Discussion in 'Officers' started by Cymru_am_Byth, Dec 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How long does it take to get an army number from the date of attestation (specifically for DE TAPO)?

I've heard Glasgow can be terrible at this sort of thing (or is it everything?)

Any ideas anyone?
  2. Absolutely no difference for DETAPO to any other enlistment. Situation becomes a bit confused if you have previous service, especially previous service in Navy or RAF.

In my experience the main hold ups are at sub-unit level and everyone blames APC (wrongly) because they're an easy target (by custom and practise). I am aware of an ARRSEr who has recently "bucked" the system and bypassed his own unit completely getting himself attested in under a week when his own unit had blamed "Glasgow" for 10 - the power of ARRSE :D. My advice is go and see your PSAO again (or RTC AO) and keep the pressure on for them to do something. It's their job!

Edit to add - answer to your question: it takes as long as it takes - but making it happen is down to you, especially if you have aspirations to be an Officer. (It shouldn't have to be but that's the situation we are in right now - see loads of other threads on the same subject)
  3. Did you mean AGC? The corporal on my squadron is pretty solid at his job, and so is the PSAO. They got it done as soon as they could, the only delay was with my RJ8 (medical docs werent at doctor's until about 2months after joining, due to recent changing of doctor's).
  4. ^You've answered your own question. Med docs at your own doctor's not readily available. And the first thing that happens in your post is a suggestion that APC Glasgow are "terrible at this sort of thing". :roll:
  5. I only got attested last saturday, I was just wondering how long it would take from last Saturday, I'm not counting the 2 months beforehand. Obviously It's not in Glasgow's hands until I'm attested, I'm just wondering the time estimation from the date of attestation.

6. q_a_v I'm really not trying to be difficult. I'm fuffed to chuck that you are joining, even more so as a DETAPO but it is impossible to give you an estimation as there are just way too many variables. All I can say with absolute certainty is that if your unit pushes it will come through sooner. Only you can push your unit. (See your post on RCB about self motivation for a PO ;))
  7. The self motivation is not a problem, I went to RHQ myself and got all my kit, everything, now I get told we are only supposed to go and get 1 pair of boots and a sleeping bag for the first weekend.

Saves me a job in the future, I suppose
  8. Being the ARRSEr that Abacus is referring to I thought I would elaborate.

I was regular RAF Regt, but your unit must see the original of your service record. I phoned PMC Innesworth and basically sweet-talked the girl on my desk to send my records. She came good and sent them. They arrived on a Wednesday morning and I basically badgered my PSAO until I got a hearing test at 7pm a medical at 9pm and attested at 9.30pm!! It is all in your own hands...I either got myself a reputation as an impatient b'stard or someone who gets things done, either way I got it done double quick and was accepted onto my course asap. I must point out I had a little help from Abacus, but hey - what is ARRSE for if not smoothing a few passages!!!! Pardon the pun.
  9. ^ impatient b'stard I reckon :lol:
  10. Who better to learn from than the Abacus !!!!!!
  11. The abacus, or soroban as it is called in Brigade, is one of the first objects that strongly attracts the attention of the recruit in the Army. When he attends a course, he soon notices that the DS do not perplex him with mental arithmetic, but instead seizes his Abacus, prepare it by a tilt and a rattling sweep of his hand, and after a deft manipulation of rapid clicks, reads off the information. It is true that the DS often uses his board and beads even when the problem is simple enough to be done in one's head, but this is only because the use of the abacus has become a habit with him. If he tried, he could no doubt easily add combat estimate and 7 questions in his head. But such is the force of habit that he does not try to recognize the simplicity of any problem; instead, following the line of least resistance, he adjusts his soroban for manipulation, and begins clicking the beads, thus escaping any need of mental effort.

Doubtlessly the recruit, with his belief in the powers of mental arithmetic and the modern calculating machine, often mistrusts the efficiency of such a primitive looking instrument.

However, his mistrust of the Abacus is likely to be transformed into admiration when he gains some knowledge concerning it.

For the Abacus, which can perform in a fraction of time, a difficult set of orders that the recruit could do laboriously only by means of pencil and TAMs and paper, possesses distinct advantages over mental and written strategy.

The DS with his Abacus would easily outstrip a rapid and accurate recruit even with his TAMS.

An exciting contest between the abacus and the TAMS was held in Edinburgh, under the sponsorship of the Army newspaper, Soldier. In reporting the contest, Soldier remarked:

"The machine age tool took a step backward yesterday as the abacus, centuries old, dealt defeat to the most up-to-date recruit...The abacus victory was decisive."

The Times reported the contest as follows:

"Civilization, on the threshold of the atomic age, tottered Monday afternoon as the 40-year-old abacus beat the recruit in adding, subtracting, dividing and a problem including all three with multiplication thrown in.
  12. Excerpted from the book, "The Japanese Abacus, Its Use and Theory", by Takashi Kojima, Charles E.
  13. & Feel free to add it to my ARRSEPedia entry - HERE
  14. Abacus, NAP......get a room! :lol: