De-activated Browning advice needed

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by steven seagull, Apr 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My dad has converted a spare room into an office recently and has his photos, memorabilia and an old spec SLR all over the walls.

His birthday is coming up in a few months and I was thinking of getting him a deactivated Browning and putting it in a case similar to the mess Webley Arrse charity did around Christmas.

I've seen a few on the DWS Deactivated site but wanted to know if any Arrsers know of any other reliable suppliers I can have a look at?

Also whats the difference between old spec and new spec? His SLR is old spec and he took great delight in stripping it down to show my lad how it worked and wanted to know if you can still do this with the new spec's as these seem to be the only ones available in the price range I'm looking at (£400 - £500)

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  2. New spec the whole thing is welded up, nothing strippable, I think even the hammer is welded though I can't swear to that.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Why pay £500 for a de-act when Big Vern down at the docks will sort you out with a pukka one for a ton? If you ask nicely he'll even throw in some 9mm dum dums and the address's of a few local coppers.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I live in Nottingham mate, I could probably pick up a live MAC-10 for the same price but couldn't trust the old psycho not to brass up next doors cat or re-enact Loughall with the local kids on their mopeds.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. This is the problem I'm having, I know the VCRA prevents how many moving parts a deac can now have but there doesn't seem to be any uniformity to how its done.

DWS on their site state that their weapons are able to be cocked and fired but also state that they are new spec? I'm suppose its down to the individual armourer as to how its deactivated?

Anyone bought from any of these suppliers?
  6. In that case the slide is almost certainly welded to the frame. The ones I've seen are welded up like a nun's clunge, but it's possible that the welder got a bit carried away in that case. Unless it specifically says the wpn can be stripped, it's new spec.
  7. Pick any supplier and give them a ring and find out exactly what new spec means with regards the type of deact you want.
  8. It looks as though that's the best thing to do.

I don't even know if he'll want to strip it down but its nice to have the option.

Thanks N_D.
  9. We just got a 9mm back from de-ac, the hammer comes back and releases but that's it. The VCRA stipulates that it must be impossible to return to a firing state.
    So cue much welding, drilling and filing.

Also you may wish to look into the status of the SLR, depending on when/ how it was deactivated it may require some extra work.
  10. I dont think the act is retrospective if youve got the chit issued by Proof House its OK
  11. Yep, SLR is pre VCRA update so proof house chit makes it legal.
  12. That's correct. If you had to submit an old spec de-act for some reason it would be de acted to the newest standard.
  13. Old spec was basically a matter of what the deactivator thought he could get away with. In many cases it was just the breech face ground at an angle of 45 degrees and the barrel had a hole drilled thru it and a steel rod was pushed thru and tacked into place. It used to take a competent gunsmith or a half trained drug dealer about an hour to reverse the deactivation on the very early ones.

Mr Seagull, Sir. Why not look at replicas and/or steel airsoft brownings. Replicas generally field strip as per original and an airsoft would let your old man annoy the neighbours cat.

Land Warrior Airsoft Ltd Other Pistols

Wolf Armouries Airsoft Shop