DDG CO, XO and CMC relieved at sea.

I saw this today and there is no explanation as the the reason but the Captain, Executive Officer and Command Master Chief have been removed pending an investigation.

http://news.usni.org/2014/09/16/des...229644641&mc_cid=721620fecf&mc_eid=e7cfdefe9d

The CO and XO can easily be removed for "lack of confidence in ability to command" but it is tough to remove a Chief. About 20 years ago a friend was given command of a very troubled boomer. He said that the toughest job he ever had in the Navy was firing a chief.

I saw this today and there is no explanation as the the reason but the Captain, Executive Officer and Command Master Chief have been removed pending an investigation.

http://news.usni.org/2014/09/16/destroyer-skipper-xo-cmc-relieved-sea-ahead-command-climate-investigation?utm_source=USNI News&utm_campaign=721620fecf-USNI_NEWS_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_914494fc00-721620fecf-229644641&mc_cid=721620fecf&mc_eid=e7cfdefe9d

The CO and XO can easily be removed for "lack of confidence in ability to command" but it is tough to remove a Chief. About 20 years ago a friend was given command of a very troubled boomer. He said that the toughest job he ever had in the Navy was firing a chief.

I do admire the US military's capability to be utterly ruthless - whether for good reason or not will doubtless emerge in time.

I did see an article that said that the NCIS is conducting a criminal investigation of an incident of so,me sort during liberty in the 6th fleet area. Also, a few months ago a female petty officer apparently commited suicide on board.

The RN have relieved COs, but to my knowledge never the entire Command Team. I know someone who was a JO on Somerset when this **** was in "command. Their opinions are pretty much unprintable.............

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
The RN have relieved COs, but to my knowledge never the entire Command Team. I know someone who was a JO on Somerset when this **** was in "command. Their opinions are pretty much unprintable.............

Don't know about "entire command team" but a 23 had a scythe taken to its top team during a bad FOST in 2007 or thereabouts: CO, XO, and CHOPS(R) at least all told to leave the ship.

Blimey! I've never even seen a CO removed from command. A few RSMs, an Adjt and two sqn comds; but never a whole team in one go.

To be fair, I've only ever met one CO who should never have been allowed into the position, but he was another corps.

The XO was subsequently cleared of his "sacking".

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Toxic leadership at sea is fairly easy if the Cpt is a tit.

A four-star in charge of a frigate? That's unusual, you'd have thought he would have a whole fleet.

IIRC after the bullying incidents in 1 KOSB back in the mid-80s, the CO and RSM got sacked; after Coalisland, GOC 3 Bde, and (I think) the CO and RSM 3 PARA got sacked...

mso

LE
To be fair, I've only ever met one CO who should never have been allowed into the position, but he was another corps.

Clearly you have never met any of the, er, ahem, 2XI that have been fobbed off onto the TA/AR....

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
The XO was subsequently cleared of his "sacking".

I only know the vague outlines of the tale, because the CHOPS(R) ended up with us and mentioned it in passing, but quite clearly didn't want to go into much detail. (Whatever the rights or wrongs were, he didn't get a reprieve... kept his rank and seemed to be respected still, so not really sure what actually happened; and probably better to leave those skeletons in the closet)

Overall it was our gain because whatever the story had been, he was a thoroughly good guy to work with while I knew him; not allergic to putting in some effort, able to play nicely with civilians as well as uniforms, and a good instructor who seemed to genuinely enjoy helping others learn (I cribbed a lot off him for my taskbook, to good effect).

I think he ended up being headhunted by another Commonwealth navy... hope he's doing well.

mso

LE
"USNI News has learned there was at least one “liberty incident” when the ship made a port call to the Seychelles off the Eastern coast of Africa."

liberty incident? What's one of those?

Latest Threads