Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I know its along time ago and memories fade, but who did take the legs away from the AMS?

Who sanctioned the dismemberment of the QEMH, DKMH and CMH?

Who decided the cutbacks within the AMS?

Are they still serving, if so no names.

Was it some bean counting manderin in MoD?

Just wondered.
  2. No just a t-sser who knew the price of everything but the true value of nothing
  3. BD

Can only agree, DCS was the end of DMS as a separate entity from being tied in to the NHS. There is plenty of comment on how a mil hosp is unviable because the DMS cannot keep clinicians up to date and provide the necessary experience. Its all money and treasury led, you could have a military hospital with clinicians gaining experience by working for periods in other facilities but at a price that most of the hierarcy of the day didnt or wouldnt spend. Our NATO allies have got rid of all their Mil Hosps havnt they?

4. Not so, the vast majority of NATO forces have thier own military hospitals, and not just NATO forces, France (NATOish) has seven one of which is regarded as one of the finest haemotology units in the world, the one that Yaser Arafat was treated in.
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The Germans have atleast 4.
  6. Don't these countries still run conscription? If you force someone to do something against there will, I would say you have an additional duty of care to ensure they are looked after. Lets not forget the UK military is voluntary.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

French conscription ended in 2001.

The Germans have 50,000 conscripts of a Standing Army of 250,000. i.e. 1 in 5.
  8. I see your point, but does that mean you think there is a lower duty of care to the UK regulars?

I'd think it was the same - you have to look after your employees who are at risk of "industrial" injuries, whether that's a sprained ankle gained on a tab or a newly acquired bullet hole.

9. That seems to be the main point of this government, the duty of care to the British service man or woman is scandalous to say the least, especially once they reach these shores and are thrown to the NHS.

As outlined earlier by Ronin, the only thing keeping it back is an unwillingness to shell out the cash to get us a military hospital. Back in the days, prior to DCS-15, QEMH was the envy of the SE of London. All the civvies wanted to go there because of the standard of care. Between all the military hospitals, almost every speciality was covered, so the lack of training point was a blatant lie.

Unfortunately this government will not admit to making a mistake but just spout out pure spin and if they try the military run wards, like Frimley Park had, see them fill with over 65's and the difficult patients. :evil:
  10. Not too sure about that D-L. I think we lost our Teaching Hospital status because the volume and range of cases in each hospital was not enough to give our doctors the bredth of experience of their civvy counterparts. Once the Teaching Hospital status went, the demise of the military hospitals was pretty inevitable.
  11. Please don't fall for that old chestnut. The CMH by itself covered a vast variety of specialties i.e. Paediatrics, Gynaecology, Obstetrics, A&E, general medical, orthopaedics. The QEMH covered burns & plastics, orthopaedics, oncology, psychiatry and a medical ward too. There was sufficient Consultant cover in those areas and training was in conjunction with some of the big London hospitals. So the premise of " lack of expertise and training" doesn't hold. It was purely financial. I could rant about the amount of patients the CMH saw on a daily basis but it brings back the nightmares of when I was on-call there :frustrated:
  12. Quite right, the specialities were there, but (as stated above) I'm sure the volume (or lack of) of cases was a big driver towards the loss of Teaching Hospital status.

D-L; ranting - I can't believe that! However, I remember walking round the CMH and seeing more empty beds than occupied ones.
  13. I cannot believe that!!!!! The bed occupancy was in the region of 80-90%, mainly as it was military to cope with an unforeseen influx of casualties. There may have been some empty beds at times but there were times when they were getting patients from other hospitals (Frimley & RSCH, Guildford) and these pushed them to their limits!

And the bloody A&E unit, many times the cause of no sleep!!
  14. all mil hospitals in UK were just Fd Hosps inside a brick building - and as Op Granby proved, we couldnt deploy enough staff as they had to look after the patients.

It was a slow process to get them to the surrounding NHS sites, this severely hampered our speed at 'getting out the hanger doors'

IMHO - the worst thing we as a nation ever did was close the military hospitals
  15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

So that would be a 'no', to the question of who was responsible for DCS15.