DCMH sending to medical board

Keep it short and sweet. Been under DCMH for over a year and had been diagnosed with PTSD (not from army). Unfortunately there was an isolated incident in July where I ended up in hospital drunk, full of pills. Although this happened the DCMH doctor I see still thinks I have recovered enough in that time to be upgraded. Today I have been told that although there has been positive progress and I have never been downgraded to P0 (on indefinite sick leave), the duty psychiatrist is pushing for medical discharge. Now I have to wait to see the medical board. I have been told that people in worse situations than me have fought it and won and been able to continue serving. Does anyone have any advise or previous experience that could help me fight this and be able to stay. Or any storys of DCMH that would give me a sparkle of hope

Do you know why the psychiatrist is recommending your discharge?

Regardless of anything you might have been told verbally, try asking for a written explanation of why a medical discharge has been recommended so that you can prepare yourself for your medical board.

It sounds like you have been through a very rough time. I hope you find the right way forwards.

Do you know why the psychiatrist is recommending your discharge?

Regardless of anything you might have been told verbally, try asking for a written explanation of why a medical discharge has been recommended so that you can prepare yourself for your medical board.

It sounds like you have been through a very rough time. I hope you find the right way forwards.
He said although there has been a lot of progress, the incident in July would suggest that work is too stressful. I’m trying to argue that it had nothing to do with work as I was offered indefinite leave but came back to work. I’m going to get a written statement off of higher ups saying how I am at work. Thanks, just trying to keep my job

I have been told second hand there is a push on to mag to grid a lot of people that are downgraded no deployable or with other medical issue. Keep in mind it’s second hand but the chap who said it is rather far up the food chain.

I do hope you manage to over come your troubles mate PTSD is a bitch take care old chap.

He said although there has been a lot of progress, the incident in July would suggest that work is too stressful. I’m trying to argue that it had nothing to do with work as I was offered indefinite leave but came back to work. I’m going to get a written statement off of higher ups saying how I am at work. Thanks, just trying to keep my job

That's ultimately all it is - a job.

Unless you're one of those rare beings for whom soldiering is a vocation, being in the army is just a (fairly unusual) job that you're currently doing. It's a phase in your life.

The world outside those gates is a big and exciting place. You can build a worthwhile life and have all kinds of adventures without being in the army.

I wouldn't dream of commenting on your individual case, or whether you should stay in the army. I will say this: Start working on a really positive Plan B. Think of all the things that you'd love to do with your life - and how you'd go about making it a reality if you were medically discharged.

If they do decide to discharge you, don't take it as a cruel blow. Try to embrace it as an opportunity.

Latest Threads