DCC(NAVY), (A), (RAF) FOR THE CHOP!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CGS, May 18, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

So, our man Sykes (Brigadier R M M Sykes) is for the chop!

Is this another government 'streamlining' initiative, or a cynical, opportunistic and overwhelmingly bad idea?

I thought that the services were supposed to be more accountable these days? Is it wise that the politicians make enemies from within their own trusted organisations?

Discuss

2. Probably just purely for financial reasons that these posts are to be scrapped.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the thought police of New Labour are trying to control us TOTALLY. :roll:

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Dui-lai - I know some people up there. Sadly the reason is the latter. Cut out the military from the 'spin factory' and fill it with people of your own choosing....on message and all that.

4. Its the start of the creeping politicalisation of the Military. Next we may even have new Labour advisors for each regiment/corps to ensure we "toe" the party line :evil:

5. Didn't the Russians try something similar in WWII, and I believe the PXR concluded that it wasn't a very good idea :!: :!: :!:

6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I think we already have a significant chunk of the Defence Policy Staff who might fit into that category.

Not to mention the unelected (and unaccountable) 'Special Advisers' and 'Consultants' drooging around the MOD.

7. The politicisation of the Russian military happened prior to WW2. Along with the slaughter of high ranking officers by Stalin in the 1930s it pretty much decapitated the Red rmy.

As the Great Patriotic War kicked off it became increasingly obvious that actually knowing how to soldier was more useful than political reliability and the pendulum swung the other way. Still, they never lost the principle of political oversight of the armed forces.

8. I read something (can't remember where, but it was something official like a management plan) that said that internal communication was a "key mission" or something to that effect and that all personnel should take part in the IC process. This included positive promotion of Govt policy.

I am glad I am leaving very shortly. I cannot lie to anyone about how what is happening to the Armed Forces is "good for defence" or any crap like that. Honesty is what underpins leadership and the lying s#!ts a the top are as far removed from that as they can be! I don't want to have anything to do with this shower of clowns (government/MoD) ever again!

We'll start getting commissars at unit level, with indoctrination classes next!