DBS advice

Hi guys, bit of advice needed if possible.

I've just started as a contractor for a home improvements company and was pretty gobsmacked this morning when asked to fill in a DBS application (for which they deduct £45). I've been in this industry for some 20 years and never, ever come across a position or role requiring a DBS - it's just unheard of and absolutely no reason for it. They're obviously not a registered organisation so I understand they just ping my details off to some random 3rd party company, probably in India!!

Any advice on where I stand guys - I've got nothing to hide and I understand the rationale behind checks for relevant roles but as far as I'm concerned this is a complete misuse of the system. Any advice appreciated guys.

Then again: home improvements, you'll be working in people's houses, which may contain kids...

It’s all down to why they need it I’m afraid.
If they’re just being nosy, then you’re protected under the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974.

It may be, however, that they have contracts to maintain/improve some form of social housing (old people’s homes, foster parents etc...) and you may have access to vulnerable persons. If this is the case, I’m surprised that they would charge for this.

You should ask why they require it.

62874256-86F6-4CE2-8C7B-C4ACAFFC8B0D.png

Like he said.

ugly

LE
Network Rail also demands it for contractors working for them, the agencies should pony up the cash, they make enough cash on the deals!

I've been in similar positions - basically if they do (or want to do) work for a local authority, housing association, major landlord, nursing home etc then it's highly likely that that any staff working on those contracts would be required have some form of background check. Checking all the employees reduces the problems that occur when one person in a van can go to a site but the other can't so someone from another job miles away has to drive to do the work instead etc etc. Having said that I don't think they should be charging you for it..

If you do need one it's probably worth trying to get a transferable one. I forget the details but last time I got a check done they only last with the organisation that you apply to work with. A transferable one is yours and still valid if you move companies.

Added to what other people have said, if you need a DBS check to do your job then the company should pay for it.

My mrs needs one for her work and she has to pay for a new one herself every couple of years.
From my rather sketchy memory if she's staying in the same job it shouldn't need replacing. Something like 3 months out of the job might need a replacement check done.

Network Rail also demands it for contractors working for them, the agencies should pony up the cash, they make enough cash on the deals!
Snap, having just started as an NR contractor today I was asked to do likewise for my agency, I think it was £25 though but would have to check to be sure.

DBS is used by employers to get around the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 in that a spent conviction need not be declared.

You can get a PNC check for free.

SWMBO and rainman2 have both needed them for volunteering at a local charity dealing with disabled clients, they paid a tenner each. SWMBO also has one for her job at the local school, but it's not transferable.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

SWMBO and rainman2 have both needed them for volunteering at a local charity dealing with disabled clients, they paid a tenner each. SWMBO also has one for her job at the local school, but it's not transferable.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
It’s free if you’re a volunteer.

If your work/volunteering takes you into contact with children or vulnerable people, you should have one. Many DBS checks are done through third party organisations, hence the cost. And they should be flexible/transferable. Years ago you needed one for the football youth team, one for work, one for the charity you worked for etc. They have a degree of portability.
Spent convictions are still that, but if you have records on PNC, it will be disclosed.

Waz

Old-Salt
From my rather sketchy memory if she's staying in the same job it shouldn't need replacing. Something like 3 months out of the job might need a replacement check done.
Same job, enhanced DBS. I don't recall if it's every 2 or 3 years, but her employer gets everyone to renew theirs. Kind of makes sense really because you could have committed all sorts of crimes since the initial check if you work somewhere a long time.
I only know this because she renewed recently.

Hi guys, bit of advice needed if possible.

I've just started as a contractor for a home improvements company and was pretty gobsmacked this morning when asked to fill in a DBS application (for which they deduct £45). I've been in this industry for some 20 years and never, ever come across a position or role requiring a DBS - it's just unheard of and absolutely no reason for it. They're obviously not a registered organisation so I understand they just ping my details off to some random 3rd party company, probably in India!!

Any advice on where I stand guys - I've got nothing to hide and I understand the rationale behind checks for relevant roles but as far as I'm concerned this is a complete misuse of the system. Any advice appreciated guys.
Mentioning 'guys' three times in an opening post may alienate other members of this site. You mention that the home improvement company are 'obviously' not registered, so you are unsure, and make a mad accusation that your personal information will end up in India.

I do not feel inclined to help you out.

If your work/volunteering takes you into contact with children or vulnerable people, you should have one. Many DBS checks are done through third party organisations, hence the cost. And they should be flexible/transferable. Years ago you needed one for the football youth team, one for work, one for the charity you worked for etc. They have a degree of portability.
Spent convictions are still that, but if you have records on PNC, it will be disclosed.
It's only transferable if you apply for it do be so, within 30 days of getting it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
legobrick Finance, Property, Law 28
Old Stab Finance, Property, Law 21
D MoD News 0