dazzle camouflage for the middle east?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by maguire, Jun 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

WW2 naval dazzle-camo 'could beat Taliban RPGs' • The Register

'Biologists and trick-cyclists at Bristol uni say they have performed experiments indicating that if British troops were to use the "dazzle camouflage" favoured for warships in the World Wars on their vehicles in Afghanistan, this would make them harder to hit with RPG anti-armour rockets, a favourite Taliban weapon.

Dr Nick Scott-Samuel, psychologist and lead researcher on the study, wrote:
    The effect should obtain... on modern, low-tech battlefields where handheld weapons are fired from short ranges against moving vehicles. We show that in a typical situation involving an RPG7 attack on a Land Rover the reduction in perceived speed would be sufficient to make the grenade miss where it was aimed by about a metre, which could be the difference between survival or otherwise for the occupants of the vehicle.'

so, coming soon to british armour?​
  2. Curiously I had a dream about this about nine months ago. The system I imagined included texture. Was quite plausible.

I'll shut up now :/

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Apparently not if you read the conclusions of the article.
  4. Should use this:

5. Is this not replacing MTP?
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it cant hurt can it, anything which makes someone look twice can make a difference, I remember making an urban ghillie suit using the same technique, stitching together lots of that horrible sheeting they used to throw at us for camming the wagons.

how a bout a nice paisley?

I remember in the balkans watching irregulars in rather bone patterned civvy skiwear and it was surprisingly effective at breaking up their appearance
  7. Aha1 the old Mandelbrot set, very chaotic, and constantly repetative, check the theory out.