Daysack.

Chaps and ladies, I’m looking for a robust daysack for fishing hiking and fishing etc.

Amazon has lots of ally examples in MTP, but I think they could be crap copies from China, so what I’m after is an issue one, because, despite the obvious ‘made by the lowest bidder’ thing, issued kit still tends to be a lot more robust than anything shipped from the Orient.

The question is, how do I spot an issue one online, were they made (and labelled as such) by a specific manufacturer?

If anyone has one kicking about in the garage I’d be interested in buying it, with a budget of 25 quid or so (the average price online for a new imitation in mtp).

Putting it here in the naafi ‘cos I know that’s where you perverts spend most of your time, hoping for pics of boobies and bottoms. ;-)

(Mods please move if required).
I would either look for a Used NI Patrol Pack, if you don't mind DPM, or a Berghaus Munro (thought this may be out of budget).

I've had a North Face daysack for well over ten years, I've used it for everything from walking round the lake district to carrying tools, abused it on work sites and had 25 kg of metal offcuts in it , the only thing that's given way so far is the materiel in the front has ripped, all the zips, clips and straps are still good, it can easily be repaired and kept going.

Funny old thing, I've got an issued but unused one in my attic. It is in pristine condition.
I always thought of them as a cracking design. Big enough for a 24 hour bash in the ulu, not so big as to tempt you to overload.

Civvy use of cammo daysacks a bit cringy for me.
I've had my TNF daysack for 20 years, and it's still gleaming, but it's had an easier life humping squishy stuff around, small enough for a cabin bag, big enough for 10 - 14 days gear.

Because it's not military there's no drama taking it on foreign jaunts. It's surprising how many places get the arse with 'combat' looking kit.

Plus I feel and look less of a cnut (impossible for me not to look a bit of a cnut).

I always thought of them as a cracking design. Big enough for a 24 hour bash in the ulu, not so big as to tempt you to overload.
I've still got the Arktis Patrol Pack that I purchased in the RMAS shop in 1996. I managed to get a pair of matching shade of DPM side pouches for it and it is still going strong. Great for wildcamping up on the Ridgeway.

Go Outdoors is in trouble, heading for admin, may be worth a look.
The holding company, JD Sports, purchased Go Outdoors back from the administrators for c.£55m. This has secured the company and allows for suppliers to be paid, but there is a big question mark hanging over the 67 stores nationwide.

I was in my local Go Outdoors on Saturday, buying some tent pegs and a replacement tent pole. Some sections were almost completely devoid of stock, which is never a good sign.

Awol

LE
Civvy use of cammo daysacks a bit cringy for me.
I've had my TNF daysack for 20 years, and it's still gleaming, but it's had an easier life humping squishy stuff around, small enough for a cabin bag, big enough for 10 - 14 days gear.

Because it's not military there's no drama taking it on foreign jaunts. It's surprising how many places get the arse with 'combat' looking kit.

Plus I feel and look less of a cnut (impossible for me not to look a bit of a cnut).
I don’t think it’s cringy to use a single item of issued kit if one is fishing or gardening etc. It’s simply the best value for money, is robust stuff, plentiful and being surplus, is usually cheap as chips.

Going shopping in full DPM however is obviously just f****** weird. (I once lived with a girl for a few weeks whose brother in law not only did the gardening in what he said were WW2 German sniper’s coveralls, but also the shopping....).

I don’t think it’s cringy to use a single item of issued kit if one is fishing or gardening etc. It’s simply the best value for money, is robust stuff, plentiful and being surplus, is usually cheap as chips.

Going shopping in full DPM however is obviously just f****** weird. (I once lived with a girl for a few weeks whose brother in law not only did the gardening in what he said were WW2 German sniper’s coveralls, but also the shopping....).
I'm not averse to using military kit under certain civvy circumstances, but a daysack or larger is limited to fishing etc, which lowers its value for money, as you'll look a bit of a c0ck at Stansted with it (and have it confiscated by some border guards - Carribbean islands for sure).

My brother (lives in Shrivenham) told me that last week he saw someone in black boots, MTP trousers, DPM rucksack, green t-shirt and wearing a respirator walking round a local town. He guessed (hoped) that he was off to some airsoft bukkake session and couldn't find his COVID19 mask.

Awol

LE
I'm not averse to using military kit under certain civvy circumstances, but a daysack or larger is limited to fishing etc, which lowers its value for money, as you'll look a bit of a c0ck at Stansted with it (and have it confiscated by some border guards - Carribbean islands for sure).
Understood. But for fishing I don’t care what colour it is and anything issued has got to be better than the crap I bought from Millets.

I have one of these (albeit in tan). Excellent and affordable.

Pro Force

Chaps and ladies, I’m looking for a robust daysack for fishing hiking and fishing etc.

Amazon has lots of ally examples in MTP, but I think they could be crap copies from China, so what I’m after is an issue one, because, despite the obvious ‘made by the lowest bidder’ thing, issued kit still tends to be a lot more robust than anything shipped from the Orient.

The question is, how do I spot an issue one online, were they made (and labelled as such) by a specific manufacturer?

If anyone has one kicking about in the garage I’d be interested in buying it, with a budget of 25 quid or so (the average price online for a new imitation in mtp).

Putting it here in the naafi ‘cos I know that’s where you perverts spend most of your time, hoping for pics of boobies and bottoms. ;-)

(Mods please move if required).
This one ain't bad.

Holy shit! I was going to recommend a Berghaus Centurio- an updated Munro with molle and added side pockets. The side pockets are sold separately and can be used either singly or zipped together and used as an alternative smaller pack with their own yoke.
I bought mine for about £70 all in, the cheapest I just saw on the bay was about £120 (inc p&p) for a brown one from Germany.
Good though.

Latest Threads