Daysack.

Awol

LE
Chaps and ladies, I’m looking for a robust daysack for hiking and fishing etc.

Amazon has lots of ally examples in MTP, but I think they could be crap copies from China, so what I’m after is an issue one, because, despite the obvious ‘made by the lowest bidder’ thing, issued kit still tends to be a lot more robust than anything shipped from the Orient.

The question is, how do I spot an issue one online, were they made (and labelled as such) by a specific manufacturer?

If anyone has one kicking about in the garage I’d be interested in buying it, with a budget of 25 quid or so (the average price online for a new imitation in mtp).

Putting it here in the naafi ‘cos I know that’s where you perverts spend most of your time, hoping for pics of boobies and bottoms. ;-)

(Mods please move if required).

Last edited:
Actually just the other day I sent off a LBT daysack to be copied in MTP, I'm making my own bit's and pieces now and reselling etc, I was going to loan that fellow Smudge who does Military Kit Reviews one for his YouTube channel, the prices they are charge for their Multicam stuff in the US is outrageous.

FYI I've had stuff done in China but using UK materials the stuff was top nnotch but I did pay top notch

Actually why should it be MTP the one you have? What's wrong with MOD daysack in BLACK?

Jungle-Bergen.jpg

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Best stuff to go for on EBay is usually advertised by Paras, Booties or Special Forces. Oddly, there is quite a surplus. Occasionally you might find the odd RLC bit of kit, mainly still in its original packaging.

Awol

LE
That's the bit that I don't get, why would you want MTP? I know that carp fisherman, in particular, prefer subdued colours, but the majority of their gear is sold in OG.
I don’t necessarily want one in mtp. I want an issue one and I assumed they’d only be available in mtp.

Also, you could try Millican; it's in OG, not MTP, but a very robust piece of kit:

The Fraser model comes in two sizes - 25l and 32l.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
An old aquaintance of mine runs Strikeforce Supplies, mostly UK surplus stuff but there is this:-
or this
or this
The last two are pretty rubbish but even with shipping are in your stated budget :thumleft:

ETA: I've got various KarrimorSF daysacks / bergens back from when I used to sell 'em as a sideline, most have had a tough life and have lasted well - don't know what their current stuff is like as the last time I bought from them was well over ten years ago.

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily want one in mtp. I want an issue one and I assumed they’d only be available in mtp.
The issue Karrimor's in MTP were an ops purchase and stocks have been exhausted. Getting hold of a Virtus daysack will prove challenging. The MoD pattern Camelbak is another option - it is an issue item for places like Kenya but available to purchase privately. I've seen them for sale in the NAAFI shops in Lisburn and Innsworth, for example.

In_Twists

Clanker
Those black issue daysacks are crap. Utter crap. They are only good for carrying a lunchbox if you're AG Corps, or a few books on How to be a Para if you're RAF Regt. Don't get one.

Issue daysacks are good and there is no magic formula to buying a good one. You're a grown up - if you've seen one, OODA loop it (Orientate, Observe, Decide, then Action). The clue is in the name - issue/genuine etc as someone has already said, loads of ex blokes have stuff for sale.

Berghaus Munro is always good but has no outside pouches. That one pictured above looks ok but is probably top dollar.

Awol

LE
The issue Karrimor's in MTP were an ops purchase and stocks have been exhausted. Getting hold of a Virtus daysack will prove challenging. The MoD pattern Camelbak is another option - it is an issue item for places like Kenya but available to purchase privately. I've seen them for sale in the NAAFI shops in Lisburn and Innsworth, for example.
Thanks HM. So Karrimor and Virtus are the ones to to out for on EBay etc. That’s what I wanted to know. My issued pack was designed to fit between kidney pouches and a tin hat :cool: things have happily improved since then.

Those black issue daysacks are crap. Utter crap. They are only good for carrying a lunchbox if you're AG Corps, or a few books on How to be a Para if you're RAF Regt. Don't get one.
I got given one of them at RAF Waddington stores without asking for it; apparently, the Station Commander at the time did not like people bimbling into work with a wide variety of bags on display. You could carry an issue MTP one, a black one or the RAF Blue one with RAF crest on it. I took mine, threw it in the boot of my car together with the pile of T-shirts, warm weather socks, microfibre towels and a laundry bag that I had asked for and promptly forgot about it. For the remainder of the fortnight that I was there, I did not get stopped or challenged once.

Thanks HM. So Karrimor and Virtus are the ones to to out for on EBay etc. That’s what I wanted to know. My issued pack was designed to fit between kidney pouches and a tin hat :cool: things have happily improved since then.
I had a 58 pattern large pack when I joined...

I have a green 33 l daysack. Purchased in 1999 from the PRI at 14 Sigs for the purpose of carrying my flask and butties. It did countless exercises, weekends away, lugging stuff about, three op tours, a posting to a phase 1 training unit and is still going strong. At this rate it will outlast me and be fought over by you lot along with my boots (12M by the way) and the West Wales heat of “Hunt the tenner “ ( note, it’s NOT under the toaster - Mrs D doesn’t like it disturbed as it makes crumbs and that is A Bad Thing). Said daysack cost about ten quid twenty years ago.

In_Twists

Clanker
I got given one of them at RAF Waddington stores without asking for it; apparently, the Station Commander at the time did not like people bimbling into work with a wide variety of bags on display. You could carry an issue MTP one, a black one or the RAF Blue one with RAF crest on it. I took mine, threw it in the boot of my car together with the pile of T-shirts, warm weather socks, microfibre towels and a laundry bag that I had asked for and promptly forgot about it. For the remainder of the fortnight that I was there, I did not get stopped or challenged once.
I hated going on external courses. There was always some bellend who had been given powers above his paygrade (and ability) banging on about dress.

Latest Threads