DayGlo Orange - is it the best colour?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by happybonzo, Feb 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you want to be rescued on land is DayGlo orange the best colour to use? A few of us were talking about this last night and some one mentioned that Blue may well be the best colour. His argument was something to do with the colour spectrum and a person's eyesight. I couldn't follow the discussion too well as M. Martell was working overtime
  2. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

He is correct about blue being the easiest to see from the air etc. Don't know about the scientific crap though, but I know blue worked for us in afghan.
  3. I came across this exact discussion thirty years ago on a mountain rescue course; opinion and a few unscientific trials was that both worked in daylight but a fairly pale blue worked better at night.
  4. There is a new(ish) HLS marker panel issued now, it is half light blue and half light pink with pockets sewn in and reflective strips on one side, made in lightweight parachute nylon.

It works fantastically in Temperate and Desert locations, the difference in contrast and the straight line between really draws the eye in. (why things are seen etc)

Will post the NSN when I dig it out of my daysack.
  5. NSN as promised

Marker Panel Lightweight
  6. Opinions vary.

If you require rescuing from a forested area or moor land, DayGlo orange is as good as anything else. If you'e in the midst of a Hare Krishna festival, trapped in a Buddhist monastery or the only Catholic at an Orange Order march, it's worse than useless.

In such circumstances, always go equipped and carry a flare pistol. As the helicopter approaches, discharge a single, red flare. With any luck, it will be ingested by one of the helicopter's engines. The resultant crash and massive fireball will be visible for miles and is sure to attract rescuers to your location.

Hope that helps.
  7. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

I would have thought that it is all dependent on background. Orange I would think is going to stand out better against a green backround whereas blue will stand out better against a yellow or blue (sea) background. I seem to remember that some of the SF guys in Vietnam wandered around in blue Levi's, but I may well be wrong and no doubt will be corrected by some with a greater knowledge on here.

I can say from experience that when it comes to the little coloured tops to hi viz tops the blue (that the police use) and the green (that the med services use) do blend to look like the same colour from a distance and can get confusing when everyone is wearing black trousers.