Day to day life as a Information Systems Engineer?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by hks44, Sep 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i was wondering how long phase 2 training would be to become a information systems engineer and what would my day to day life be like after ive been posted, like what jobs would i be doing?

2. Part 1 of your question = 16-17 weeks, depending upon seasonal variations e.g. leave periods.

3. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Engineering Systems with Information on them. Is a starter for ten.

4. Come on now, we don't want him to think we're all sarcastic cnuts!!

:D :D :D

5. lol :D yea i know that but its not like you gonna be doing that allday everyday isit??

6. It really depends on the unit you are going to.

You may well spend each and every day working on the kit you deploy with or you may just be providing 1st/2nd line support for equipment you never actually work on.

Hope for the first option but if not then make sure you dont just sit in the workshops shimfing all day long.

7. Depends what unit you go to mate. Have you already joined up?

8. na not yet just doing some training but im very intrested in being a information system engineer and a few other jobs in the signal cos im very good with computer and things of that nature

9. You're unlikely to become an Information Systems Engineer, because the trade is becoming combined with the Systems Engineering Technician into what will be called Communication Systems Engineer, apparently from April. It will be rather a long course but I've seen an overview of the content and it looks very good.

10. is the content overview open for public to see? or not, because im intrested in this sort of thing but i wanna read up on everything before i make any final desisions

11. Not yet, because they're still working on it. Serving members with a DII account can check out the DCCIS website (PM me if you need a URL) and check it out, but the whole skillset is a work-in-progress. I have a fair idea of what's involved, so PM me if you want me to answer specific questions/issues and I will investigate.

12. PD,

Now I agree with the SOINC direction with regards to our trades and believe it to be true way ahead to keep up with technology.

Can you shed any light on what’s going to happen with serving soldiers.

Considering the vast majority of IS Ops are biffed techs or techs that were going nowhere or couldn't be arsed to drag themselves back to Blandford and the rest of the trade group are from other corps/arms. How are the gaps in the IS Ops skill sets compared to a tech going to be filled. Is it going to be an amalgamation course run at DCCIS or is it going to be some bodged together pre-employment training. So for example I'm of to an IS post in a cormorant unit so I'll go off and do course xyz?

Also. What’s the bobby moore with supervisors? Are these 6 week coursed sups going to merge into one supervisor stream and be given the FofS title or are they going to maintain a split between the two?

Cheers

B_T

13. I acknowledge and understand the first comment and think that the trade still has a few (although diminishing) of those types. My own personal belief, however, is that those days have gone and the new blood of IS types have a lot to give in their own right. Far too many people in our Corps seem to think that we (the corps) exist for no reason other than 'that's the way it has always been', however the self-licking lollipop approach would never be accepted in the real world. If we apply an objective 'business' approach, we all exist as a means to an end and therefore we all have to provide value to the chain of command. Our job in the RSIGNALS is to play our part in the decision making ability of our relevant operational commanders. These days, with IT/IS/ICT/ICS whatever you want to call it, that means exploiting whatever technology is at hand and therefore there is an increasing demand on the people who not only understand how it all works but those who have a grasp on the emerging technologies and how we can actually exploit them top best effect.

And by the way, Tiprat, although the old ADPs didn't have to go to Blandford, these days the IS Class 1 is 6 months of hard graft, so I feel it's an unfair accusation to accuse the current mob of switching trades to avoid Blandford.

It could be argued the "gaps in the IS Ops skill sets compared to a tech" have narrowed to some extent, as we rarely carry out repairs of analog ciruits and other feats of electronic engineering any more. I always felt that the Sys Eng Tech should concentrate on WAN engineering and networking protocols, network security - basically transporting and securing packets (or cells or whatever protocol is appropriate) from A to B , and wireless technology, while the IS guys should concentrate on LAN technology and information services - so dealing with those packets on arrival and working out how best to interpret them. I suppose a reasonable analogy could be to compare the difference between Data and Information. My sources suggest that the current IS courses will keep almost all of their content, while the Tech courses will have an awful lot chopped out because it is simply no longer relevant for 21st century comms.

My sources have suggested that people will go on a pre-Class 1 course at DCCIS, to catch up on the other side of the fence. BTW your example of Cormorant is ironic - very few techs (outside SST) even understand anything outside how to make the phones work, so the learning curve is a lot higher in the opposite direction! How many techs do you know mathematical principles and techniques outside the Blandford environment?

As for Supervisors...who knows. I hear that there will be a study initiated in Autumn 09, although one only finds these things out if you have a TDT or MCM roadshow. I have heard some people suggest that secrecy is a disguise for confusion, i.e. designed to buy some time, however I think that they want to analyse the results of the Class 3 CS Engr and see if they're happy with the results.

In summary, I think it's unwise to write off IS as a fad.

14. PD check PM's