Day Skipper theory.......is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by 11D, Jun 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 11D

11D Old-Salt

I am thinking about doing my day skipper theory and have been told by many that it is not worth doing it, just go straight on to practical and it will be fine.

Conversely others have said do it for sure as others wise I may find it more difficult on the practical

If you have a basic understanding already of tidal streams, secondary ports etc, etc is it worth doing the course??

Coments??

2. If you are absolutely certain that your theoretical knowledge is up to speed, then do the practical, just make sure that the instructor is happy beforehand. He might ask you a few questions about what you should have covered in the theory. I bought a CD-ROM from Longbow Sailing which covered all of the theory up to Yachtmaster, with interactive tests. well worth it.

Enjoy. 8)

3. Its certainly worth reading a book before you go, or a CDROM as Cloudbuster suggested... just to make sure your theory is 100%... I saw some people on my practical course really struggle with the maths/chartwork side of things and they would have benefited from doing a theory course beforehand... in fairness to them though they had been out of school a long time... if you can work out secondary ports etc then i'm sure you'll be fine and don't need to pay for a theory course...

I reckon its worth reading up on the non-chart work side of things too... things like what propwalk is and why it affects you... the regulations for prevention of a collision at sea etc...

Tricam.

4. Colregs is one area you really need to be on top of. Although Day Skipper is an assessment of your ability to sail in familiar waters in daylight, the instructor will want to be certain that you are capable of more than just basic skills, after all, you may find yourself in poor vis, close quarters with other, larger vessels, caught out with bad weather etc. It is a good assessment of captaincy, which you will need to demonstrate if you go on beyond DS.

5. I did my Day Skipper practical earlier this year, but was the only one of four students who had not already completed the shorebased theory.

Although I still passed (and have subsequently taken the shorebased course) I certainly feel that I would have benefitted from attending the shorebased course first.

My advice is that the shorebased course is definitely worth doing before the practical, if you can fit it in.

6. Absolutely, definitely, yes - do it. Not only from point of view of practical to follow but it will be extremely beneficial when you move on to yachtmasters.

7. I teach the odd day skipper course from time to time. If you can understand coll regs, tidal heights inc secondary ports, interpellation of rates, course to steer, names of the bits of the boat, 5011, use of tidal steams then just do the practical.

For me, day skipper is about not hitting the bottom, other boats, pontoon to hard.

In the last year, only 2 out of 15 had the theory, but I still needed to work on them, as the class room stuff has to be related to practical application and does not always work.

On the other hand, if you can get the time off to go down to JSASTC to do both then fill yer boots. More chance to network, more chance to get out on the water.

8. If you are confident with your nav then don't bother, if you are even slightly concerned that you may have weak areas when you try to navigate then do the shorebased course.

The practical day skipper course at Hornet will take you through what you need to know, but the skipper on the course will not be able to spend too much time with you if you are not confident in any area.

I did the practical course without the shorebased and have never felt that I missed out on anything. However, I also managed to calculate the tide 6 hrs out while racing at Cowes Week, make of that what you will. :oops:

9. Yes, it will help you immensely if you do the theory first. That way you can concentrate on getting the most out of the practical course. Also, the stuff you cover at Day Skipper level forms the basis for the yachtmaster course later on. (My quals: Master Mariner & RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Examiner)

10. Teach yourself. Buy the RYA day skipper book, and you'll pretty much have it covered. I haven't done any of the theory courses and passed the Coastel course. To be honest none of it is rocket science. If you want a good traing book use the URL below. It worked for me. As for any information reuired, it's in the RYA Day skipper book. To be honest a week in the class room is a week you could spend on the water. Teach yourself the theory. It's not difficult. (Do revise lights, rights of way, and Buoyige)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Langley-Price%2C%20Pat/026-4542002-9654820&tag=armrumser-21

11. Sorry, n_t but I can't agree with that. There are never any short-cuts to safety at sea and you can't get all the knowledge required from a book. Experience of your own is important but why would you actively avoid taking advantage of the experience of others? Any RYA course (shorebased or otherwise) will be led by a highly experienced instructor.

12. 11D

11D Old-Salt

Cheers for your advice guys. Now loaded onto practical and theory DS course at JSASTC.