Day of the Triffids

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by polar69, Dec 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had the delights of watching the above dramatization on Sci Fi channel just before Christmas day, what a corker. Talk about post apolcaplyptic Britain living in the shadow of the cold war, excellent viewing even if the army did appear to be running WW2 trucks, a 3 tonne bedford I can forgive but a foden prime mover ?

Anyway, I never got to see this when I were a lad as it was on after my bedtime, if you get the chance take a look next time its repeated, even if onlyto see the Ford Cortinas and Ford Anglias !

2. i suppose you were born in 69? If not, then be prepared for a shock.... the army did use those vehicles until the early 80s as they were the mainstream of ten regt RCT, 3 tonne Rls and Fodens as back ups (Im sure some old fart will verify.... I loved it (we had MQs just down the road,m Gumbinner strasse).

Happy days (better than Oerlinghausen when I got posted there 10 years later).

3. Which one do you mean?

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of versions.

I used to love John Wyndham's books.

As to the Fodens, I remember seeing them at Grantham in the late eighties. Never drove any of them though.

4. It was the telly version of the book

5. It was on BBC4 during Nov/Dec this year too. It refreshed my memories from the first time round; classic stuff!

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The was a TV version with John Duttine in the 70's & the best,a film version with Howard Keel made in the 60's.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

good series

8. TV version was the best by far and is available on DVD from Amazon. Happily part of my DVD collection.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Since watching the episode in the 70's when she/he went down stairs one morning sun streaming through the curtains and threw open the curtains to be confronted by a Triffid the other side of the glass on the inside of the compound I've always opened curtains a nudge first.

Anyone else remember this scene?

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

11. There's a sequel too, imaginatively called "Night of the Triffids", by Simon Clark which is worth a read. It's quite different, yet succeeds in holding your attention until you've finished.

Corn.

12. Many thanks, Mr Happy!

I just ordered the set from a Market Place Seller for £4 and £1.25 postage!

13. much prefer little shop of horrors (the musical version)

14. There's one of those near where I live; it's called Woolworths: Full of little chavs pestering their doglike parents for the latest tmx elmo. W4nkers, the lot of them - Euthansia comes to mind somehow.

Corn.