Day of the Triffids

Had the delights of watching the above dramatization on Sci Fi channel just before Christmas day, what a corker. Talk about post apolcaplyptic Britain living in the shadow of the cold war, excellent viewing even if the army did appear to be running WW2 trucks, a 3 tonne bedford I can forgive but a foden prime mover ?

Anyway, I never got to see this when I were a lad as it was on after my bedtime, if you get the chance take a look next time its repeated, even if onlyto see the Ford Cortinas and Ford Anglias !

i suppose you were born in 69? If not, then be prepared for a shock.... the army did use those vehicles until the early 80s as they were the mainstream of ten regt RCT, 3 tonne Rls and Fodens as back ups (Im sure some old fart will verify.... I loved it (we had MQs just down the road,m Gumbinner strasse).

Happy days (better than Oerlinghausen when I got posted there 10 years later).

Which one do you mean?

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of versions.

I used to love John Wyndham's books.

As to the Fodens, I remember seeing them at Grantham in the late eighties. Never drove any of them though.

polar69 said:
Had the delights of watching the above dramatization on Sci Fi channel just before Christmas day, what a corker.
It was on BBC4 during Nov/Dec this year too. It refreshed my memories from the first time round; classic stuff!

Mr Happy

LE
Since watching the episode in the 70's when she/he went down stairs one morning sun streaming through the curtains and threw open the curtains to be confronted by a Triffid the other side of the glass on the inside of the compound I've always opened curtains a nudge first.

Anyone else remember this scene?

the_butler said:
much prefer little shop of horrors (the musical version)
There's one of those near where I live; it's called Woolworths: Full of little chavs pestering their doglike parents for the latest tmx elmo. W4nkers, the lot of them - Euthansia comes to mind somehow.

Corn.

Cornelius said:
the_butler said:
There's one of those near where I live; it's called Woolworths: Full of little chavs pestering their doglike parents for the latest tmx elmo. W4nkers, the lot of them - Euthansia comes to mind somehow.

Corn.
I have always considered Chavs as supporting the arguement for eugenics.

amazing__lobster said:
Cornelius said:
the_butler said:

Corn.
The problem won't be resolved untill Durex make burberry condoms :safe:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
me n bee said:
i suppose you were born in 69?
69? I saw the definitive film aged about 11 in 66-67 when I lived in South America. Never could follow the plot of the film though, cos the copy had been badly abused and breaks had been edited back together with no thought for the correct order of events (I am sure I saw bits from the lighthouse at least three times during the film). Finally made sense when I saw it on a satellite channel somewhere last year.

I also remember reading Wyndham's "The Kraken Wakes". I suspect this was written pre-1955 (cannot be arrsed to look it up) because the hero was a reporter for the EBC and whenever he introduced himself he had to explain, "No NOT the BBC" and there was another broadcasting corporation, suggesting it pre-dated ITV (September 1955 - a month younger than me).

the_butler said:
amazing__lobster said:
Cornelius said:
the_butler said:

Corn.
The problem won't be resolved untill Durex make burberry condoms :safe:
Wot...Like these......

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
polar69 Films, Music and All Things Artsy 31