Day of the Triffids ( BBC1 )

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by polar69, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watched the first part of "Day of the Triffids" last night, thought it was quite good and they didnt over do the special effects with cGI triffids like they could have done. Wonder when they will remake other classics such as "Threads"

2. I watched it also. Part 2 is on tonight. I really enjoyed it. A lot better than I thought it was going to be.

3. Utter crap IMHO

Dave

4. Not enough gratuitous nudity.

5. Next time I get on a plane and the security blokes asks ''Sir, Why have you got 30 life jackets in your hand baggage?''
    I will reply ''God MAN! Didn't you watch Day of the Triffids!!''

6. I thought it was quite well brought up to date, but why do TV producers insist on dressing actors playing soldiers like bags of sh*te. Surely it wouldn't be too dificult to employ someone who could show the luvvies how a uniform should be worn. Perhaps there is a niche industry in beret shaping for TV companies.

7. Agreed, obviously the BBC found the key to the 1970's Doctor Who comedy squaddies dressing up box !!

8. TV guide to servicemen:

Officers = "jolly good chaps, huzzah, pimms"
    Sergeant Majors = "shouty Windsor Davies types"
    Corporals = "scallywags, usually violent"
    Privates = "thick as pigsh*t - yes sir three bags full sir"

That's it. There are no other ranks or services. Or women.

9. maybe in tonights episode, snake pliskin will be sent into london to rescue eddie izzard as the bog on the crashing plane was obviously the presedential escape pod from escape from new york, able to withstand fire and impact

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

As a child I lived briefly in South America. The Management Club had a system for showing films several times a week, not unlike the system used by the UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron in Nicosia in the 70s and no doubt used by squaddies the world over.

They got hold of DotT but the copy had been treated badly, broken and been spliced back together with some interesting takes on continuity (there seemed to be a number of scenes where triffids randomly scaled the lighthouse steps throughout the film instead just in the run-up to the climax which made difficult my ten-year-old interpretation of the story. Luckily I found the original on TV a few years ago and finally made sense of a dimly-remembered fragmented story from my youth.

I watched the latest rendition with my own son. We both enjoyed it and I felt that despite the 21st Century updating, it stayed reasonably faithful to Wyndham right up until the end, which I felt disappointed, seeming hoping to leave enough grey area to run out a sequel.

But ultimately it was just another rework of the 28 Days Later, zombie films, etc genre, whereas the original book was a unique product of the 50s.

Actually in verifying the date above, I stumbled across this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=y7T0ex_gX_8C&dq=John+Wyndham&source=an&hl=en&ei=BRdDS6HgHp_20wTHr9XRDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=12&ved=0CDQQ6AEwCw

In 1951 John Wyndham published his novel The Day of the Triffids to moderate acclaim. Fifty-two years later, this horrifying story is a science fiction classic, touted by The Times (London) as having “all the reality of a vividly realized nightmare.”

Bill Masen, bandages over his wounded eyes, misses the most spectacular meteorite shower England has ever seen. Removing his bandages the next morning, he finds masses of sightless people wandering the city. He soon meets Josella, another lucky person who has retained her sight, and together they leave the city, aware that the safe, familiar world they knew a mere twenty-four hours before is gone forever.

But to survive in this post-apocalyptic world, one must survive the Triffids, strange plants that years before began appearing all over the world. The Triffids can grow to over seven feet tall, pull their roots from the ground to walk, and kill a man with one quick lash of their poisonous stingers. With society in shambles, they are now poised to prey on humankind. Wyndham chillingly anticipates bio-warfare and mass destruction, fifty years before their realization, in this prescient account of Cold War paranoia.

Reading the above resume from about 2003, it is difficult to fault the modern script-writers who on the face of it have nailed it. But I WAS ultimately disappointed.

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I recall listening to this on the wireless ( radio to you youngsters) in the days before everyone had a television. It was a Sunday night serial, at about 1830. It was, frankly, terrifying! Radio is much better for this sort of thing.

12. old_fat_and_hairy

I gather that the BBC are remaking 'The Quatermass Experiment' and - surprise of surprises - David Bloody Tennant will be in it. The original, as I recall, had Reginald Tate and Duncan Lamont in it, but I believe there was a further remake with Peter Cushing.

13. old_fat_and_hairy

I suspect that many others - apart from some women, and maybe some of Dorothy's Friends - have had more than enough of Tennant's face, which seemed to be on the damned box like a virus.

14. Watched it on BFBS. I still can't figure out:

1. Why someone didn't drive around in a fcuk off big tank squishing them.

2. Why someone didn't squirt gallons of weedkiller at them.

3. Why people didn't outrun them by simply walking at 2.5mph.

I can understand human kind struggling to defeat an advanced alien master race but not a bunch of fcuking pot plants. And struggling so badly that the only alternative was to go and live on the Isle of Wight?

15. k13eod

You seem to have absolutely no imagination, nor ability to suspend belief.

You watched it on BFBS, you are not supposed to understand it, just enjoy it.