Day dreaming thread - stalking calibre

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Watcher, Oct 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I should make it clear that I don't have the money to buy the Sauer S202 Classic that the Sauer thread discusses but, when I win the Lottery (which surely must be soon now), which calibre would be best for highland stalking? I have, in the past, spoken to a dealer who recommended 7 x 57? He felt that .270 was overpowered and .243 underpowered. I'd be interested in your opinions?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I will be stalking in the highlands in 2 weeks time with a .270win - works fine for me. Flat trajectory is a massive bonus especially when calculating uphill/downhill shots, 150gn bullets group at 5cm at 300mtrs, 130gn are not as good (3cm at 100mtrs), but I have been working on loads that are very light for forest Roe.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I happen to agree with you regarding calibres, the Ghillies though all seem to have .270s in Sako 85 with good glass on top. I took a .275 Rigby which was more than adequate.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have already proved that from 85 degrees below horizintal to 80 degrees above there is no need to hold over or under provided you are zeroed at a reasonable distance. This obviously asks what distance people think they are shooting a 4 inch circle at?
    To be honest anything beyond 200 yards and you really havent crawled far enough in yet.
    I do agree that the .270 with modern powders is a superb round. No such thing as overkill just a balance of meat damage and recoil to be lived with.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I also occasionally shoot in proper mountains out to 300mtrs, and my range finder has an inclinometer so I use it - its not always possible to get closer to Chamois and Ibex. But I agree, there is no need to allow anything in most situations.
    With a 150gn Nosler ballistic tip the meat damage can be bit much on Roe, but the load I have is great for accuracy, zeroed at 100mtrs POI is 11cm low at 200 and 25cm low at 300.
    I am working on a 130gn Sierra SBT low power load specifically for Roe, so far it is acceptable at 100mtrs (3cm) - but the 150's keyhole at that distance. Not had chance to try it further yet, software suggests it may be an 18cm drop at 200mtrs.
    I use a Mannlicher Classic light with a 20' barrel - a very light rifle designed for the Alps. There is recoil but I guess I am used to it as I don't really notice it.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As for the recoil if its manageable on the range then you probably wont notice it on the hill. I'm a big fan of Noslers but partitions not Ballistic tips, ok for neck shots but not my cup of tea!
    The pic shows a nice 240 pound Fallow Buck taken near Robertsbridge East Sussex last year. Calibre was .308, shot taken from the floor of a wood at about 80 yards. Dead on the spot!

Attached Files:

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Nice Fallow! I am after Fallow for 2 days in Perthshire in a couple of weeks...not getting much work done thinking about it.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Me neither, I'm supposed to be doing domestics today, cleaning out the chickens and sausage making!

9. I use a 6.5x55 with 129-grn Hornady SST rounds. They're meaty enough to take down a red deer, the projectile is a reliably controlled expander so doesn't blow roe to bits (unlike ballistic tips), and they have similar flat-trajectory qualities to the .270 but without the enormous recoil of the necked-down 30-06 cartridge.

Works for me anyway. Sometimes I use it with lighter Speer soft-point projectiles if I'm exclusively concentrating on roe.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

6.5 always a good call for all deer, a pity BASC fecked up by insisting on 7mm as the minimum for Boar!

11. I got a call to deal with a boar that was shut into a tractor shed - someone had closed the steel doors whilst it was burgling some feed - nobody dared open it again, and after seeing what it did to the door, I think I'd prefer something like H&H for boar. I despatched it with a slug at the time (lawful for humane dispatch, before all the internet-firearms-law experts start toileting away).

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Slug is fine, I have it on my ticket for woodland crop protection and for wild boar!

13. 7x57 seems to attract a lot of flak in Germany at present. It's considered a ladies/boys (ladyboys!) calibre with not quite enough stopping power for the top of the range E-type XR4i turbo piggies and stroppy coatrack type reds. The source of this is the bloodhound men who have to search for the wounded game, they don't like it. I suspect the real problem is poor marksmanship and if you can't shoot well with 7x57 then you should stay at home. 6.5 is a nice round, but it lacks the mass to produce a really big woundcanal in a large animal, if all you'll see is fox and Roe it's a good choice.

I use 7x64 in my BSA, it's the dogs b@llocks, flat trajectory and lots of ammunition and weights to choose from. In the heavier 11.2 gram Norma Vulkan or better Sako hammerhead (4200 joules 3098 foot/lb), It drops anything I'm likely to meet. The Nazis wanted to use it for a sniper round, Russia and growing logistic problems scuppered that.
    It's the most popular hunting round in Europe and I don't mean just western europe.

14. I use an oversized M98 in .375 H&H for the highseat and for driven shoots where large pig are a certainty. I find it's too heavy for stalking and I'm a big inbred northern farm lad and not a pimms-shandy drinking southern squats to piss type. Lighter rifles chambered for H&H are just all wrong, Blaser offer their R93 in the calibre with a high tech kickstop built in. I trialed one with heavy African game rounds (6100 joules 4499 foot pounds ) and it was just brutal, lower power rounds are available, but that just defeats the object.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

7x64 is popular but only a few rifles here seem to be in that calibre. I must try one and see how it compares to 7x57. It seems mathematically to be a .270 which is a 7 x 63 in new money. Maybe thats why .270 is recommended.
    Thinking about the poor marksmanship involved have they lowered the standards for the Jagdschein?