Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Builds Dawning of the Wokka Wokka - Simmerits epic build of the 1/35 Trumpter Chinook.............

But not so chuffed with hataka paints as I recall

I gave them a caning on Britmodeller and the manufacturer ended up writing to me on the thread. May be something to do with 250,000 hits....... and am impact on their sales:)

I have lots of Hataka paints now (funnily enough all free would you believe) but will trial them thoroughly before using them. They reckon they have addressed the problem but we will see

so beer tokens parted with. One new Chinook coming my way.

you could always trick out both into the same diorama.....

HCII_Chinook_Helicopter_Lift_3_Master.jpg

you'd just need to make sure they were both to the same standard..

"dont worry love, they're be out of your way in 5 or 6 years."
He's in enough trouble with the boat on it.....but I suppose he could claim that swapping over to twin wokkas is a space saving exercise

I gave them a caning on Britmodeller and the manufacturer ended up writing to me on the thread. May be something to do with 250,000 hits....... and am impact on their sales:)

I have lots of Hataka paints now (funnily enough all free would you believe) but will trial them thoroughly before using them. They reckon they have addressed the problem but we will see

I got told that at one of the shows a little while back by someone "involved" with developing their paint.....still passed them by :)

Nail head/hammer interface. This is exactly why I get so lost in my wood art. With nothing but a pile of wood and some tools I escape from the world, my brain and (temporarily) my pain. Nothing else exists outside my workshop. It's how I survive.

Liked, liked and liked again.
Wood you say - why don't you carve out a set of Chinny rotors for Simmy then and put him out of his misery :)

Wood you say - why don't you carve out a set of Chinny rotors for Simmy then and put him out of his misery :)

Too late
ED2A7387-312F-4C45-887D-61D8005FCA3B.jpeg

New rotors have arrived, together with a new Wokka:)

Normal service will resume soon hopefully, once I’ve got the Dauntless out of the way

May be a dumb question but can a Chinook still auto-rotate if it breaks a shaft to one rotor or does the wind speed still keep the 2nd rotor spinning at the same speed as the driven one.?

May be a dumb question but can a Chinook still auto-rotate if it breaks a shaft to one rotor or does the wind speed still keep the 2nd rotor spinning at the same speed as the driven one.?

phwoar. Bit technical for me there fella. I do know a lad who is still flying them so if I get a minute I will ask the question, unless there are peeps on here can cover that one

Under those circumstances, no. The blade discs intermesh. Problem #1 is one rotor is now carrying all the load. Problem #2 manifests itself almost immediately in that the remaining powered rotor is no longer synchronized with the failed one and mashes seven shades out of the failed one, which in turn destroys the blades of the previously, however briefly, one good rotor disc. Cab goes down. Unfortunately, this has happened in real life. North Sea BA civvy model for one. Bad ju-ju.

Well, thanks for that Auld-Yin.

Your link and the 1st post in it says NO, goes into detail and then says YES, then the Pruners wander off into their own technical world for 72 posts before someone repeats the question, is it Yes or NO? So after another 80 technical posts another link was posted to another prune thread and after reading another 1.86 million posts I not only think I know the answer, i'm positive I could climb into a Chinook and steal it.

Here is the skinny on Auto-rotate though:

1) Yes they can, if one engine fails the 2nd engine pulls in the extra power and keeps the thing airborne.
2) Yes they can, if both engines fail they can transit to an auto-rotate and hopefully land safely.
3a) No they can't, if the gearbox, or as in my question a shaft breaks, the blades will almost immediately mesh and cause a complete aircraft failure.
3b) Yes they can: If the pilot can shut the engine power off before the gearbox or shaft breaking becomes catastrophic. (Which seems unlikely but I read that it has been done).

Last edited:
Under those circumstances, no. The blade discs intermesh. Problem #1 is one rotor is now carrying all the load. Problem #2 manifests itself almost immediately in that the remaining powered rotor is no longer synchronized with the failed one and mashes seven shades out of the failed one, which in turn destroys the blades of the previously, however briefly, one good rotor disc. Cab goes down. Unfortunately, this has happened in real life. North Sea BA civvy model for one. Bad ju-ju.
Beat me to it, after I stopped to make an edit but it's nice to have a 2nd opinion.