David Niven

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Jan 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Down at Bisley a couple of years ago I was talking to a couple of blokes and David Niven was mentioned. One of said blokes starts slagging him off for all he's worth saying that he was a liar a bully and all sorts. Got totally wound up about it for some reason.

Anyhow, one story he told was that at some point David Niven was on board a Naval launch that picked up a German airman from the sea. Niven apparently interrogated him and then told the skipper to throw him back overboard. Skipper refused at which point Niven threatened him with his pistol. I think the story got interrupted at this point. Anyone else heard this? It seems somewhat unlikely to my mind but then I got the paratrooper story wrong!

2. Well no its not true, however depends on whose biography of the man you read, none mention the incident but do say he was a drunk.

However going off topic, just read kenneth moores biography, what a bloke he was!!

3. Not sure regarding the naval incident, however he was a Lt Col in Phantom Sqn during the war. Possibly a small SF based recce unit.

His books mention very little regarding his war service funnily enough.

fastmedic

4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Don't know much about his military career; however, I always enjoyed his acting in war movies he played in. (Especially the "Guns of Navarone." :thumright:

5. msr

msr LE

And 'The Moon's a Balloon'.

Especially the bit about the champagne bottle from Trubshaw.

msr

6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

7. The story is completely untrue. It was the German airman that threw Niven into the sea.
    Unfortunately Niven survived to go on to a long career walting as an officer in many quite unbelievable and atrocious war films.

8. Niven was a real SF Officer, who forced a release from his contract to return to England to get into the war.

Atrocious war films? Have you seen "The way ahead"?

9. daz

daz LE

Congratulations, once again you’ve proved what a tw@t you are to all and sundry.

10. Who is? Me or SLRboy? It's my post you've highlighted here. Explain yourself.

11. Unfortunately Niven survived to go on to a long career walting as an officer in many quite unbelievable and atrocious war films.

Niven abandoned his movie career in the US. returning to the UK, he joined 2nd Bn, the Rifle Brigade. Later he served in reconnaisance units.

At least he did his bit, unlike John Wayne & the others who stayed behind in Hollywood.

12. What was the name of the Kenneth Moore biography? I wasn't aware he'd had a particularly amazing life.

13. Its not walting its acting though the film paper tiger is a bit of both.
    David niven is a great Englishman imho having a comfy job in hollywood
    and giving it up to rejoin the colours makes him so even if he had spent the war in stores .

14. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

We (USA) also had many that served in combat and also "Did their bit."

Lee Marvin did in the USMC and is one that I always liked. :thumright:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/mighty8thlh/hwood.html

15. The book about More is called more or less, kenneth worked in strip clubs, were he had to watch out for wnakers in the front row, served on hms aurora, was on one of the ships that the jervis bay fought and lost against the admiral scheer. fought german sailors in a bar in chile.

And also had sex with numerous women and drank a fair bit too, a top class read