David Miliband: How to end the war in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jun 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. David Miliband: How to end the war in Afghanistan

David Miliband, the former foreign secretary has written an open letter to General David Petraeus, the new commander of Nato forces in Afghanistan setting out plans to accelerate moves towards a peace deal in Afghanistan:

Published: 10:00PM BST 25 Jun 2010
    Previous1 of 2 ImagesNext

David Miliband is the frontrunner for the Labour Party leadership. Photo: CHRISTOPHER PLEDGER
    Dear David,
    You and I both know the Afghan mission is at a decisive moment. Stanley McChrystal was a remarkable commander who had the fierce loyalty of the men and women under his command. He brought rigour and drive as well as compassion to the mission in Afghanistan. President Obama's decisive action to put you in charge shows the urgency and importance that the President rightly attaches to this mission. There is now a race against time to persuade the Afghan people that the correct strategy is in place and show our own people it can succeed.
  2. Spin, no need for Miliband to tell a general how to run a war. His use of words is particularly annoying "we both know" and "when we first met" etc. It's as though he is talking to an equal in terms of military strategy. Cock munch.
  3. Some bare faced cheek there. Somebody give milliband a slap.
  4. I'm sure the good General will pay as much attention to the letter as one would expect, given that Miliband's 'defining moment' as Foreign Secretary was flirting with Hilary Clinton.

I feel a bit sick now, exucse me for a minute or two.
  5. If he knew all this before, why didn't he sort it all out when he had the opportunity?
    I really wonder how they believe that we can take them seriously.
    Revoultion? Count me in.
  6. what a cun.t
  7. Seconded

8. So Millipeed has got arrogance down to a fine art & advising a US General how to resolve Afghan, he should concentrate on getting the Labour party reformed, if thats at all possible?

I'm sure the General will take all his advice on board, then file it under Kindergarden tw@ts Instructions.
  9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Ahh the epistolary version of the infamous banana photo.

Another stroke of brilliance from the biggest chump ever to occupy the FO.
  10. I'd love to see the reply...

Dear Mr Milliband, Thank you for your recent letter. The General is very busy at the moment and is unable to reply personally to all the eager young schoolboys who have written to him on his new appointment. However, I can tell you that the General was very pleased to be told of your interest and should you wish to pursue a career in the US Military you should.... etc etc Yours sincerely, Mary-Beth Brittany Sloth (Jr), Intern.
  11. Not only is this man ugly, he is delusional.

This is impertinence of a degree barely imaginable.

Now that the Telegraph has dropped the alternative name of 'Torygraph', it is trawling about looking for another. I suggest 'Loonygraph'.

Any theories about how this paper has lurched, raced even, to the left?
  12. I'm sure the General is mightly relieved.

what a c0ck-weasel
  13. I know how to stop the war in Afghanistan too (leave?) but you don't here me bragging about it.... Well except for just then.

PS Milliband is on par with dogshite caught in the treads of your brand new trainers, he makes me feel ill.
  14. They had a major problem with rumoured rises in capital gains tax- which did go up in the emergency budget but not by as much as they feared it would, the paper, interestingly owned by tax exiles, is running a 'Hands off our Assets' campagn. I also think they are disenchanted generally by the coalition- witnessed by the timing of the David Laws' expenses story.
  15. I'm glad Miliband found time to write to Petraeus, it's likely it never occurred to Petraeus to sit down and consider the problem. It's important for a politican to tell a professional how to do his job. New Labour has tried this many times with great success.