David Gatward. The Harry Grimm stories.

1658222032930.png

This is the first book in an excellent series. It features a Policeman named Harry Grimm. Now, he is a Detective Chief Inspector, originally in Bristol C.I.D but, for reasons that become clearer during the stories, is transferred - temporarily - to Yorkshire. Specifically to Swaledale, an especially beautiful area od the Dales. The small town/ village in which he is stationed doesn't even have a nick. Just a space in a community center. What it does have though, is access to a bakery named Crocketts, from which numerous cakes, pies and cheese are bought.
There are an eccentric mix of characters in the book, from eager PCSO to seemingly hostile pathologist.
The stories themselves are mostly concerned with murder, and this quiet little area becomes a northern Midsummer, in the quantity and character of the killings.
Grimm is an ex Paratrooper, with a badly scarred face, which lends an irony to his name.
The books are well written and easy to read, descriptive and character driven. I have even bought them!
I can thoroughly recommend these books, ideal for an easy to read and very pleasant experience.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thank you. Purchased on amazon as a result of that review
Oh Lord! Hope you enjoy, you have burdened me with responsibility, which I have avoided since growing up.:)

philc

LE
I have tried of the later Rebus, not as gripping so ordered.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have tried of the later Rebus, not as gripping so ordered.
These are not as 'in your face' as some of the Rebus tales. Fair bit of humour and an awful lot of cake and cheese.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If it assists in assuaging your guilt. It was free on kindle unlimited, but I suspect it will get the hook in and I will end up buying a fair few of the series
That's what happened with me. thoroughly enjoyed the first and was fascinated to learn what happened in the 2nd......and so it went.Good fun stuff.

Latest Threads