David Davis to resign.

#4
could be a fantastic tactic to reposition himself to go for another shot at the leadership after coming back to the fold.

or is that just wishful thinking?
 
#5
LancePrivateJones said:
TopBadger said:
Shame, he seemed like one of the less shite politicos.
I agree.
It seems like a matter of conscience over the 42 day thing.
That doesn't make sense to me though. He voted against it, his party voted against it, why resign?

He did seem less full of it than the average one I would agree.
 

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
#7
arby said:
could be a fantastic tactic to reposition himself to go for another shot at the leadership after coming back to the fold.

or is that just wishful thinking?
I hope so.
It looks like he will stand again and use any increased majority as a stick to hit the boy Cameron with.
Good luck to the bloke.
 
#9
LancePrivateJones said:
arby said:
could be a fantastic tactic to reposition himself to go for another shot at the leadership after coming back to the fold.

or is that just wishful thinking?
I hope so.
It looks like he will stand again and use any increased majority as a stick to hit the boy Cameron with.
Good luck to the bloke.
Apparently Cameron is not with Him on this.
 
#11
EX_STAB said:
LancePrivateJones said:
TopBadger said:
Shame, he seemed like one of the less shite politicos.
I agree.
It seems like a matter of conscience over the 42 day thing.
That doesn't make sense to me though. He voted against it, his party voted against it, why resign?

He did seem less full of it than the average one I would agree.
if he really believes it is wrong (which i believe), his resignation would be a means of warning the public (and making brown look like cnut). If he goes on the evening news and details the problems with the bill, including the 42 days and the end of open and impartial inquests it would serve to be a big wake-up call to the electorate.

IF he is doing it for that reason, then i would commend him. Maybe there are people of integrity in politics!?

Ski.

edited for monglish
 
#12
If this is the reason he's doing it, then he appears to be a man who will go all the way for a principle. Well done Sir.
 
#13
He is on Sky news now and for me he is saying all the right things.
It seems to go a lot deeper than the 42 day matter and he is talking about the descent into a surveillance state.
Am I witnessing a decent politician doing the right thing?
 
#15
An honourable and principled MP? Whatever next? I didn't always agree with him, but hats off to one of the few men of integrity in British politics. He's just confirmed that he intends to stand again, and let's hope he gets re-elected - perhaps even as an Independent. Given the current state of Labour, he should walk it.
 
#19
squiffy_parsons said:
Sven said:
I believe that the Lib Dems will not be standing against Him in this.
The Limp Dims are an irrelevance.
not in this case they're not. This will become principle thing for the limp dims voters in his constituency who support NO2ID and associated melarky and will vote for Davis, hopefully.

And anyway, its always nice to have an "also ran". and thats what they do best :wink:
 
#20
Sven said:
squiffy_parsons said:
Sven said:
I believe that the Lib Dems will not be standing against Him in this.
The Limp Dims are an irrelevance.
Then tell me, Squiffy - why did Davis go to Nick Clegg before He spoke to Cameron?
Perhaps the Lib Dems wouldn't stand against him because they would be on the same side on the 42 day issue? Doesn't necessarily mean he's gone to teh Lib Dems. latest statement is here:

BBC said:
Shadow home secretary David Davis has resigned as an MP.

He is to force a by-election in his Haltemprice and Howden constituency which he will fight on the issue of the new 42-day terror detention limit.

Mr Davis told reporters outside the House of Commons he believed his move was a "noble endeavour" to stop the erosion of British civil liberties.

The 59-year-old is one of the best known Tory MPs. He came second to David Cameron for the Tory leadership.

News of his planned resignation came as a complete surprise in Westminster - and speculation is rife about his possible motives.

Conservative sources have told BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson Mr Davis told Mr Cameron of his decision on Wednesday evening.

His by-election campaign would be "personal and not backed by the full resources of the Conservative Party", the source added.
 

Latest Threads

Top