david davies v protester

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mickeyluv, Mar 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I fail to see the need for yet another law. The protesters could have been arrested for behaviour liable to provoke a breach of the Queen's Peace, for obstruction, for disorderly conduct. If the Police aren't interested in enforcing any of those laws, why would they suddenly start enforcing a new one?
  2. while i think that omar bloke is an idiot, if we live in a free society, we must be free to demonstrate. Free speech extends to those who disagree with us. I am somewhat disappointed that David Davis would support this as i felt he was one of few MPs who actually understood what it was to live in a free society.

edit, it appears i was thinking about the wrong david. this was davies not davis!
  3. I reckon if members of the British army demonstrated against extremist Muslims we wouldn't get away with it.
  4. Think Mr Davies won that argument. Good on you sir. :D
  5. I think he was making the point that the free speech thing only works one way as anybody protesting against islam would be locked up
  6. Oh, I LOVED the not-so-subtle dig he took at Islam pretty much as soon as he started speaking...

"But I wouldn't say that of course" :D
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I felt that despite this being a free country, the police were FAR too energetic in their defence of the protesters. All this cordons and shuffling backwards to a safer place malarky . . . .
  8. Nice one Dai, In the words of the great, late Alan Clark" FO back to Bongo-Bongo land you wonk"
  9. how long before he makes his bid to oust boy Dave
  10. BTW isn't David Davis ex 21 SAS(R)?
  11. The arguement could be made that the plod were exercising discretion in the matter.That they failed,utterly,to uphold the rule of law is another uncomfortable,matter.

I am not a big fan of the ever increasing raft of legislation foisted upon us in this country but for once I agree that this proposal is a positive one.

Davis makes the point,quite correctly,that we do not have freedom of speech in this country (especially if you are a Dutch politician).And the emphasis for too long has been the protection of those who would see the meager freedoms that we do enjoy trampled under foot.

This is more to do with hipocrisy than anything eles and Davis knows it.

Get that man in as PM.
  12. Wrong David Davies, he used to be a truck driver and is a British Transport plod on his days off from the house
  13. Wah. :p
  14. No, true, David Davies MP for Monmouth, the Welsh one , not David Davis MP for Haltemprice and Howden, who did some time in 21 SAS