David Croft RIP

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by exile1, Sep 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The writer of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Dad's Army, 'Allo 'Allo and many other Comedy series has died. A major in the RA during the War, he did his bit.

2. 'Oh Dear...how sad...never mind.'

As Lofty would have been told if he had imparted the news.

In fact a writer of such original (for it's time) and entertaining programming is a very sad loss.

RIP

3. "Don't tell him your name Pike" is used on this site on a regular basis.

Classic old school comedy.

R.I.P. you legend.

4. HHH

HHH LE

When he reaches the pearly gates do you think St.Peter will greet him with........Hi-De-Hi ?

RIP

5. There aren't any writers like that these days. The programmes they wrote were a reason to watch TV, there was very little else to watch back then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It's funny how shows like Dad's Army etc still get aired forty odd years later. Somehow I don't think we'll be seeing todays telly fodder in 2050.

7. The difference is class.

8. Have to agree with Big J. the man's comedy was historic. It set the bar for (so far) several generations of "wanna bes"

9. A writer of rare brilliance indeed.

Also knew that if you set a comedy in the past, unlike carla lanes stuff, it never ages.

10. He had a unique talent and you can be sure there were events from his military service that were reworked and found their way into the scripts of Dad's Army etc. which of course would be a sign of his genius. Like a lot of people of my generation I've watched them all, several times, and this will be an excuse to get the collection down from the attic. What better way to acknowledge the genius that was David Croft.

A little bit of Dad's Army trivia. The shoulder flash worn by the members of the platoon featured the letters CP. This stood for Croft and Perry, the writers.

[​IMG]