David Cameron vetoes EU-wide treaty change

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jordo, Dec 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cameron grew some balls. I would have paid to see the look on Sarko and Merkels faces...

• Like Like x 8
  2. Fecking great one. Its about time the cheese eating surrender monkey was put back in his box!

3. I will be raising my glass to David Cameron tonight for the first time since the coalition was formed. They may have taken a while to sprout but the lad now has balls. I wish I didn't.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Here's a dealer with some common sense.

What all this treaty nonsense is ignoring is that there are very immediate problems in the Euro zone - Greece is going to default on at least 50% of its debt pretty soon, with Portugal probably going down that route late in 2012. Italian bond interest rates are on the rise again - heading back towards the 7% level that means they'll need a bail out from the EU/IMF some time in Spring 2012.

The Euro zone has a fatal structural flaw that cannot be sorted out for a decade at least - the Club Med countries (Greece, Portugal, Italy, Spain) have lost so much competitiveness relative to Northern Europe that their economies are at a permanent disadvantage. All the austerity measures to put this right seem to have accomplished thus far is to put several countries into a recessionary tail spin.

All the posturing from Sarkozy and Merkel cannot disguise that the Euro zone is going to implode sooner or later. I would rather UK PLC was not shackled to that particular corpse. So Cameron did the necessary - if the Euro zone and hangers on wants to commit financial suicide - let them. It'll hit the UK (the Euro is one of our biggest export markets) but the longer the implosion takes to happen the better the bomb shelter UK PLC can build itself.

As a country we should be getting rid of as much bad Euro zone corporate and sovereign as we can. We should also be trying to develop markets outside the EU - in the so called BRIC's for example (Brazil, Russia, India and China). And UK companies should spend the next few months making sure they are as a bomb proof as possible when the Euro zone implodes.

The Titanic has sailed....

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 17
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

' may you live in interesting times......'

some comments across the patch:

6. Interestingly, Sky News is reporting the following instead. It could be my imagination, but they seem to have come quite sharply anti-coalition in the last couple of weeks. Somebody in Government say the wrong thing, perhaps?

Euro Summit: Cameron Blocks EU Treaty Deal To Tighten Fiscal Rules Governing Eurozone | Business | Sky News

7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

So now we've got a two speed Europe with us in the slow lane and excluded so that Cameron could play up his anti credentials to the right wing of his party?

Lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Sweden, Switzerland both of which are outside the Euro seem to be doing ok - in the case of the Swiss extremely well - why shouldn't we be able to do the same.

9. Who are you referring to?

10. Wordsmith

[Threadjack]

Maybe because they started investigating phone hacking seriously - thus exposing News Corporation to bad publicity and major losses (huge losses if they manage to prove phone hacking in the US).

[/Threadjack]

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wordsmith

Look at the economics - not the politics.

It's only a bad move if the Euro doesn't go tits up. If the Euro implodes, Cameron has won the next election.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 8
  12. You may have misunderstood what is happening, possibly. But UK is now the one in the Fast Lane and Germany is stuck on the hard shoulder with the engine in its BMW siezed up. Freddy Frog is on the way to rescue him in his citroen recovery truck.

• Like Like x 7
  13. We're not excluded from the EU, just excluded from talks about the Euro currency, which seems fair as we're not in it... we have an equal amount of say in the Dollar and Yuan, so whats the problem?

• Like Like x 1
  14. I listened to that leech Douglas Alexander this morning on R4, who was quizzed by the presenter John Humpherys , so if Cameron was wrong what would you have done. eventually the presenter after deciphering the utter snake twisting bile from Douglas Alexander that he would have done the same. But still this slimey knob jocky wanted to make Cameron look like a complete twat, albeit it he agreed with his decision (god I loathe Liabour)

• Like Like x 2