David Cameron ponders armed forces reservists boost

"For they had learned that true safety was only to be found in long previous training.And not in eloquent exhortations uttered when they were going into battle"

Thucydides
of the Spartans 418

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
It's utter fancifull rubbish to appeal to the voters - I'm asset stripping the forces but if I play the enhanced reservist role, the public might still think I honestly believe in the Armed Forces. What? Need to pay for additional and enhanced infrastructure for the Reservists, WHAT? they need more equipment, WHAT - they would need additional funding? No, no, no, do it on the cheap.......

A

armadillo

"For they had learned that true safety was only to be found in long previous training.And not in eloquent exhortations uttered when they were going into battle"

Thucydides
of the Spartans 418
basically you are saying, "So long and hard training prepares you, and gobbing off prior to battle means nothing", ironic really that you mention gobbing off...

Ha sparta...... reg/spartan to reservist ratio 300:14000 vrs 2million ... 480 bc[/QU

Try reading history and not believing piss poor films, the Spartan Forces at Thermopolae was made up of 300 Spartan freemen, basically Leonidas bodyguard ,2,800 other Peloponnesians, along with 700 Thespians,and 400 Thebans, And the roll of this force was to hold up the Persian advance while the Whole Spartan Army, along with the rest of Greece was mobilised

Can't find the 1 in 20 mentioned though.
I've heard that ratio — or one similar to it — mentioned too but I think it was in the context of a long-term planning tool rather than a criticism (eg for every deployed reservist you need twenty others in different states of readiness (basic training, pre-deployment training, POTL etc) in order to maintain a given tempo). It may even have been the basis for the GCM.

Try reading history and not believing piss poor films .... along with the rest of Greece was mobilised
Quoted from same source as you, hence the mention of 14000 reservists. and read what you've said: Mobilised... greece getting mobilised, farmers taken from fields to become soldiers, what are these?? A standing army, no.

So your initial quote applies to a small part of the greek forces, regular trained soldiers who delay the initial advance enabling the remainder mobilise and with the war, i.e. a proper use of reserve and regular forces.... Interesting use of the word enabler?

Didn't Sparta go tits up in the end because they concentrated too much on the warrior way of life? I'm sure I read something about the peasent slaves rising up in revolt against them.

Quoted from same source as you, hence the mention of 14000 reservists. and read what you've said: Mobilised... greece getting mobilised, farmers taken from fields to become soldiers, what are these?? A standing army, no.

So your initial quote applies to a small part of the greek forces, regular trained soldiers who delay the initial advance enabling the remainder mobilise and with the war, i.e. a proper use of reserve and regular forces.... Interesting use of the word enabler?
But the Spartan "hoplites" were regular soldiers in fact the whole male Spartan population were full time soldiers, All manual work in the city was done by "Helots" slaves taken in battle, and although some of these were sometimes allowed to accompany the Army they did not normally fight

B

Biscuits_AB

Ha sparta...... reg/spartan to reservist ratio 300:14000 vrs 2million ... 480 bc[/QU

Try reading history and not believing piss poor films, the Spartan Forces at Thermopolae was made up of 300 Spartan freemen, basically Leonidas bodyguard ,2,800 other Peloponnesians, along with 700 Thespians,and 400 Thebans, And the roll of this force was to hold up the Persian advance while the Whole Spartan Army, along with the rest of Greece was mobilised
Relevance to thread?

B

Biscuits_AB

But the Spartan "hoplites" were regular soldiers in fact the whole male Spartan population were full time soldiers, All manual work in the city was done by "Helots" slaves taken in battle, and although some of these were sometimes allowed to accompany the Army they did not normally fight
Did you invent Hoplites?

topper you must have been gutted when left behind in sparta :)
You could make a radical overhaul of the TA say give them cr2 as90 stuff thats needed for THE WAR regular army to concontrate on uppity wog slapping.
But that would need the law changing serious money spending atcually thinking about defence needs/wants etc.
so I forsee some new TA units or name changes a very flashy DVD powerpoint presentation and another 25% cut do more with less :(

You could make a radical overhaul of the TA say give them cr2 as90 stuff thats NOT needed? for THE WAR regular army to concontrate on uppity wog slapping.

so I forsee some new TA units or name changes a very flashy DVD powerpoint presentation and another 25% cut do more with less :(
Slight amendment to ur first sentence but .... as I fully expect your 2nd sentence to be true, I should maybe remove my bold and delete the not

topper you must have been gutted when left behind in sparta :)
You could make a radical overhaul of the TA say give them cr2 as90 stuff thats needed for THE WAR regular army to concontrate on uppity wog slapping.
But that would need the law changing serious money spending atcually thinking about defence needs/wants etc.
Christ on a Segway! An on-topic post.

Whatever is this thread coming to!?

It was acutally the ground selected and not the calibre of the soldiers fighting that ment the Spartans held a larger force in check.

They also loved young boys as SOP so swings and round abouts I suppose.

And although it pains me to say I do agree with troopers quote :)