David Cameron ponders armed forces reservists boost

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Jul 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - David Cameron ponders armed forces reservists boost

Not exactly what I heard on the TV this morning ... I'm sure I heard that only 1 in 20 of every reservist is deployable, couple that with the 15 reservists for every 85 make up every deployment.... That says a very small number of reservists do an amazing amount of work, possibly in excess of many regulars.

Can't find the 1 in 20 mentioned though.
  2. "For they had learned that true safety was only to be found in long previous training.And not in eloquent exhortations uttered when they were going into battle"

of the Spartans 418
  3. Methinks you really are nuts.
  4. Methinks you really are ignorant and stupid, but there you go
  5. Ha sparta...... reg/spartan to reservist ratio 300:14000 vrs 2million ... 480 bc
  6. On what basis? At least the feeling is mutual then.
  7. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

It's utter fancifull rubbish to appeal to the voters - I'm asset stripping the forces but if I play the enhanced reservist role, the public might still think I honestly believe in the Armed Forces. What? Need to pay for additional and enhanced infrastructure for the Reservists, WHAT? they need more equipment, WHAT - they would need additional funding? No, no, no, do it on the cheap.......
  8. basically you are saying, "So long and hard training prepares you, and gobbing off prior to battle means nothing", ironic really that you mention gobbing off...
  10. I've heard that ratio — or one similar to it — mentioned too but I think it was in the context of a long-term planning tool rather than a criticism (eg for every deployed reservist you need twenty others in different states of readiness (basic training, pre-deployment training, POTL etc) in order to maintain a given tempo). It may even have been the basis for the GCM.
  11. Quoted from same source as you, hence the mention of 14000 reservists. and read what you've said: Mobilised... greece getting mobilised, farmers taken from fields to become soldiers, what are these?? A standing army, no.

So your initial quote applies to a small part of the greek forces, regular trained soldiers who delay the initial advance enabling the remainder mobilise and with the war, i.e. a proper use of reserve and regular forces.... Interesting use of the word enabler?
  12. Didn't Sparta go tits up in the end because they concentrated too much on the warrior way of life? I'm sure I read something about the peasent slaves rising up in revolt against them.
  13. But the Spartan "hoplites" were regular soldiers in fact the whole male Spartan population were full time soldiers, All manual work in the city was done by "Helots" slaves taken in battle, and although some of these were sometimes allowed to accompany the Army they did not normally fight
  15. Did you invent Hoplites?