david cameron on bonuses

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by lord_cvntworthy, Dec 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. david cameron's "Plan 'to double' Afghan troop bonus" link

:roll:

2. Try this from the horses mouth!
    David Cameron promises to double allowance for soldiers returning from Afghanistan

David Cameron and Liam Fox flew out to Afghanistan yesterday to meet troops and see for themselves what is happening on the ground right now in Helmand province.

We carried this BBC footage of the visit on the site last night.

But today the headline announcement coming from Mr Cameron is that an incoming Conservative Government would double from £2,400 to £4,800 the allowance to soldiers returning from a six-month tour in Afghanistan.
    http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2009/12/david-cameron-promises-to-double-allowance-for-soldiers-returning-from-afghanistan.html?

3. Great Mr Cameron - nice idea, but where do you intend to find the money given that the MOD is utterly broke right now?

4. sounds decent enough to me, even if they totally f*ck up their term in parliment the next lot in could never have the audacity to take it away , this is assuming the war would still be raging when that happens :D

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Quite.

It is a good idea however.

6. By spending it, you'd be helping the economy.

Which sectors would benefit most?

7. This presupposes that HMF are still in Afghan by the time tory boy gets elected.

8. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember hearing that the Op bonus is paid by the Treasury and not the MOD

9. The income tax we pay while we are deployed?

10. Why be so negative about it?

Yes he probably wont do it in the end but at least he has mentioned something beneficial to those serving unlike Brown and really if he completely fcuks up his term in office it would be no worse then re-electing Labour so on the slim chance that I might benefit from it I would vote for him over Brown, plus as someone has already mentioned the money would not come from the MOD so finding it probably wouldnt be that hard.

11. I believe those that have been injured would rather have a medical discharge system that supported them and their family members. It's not negative to ask important questions, but it is naive to accept all the politicians state before a general election:?

David Cameron's Tories have failed to support this move to improve the medical discharge system. When I met up with Andrew Murrison MP, Tory Defence Team, he said he agreed the that the system was unfair- worked against the injured person and needed addressing.

If his party feels so supportive towards our troops lets see them sign and press for change to this draconian system.

Please ask your MP to sign EDM361 - Medical Discharge Boards And Armed Forces Personnel.

Thanks - Hitback

12. Whilst the extra payment is most welcome it is still far short of instituting a pay system which fairly reflects the hours and risks being taken by our troops when on combat operations. The average young soldier in a infantry battalion on level 4 pay gets about £18600 pa. If you add on the new payment of £4660 after an Afghan tour it is £23260 pa. Working on the assumption that they are available and working 24/7 for six months that is 4380 hours and then six months of 47 hours per week (average hours in Uk according to AFPRB) that is a total of 6052 hours pa. I make this an average hourly rate of £3.84 per hour. Not too generous really is it? A few more comments below shows the real disparity especially between the Armed and civilian uniformed services

Note the wording; "per 100,000 serving personnel in the military during 2006" NOT "per 100,000 deployed personnel in the military during 2006".

That shows that it is 160 times (96 divided by 0.6) more dangerous to be in the Services than the average civvy job. As some 10-15% of the Services are deployed at any one time, I think it fair to write that it appears to be 1600 times more dangerous on operations than flipping burgers in McDs! Those are not my figures, by the way; The Office of Manpower Economics is a respected Government organisation.

So, I wonder what the equivalent figures are for those hard-pressed men and women who comprise the Houses Of Parliament? Falling off one's stool at the subsidised bar must be pretty dangerous too.

Litotes

From the AFPRB 2009 Report
    Our analysis covered the Fire Service, Police, Prison Service, MOD Police Service and Ambulance Service. Although there are perceived similarities these services offer a range of different career structures with different entry points and different terms and conditions. For instance, two thirds of new recruits to the Armed Forces in 200607 were aged 16 20 while the average age on entry to the Police was 27 years. Despite these differences, after adjusting comparisons for XFactor and pensions, the packages available to the uniformed civilian services appear to remain comparatively advantageous.

An understatement if I read one!

13. We mustn't forget that our injured soldiers have to rely on the military system treating them correctly... They don't have the support of any objective grouping to aid them! Unless they belong to BAFF - they could then get legal aid if required...

14. Hope he makes this policy before the end of Herrick 12, I've got a shed to buy.