David Cameron Continues Digging Hole at Full Speed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Wordsmith, Feb 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I see David Cameron continues to endear himself to his back benches.

Cameron accused of dividing Conservatives as MPs rebel on gay marriage vote - Telegraph

I think a wiser leader would never have put himself in a position where over half his 'troops' voted against him.

Cameron has been accused to living in a leadership bunker and only taking advice from a small circle of friends and advisers - thus ignoring the opinion of large sections of his own party. This would seem to be a graphic illustration of it.

I'm beginning to think Cameron is a good example of the 'Peter Principle' - a man promoted beyond the level of his competence. He was a good leader of the opposition but he seems lacking in the 'people' skills to run a government. There are mutterings of 'stalking horses' to force a leadership vote. I don't think it'll happen, but the mere thought its being talked about shows the level of discontent with Cameron.

This does not bode well for Cameron's chances of winning the next election. Troops don't fight hard for a general they have no confidence in. He has to reconnect with large parts of his own party - and fast.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 2
  2. I think it's high time he outed himself!

3. I really don't understand his agenda. This is not something the Country is particularly moved by and is not going to distract from all his other austerity measures and suddenly make people think he's not so bad after-all. It's not even something the Tories get involved in and they normally leave such legislation to Labour. We all know he has no empathy with the man in the street but you'd think his advisers would try to keep him real.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have more chance of winning the next election than Cameron. And I won't be standing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. He's not playing to his electorate, or to his party, he's read the writing on the wall, he's now playing to the US and to the vast chutney lobby there who will secure him a high and steady income, as an after dinner speaker, gloryhole attendant and cum sponge, into the distant future!.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Think it over, you can't be worse than the present muppets. I'll vote for you.

• Like Like x 2
  7. One of his predecessors didn't exactly endear herself to many in the conservative party, nor a lot of the wider electorate for that matter. Do you think he might be trying to emulate her and we'll see him wearing a wig sometime soon?

Camthatch.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. E - Scotia, I find that picture of Thacheron strangely arousing....

• Like Like x 2
  9. He could of course be laying booby traps for the opposition. Churches Mosques and Synagogues will be fighting this tooth and nail once the Courts force Churches to allow marriage on their premises. And that won't happen for 3 years. It screws up his reach out to ethnic minorities who are more Conservative than the general population of course; but I guess he's banking on the troops to rally to the cause when they see the possibility of Ed Balls being the next Chancellor and the Labour party returning to type by spending money they don't have.

Of course the next hand grenade the next government of whatever political party will have to fall on is retired Baby Boomers wanting lots of free money having "Paid or it all their lives" in their 9-5 jobs with 2 hour lunch breaks taking it off the 8-6 with no lunch break, no house and no pension generation.

10. You honestly think he has an agenda?? It was bad enough when they worried about tomorrows headlines, now they worry about the next Sky bulletin coming on the hour.

His advisers are reacting to the Daily Mail headlines in the belief that they are reacting to the popular opinion of the nation. Their other error is to believe that the electorate has no memory; any mistakes eventually become yesterday's chip wrappers. Ask Chris Huhne how that sort of planning worked out.

11. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Maggie had a very clear vision of what needed to be done and did it. She fought on major issues like the economy and the power of the trade unions.

Cameron lacks that clarity of purpose. So he picked a fight on a minor issue (gay marriage) that is not important to the future prosperity of the country. And he continued banging on about gay marriage even when it was clear that he faced major resistance from his own back benches.

Maggie fought on the important issues and ignored the minor ones. Cameron has caused a major fracture in his own party over a trivial piece of legislation.

I think that says a lot about their respective abilities to run a government and lead a party.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 4
  12. Seek help, now.

13. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

The Conservatives chose Cameron to counter the Blair effect with polished presentation and a slick veneer of showy policies to re-brand the nasty party and that's exactly what they got.

The problem for the Tories is that the world changed when the banks went bang in 2008 and the electorate finally woke up to the fact that flim flam merchants are intellectually shallow, expensive to indulge and dangerous in a crisis. The public taste moved on but Cameron just kept on doing what he does and completely failed to change gear (assuming he actually has a higher gear to change to). Now he simply looks more vacuous and rudderless with every pronouncement and policy, particularly as real problems mount up. Cameron's style is at least six years out of date, Obama's in much the same place and Milliband would probably be even worse. Cameron's greatest tragedy is that a large chunk of the country would now welcome a bit of 'nasty party' on issues such as immigration and welfare, as Labour's beginning to recognise, but he's not grounded enough to realise that and he lacks the philosophical depth to articulate such an approach and deliver on such an agenda even if he did.

• Like Like x 16
  14. He's gone up in my opinion. He's ****ing with the heads of bigots and Religous fuckwits, anyone who exposes fairy believers for the stoneage ********* that they are gets my vote.

Rah rah rah....etc etc

• Like Like x 2
  15. Get some harmless twerp in a safe seat to step aside , put Boris in his place , shove Cameron aside and let's get this country
    working again .
    I cannot believe some quarters of the press are bigging up Theresa May . I wouldn't trust her with a tea trolley , let alone the country .

• Like Like x 3