David Cameron calls himself Zionist

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/870539.html

I wholeheartedly agree with talented Conservative leader that the boycott is a wrong idea. And of course Israel has a natural right to exist, exist in peace along with Palestinian state.

Btw, if you are a member or a supporter of the Conservative party then what would you say about you "DNA"?

2. I see Haaretz is doing the Danger Mouse trick of choosing which bit of the speech to highlight!

"If by Zionist you mean that the Jews have the right to a homeland in Israel and the right to a country then I am a Zionist," the Tory leader said, adding that support for Israel is "in the DNA" of members of his party.

That would make most of the population of UK Zionists. However use of the word Zionist is guaranteed to produce a mixed response depending on your viewpoint. For example:

http://www.palestineremembered.com/Acre/Palestine-Remembered/Story457.html

and

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2002/09/ma_109_01.html?welcome=true

I expect that support for the continuing existance of the state of Israel is in the DNA of all major political parties in the UK but it doesn't mean that they support the policies of the current Government of the State of Israel.

3. David Cameron can call himself whatever he bl00dy well wants, the rest rank and file in HM UK Plc he'll still be a cnut.

4. Wuuld most people not agree with his view that Israel has a right to exist. Hadn't previously thought of myself as a Zionist, must go back for a period of self-reflection. I assume that there will be some bol***s linked to this statement from the usual suspects about Palestinians and IDF etc etc.

5. http://www.thejc.com/home.aspx?ParentId=m11s19s116&SecId=116&AId=46698&AType

So why not to be Zionist with such big money.

6. Excellent stuff!

More grist for the propaganda mill come the next election!

7. I always find it a bit strange when the hardline settlers claim the entire section of land was promised to them by God. He's the same guy that told Peter Sutcliffe to kill all those women. The west usually looks very unfavourably upon theocracy, so it's rather unusual to create and sustain one in the state of Israel. Perhaps it depends upon the religion.

8. It's interesting to look at what the main body of Zionism once was:
    None of this cap in hand "right to exist" bollox. They'd have scared the frilled pants of young master Cameron.

9. Theocracy literally means rule by God, but more usually means rule by priests or religious officials. We use theocracy because the more accurate term is "hierarchy" which we use to mean something else.

The West doesn't seem to mind theocracy in general (we do, after all, have representation to the Holy See). (Our stable ally Saudi Arabia is the nearest thing to a theocracy you can have while simultaneously being the nearest thing to an absolute monarchy you can have.)

But Israel is a liberal democracy. Israeli Muslims, Christians, Druze and Jews all have the same vote. Are minority groups sometimes marginalised? Yes -- but that's an artefact of democracy not of theocracy. (In Syria the Alawi minority rules the country with an iron fist and the Sunni majority is marginalised.)

Israel isn't a Jewish state because the Jewish religion needs to rule territory or fulfill God's promise to whoever. Israel is a Jewish state because the Jewish nation deserves a state just like the Italian nation or the Czech nation. Just because a lot of Jews share a religion (though lots are secular) doesn't mean the Jewish state is a theocracy. After all, just because a lot of Italians share a religion (though lots are secular) doesn't mean Italy is a theocracy.

10. Given that the Zionists have been ethnically cleansing Palestine since 1948 with the tacit and sometimes overt support of successive British governments it comes as no surprise to hear the Cameron calls himself and his party Zionists. Sadly it wouldn't surprise me to hear Blair say something similar.

11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

12. DNA is an interesting subject,

Effectively DNA is a twin sugar phosphete helix, comprising of the amino acids, Adenine,Thymine,Guanine and Cytosine. Adenine & Thymine are always matched as pairs as are Guanine and Cytosine. This is the footprint of all things human.

Shall we do a genetic test?