• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

David Cameron agrees nuclear deal with India against official advice

Cameron Foreign Policy - what's it all about?

• Total voters

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Telegraph said:
British companies will be free to strike deals worth billions of pounds under the new regime which will be based on a “presumption” that export licences will be granted for products intended for civilian use unless there are specific concerns about a deal. The move will be announced today during a three-day trade mission by the Prime Minister to India, and includes a pledge to share research.

There were also concerns that, despite requests from the Americans, India had failed to ensure a proper separation of its civilian and military programmes.
The move is part of a wider push by the Prime Minister to strengthen trade ties and capitalise on India's rapidly growing economy. However his attempts threaten to be undermined by a row over immigration caps which threatens to prevent thousands of Indian workers from coming to Britain.

David Cameron agrees nuclear deal with India against official advice - Telegraph

I posted this story up because I wonder just what Cameron's game is. He seems to be saying all that is necessary to all his international audiences to get Britain some more kudos, followed by trade.

Could it be that Mr David Cameron is acting on the principle that anything that is good for British business and interests overseas is good enough for government foreign policy?

Could it be that Mr Cameron and the Conservatives have finally grown a big enough set of nuts to say to our so-called 'allies' in the US that we will follow our own foreign policy for the betterment of Britain, pretty much regardless of the US take on the matter?

Could it be that we are actually getting a 'Britain First' foreign policy for the first time in 70 years?

I'd cautiously agree with it. India could be a massive trade partner and we need to keep them sweet (hence why we paid them £800 million or whatever). If decent amounts of money get invested back into the UK then surely its a good thing? Pakistan and whoever else are likely to complain about this can frankly go and ram it.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yep, Cameron has made it quite clear over recent months that he is looking beyond the traditional partners in trade and strategic interests, India and Brazil being the two countries at the top of the list. There is alos a £500 million deal for Hawks and other defence equipment in the offing as well.

David Cameron seeks to impress India with his massive delegation | Nicholas Watt | Politics | guardian.co.uk

The second link might ruffle a few feathers here on arrse though.

David Cameron to offer India direct say on immigration policy | Politics | The Guardian

editing to add a few more linkies:

India to sign £500m deal to buy Hawk jets | World news | The Observer

Cameron reaches out to the power and wealth of new India | World news | The Observer

Get in there before the yanks do by the sounds of it. India is only ever going to develope their Nuclear program, it would be better to help them do it and reap the benefits than sit back and let them spend our hard earned cash else where. Plus we know what they're using.

Pakistan are going to be chuffed to mintball's U.K. is helping India with nuclear technology, that'll help with the War against the Taliban!

If we can help India to advance in all directions, then so many Indians will no longer want to come to Britain the once great country that Blair and Brown all but brought to it's knees!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If we can help India to advance in all directions, then so many Indians will no longer want to come to Britain the once great country that Blair and Brown all but brought to it's knees!
Better not read that second link I posted then......

India has the worlds biggest and fastest growing Middle Class who have a natural affinity with Britain. I've often heard it said that many educated Indians are more 'British' than the British. There's big money to be made in India and we need to up our game. We have a big advantage over the Americans, (The indians regard them as brash and rather uncouth), and Cameron is the quintessential Englishman, (well spoken and Eton), that Indian society still see as a role model.

India does 'democracy' and will be the worlds largest and one of the most powerful by mid Century.

I have no problem with Indians coming to Britain. They have been, and still are a huge asset to the country. By and large hard working, industrious and very well educated. There are more Millionaires called Patel in Britain than any other name.

Meet Britain's richest family - This Britain, UK - The Independent

Pakistanis are the obverse.

I have long believed that the UK's future is best served by renewing realtionships within the Commonwealth.
Immigration issues aside, I believe the UK's interests are best served by closer ties with the Commonwealth rather than europe or the USA.

I have long believed that the UK's future is best served by renewing realtionships within the Commonwealth.
Immigration issues aside, I believe the UK's interests are best served by closer ties with the Commonwealth rather than europe or the USA.

Absolutely!

When we joined the EU we turned our backs on our then small and not very prosperous Commonwealth partners… yes, that worked out well for us.

Canada, India, Australia are now major financial players on the world stage and ranked 10th, 11th and 13th by GDP and climbing compared to us now at 6th and falling.

India has the worlds biggest and fastest growing Middle Class who have a natural affinity with Britain. I've often heard it said that many educated Indians are more 'British' than the British. There's big money to be made in India and we need to up our game. We have a big advantage over the Americans, (The indians regard them as brash and rather uncouth), and Cameron is the quintessential Englishman, (well spoken and Eton), that Indian society still see as a role model.

India does 'democracy' and will be the worlds largest and one of the most powerful by mid Century.
After leaving the army my first job was a contract with the UN. The two Indian sat-techs spoke better English than most English people. Their accent was reminiscent of it ain't alf hot mum but their grammar and vocabulary was top notch.

I agree that Cameron is doing the right thing.

For too long, under Blair especially, we have cosied up to America. And received what? Some presidential praise for Blair? Under Obama the truth of the "special relationship" came to light. Agree with it or not, his treatment of Gordon Brown, head of the government of their biggest ally, was an insult to our nation. DVDs as a gift, 15 minute meetings in NY kitchens is just not on.

So whilst the relationship with America is romantically described as the special one, it isn't. It is one sided, and Cameron was clever enough to recognise this and call us the junior partner.

So let us look abroad to places where we can be the senior partner diplomatically and see how we can benefit them & ourselves. India seems set to invest millions in our industry, and if nurtured this will surely grow to billions. A nuclear deal with them does not seem a bad idea given the mess that is Pakistan. Their secret service colluding with the Taliban and their government losing control of vast areas to the Taliban does not bode well for the future.

It's time for us to get into relationships which will benefit us a lot. And countries such as India can offer this.

I have no problem with Indians coming to Britain. They have been, and still are a huge asset to the country. By and large hard working, industrious and very well educated.
Me neither, it's not as if their "tribe" / demographic is attributed largely with urban territorial gangs & the subsequent crime associated with them, or they incite hatred / terrorism on religious grounds. We share a lot of common interests with them & I'd quite happily allow the floodgates to open for Indian immigration to the UK at the expense of a lot of other nationalities etc.

Latest Threads