David Cameron agrees nuclear deal with India against official advice

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Biped, Jul 28, 2010.

1. He's working hard for Britain, not the US like Blair did.

2. Nothing to report, he's just doing trade deals.

3. He's just like Blair, all spin without substance.

4. WTF is he doing flogging nuclear technology abroad, JESUS!!

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

David Cameron agrees nuclear deal with India against official advice - Telegraph

I posted this story up because I wonder just what Cameron's game is. He seems to be saying all that is necessary to all his international audiences to get Britain some more kudos, followed by trade.

Could it be that Mr David Cameron is acting on the principle that anything that is good for British business and interests overseas is good enough for government foreign policy?

Could it be that Mr Cameron and the Conservatives have finally grown a big enough set of nuts to say to our so-called 'allies' in the US that we will follow our own foreign policy for the betterment of Britain, pretty much regardless of the US take on the matter?

Could it be that we are actually getting a 'Britain First' foreign policy for the first time in 70 years?
  2. I'd cautiously agree with it. India could be a massive trade partner and we need to keep them sweet (hence why we paid them £800 million or whatever). If decent amounts of money get invested back into the UK then surely its a good thing? Pakistan and whoever else are likely to complain about this can frankly go and ram it.
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yep, Cameron has made it quite clear over recent months that he is looking beyond the traditional partners in trade and strategic interests, India and Brazil being the two countries at the top of the list. There is alos a £500 million deal for Hawks and other defence equipment in the offing as well.

David Cameron seeks to impress India with his massive delegation | Nicholas Watt | Politics | guardian.co.uk

The second link might ruffle a few feathers here on arrse though.

David Cameron to offer India direct say on immigration policy | Politics | The Guardian

editing to add a few more linkies:

India to sign £500m deal to buy Hawk jets | World news | The Observer

Cameron reaches out to the power and wealth of new India | World news | The Observer
  4. Cow

Cow LE

Get in there before the yanks do by the sounds of it. India is only ever going to develope their Nuclear program, it would be better to help them do it and reap the benefits than sit back and let them spend our hard earned cash else where. Plus we know what they're using.
  5. Pakistan are going to be chuffed to mintball's U.K. is helping India with nuclear technology, that'll help with the War against the Taliban!
  6. If we can help India to advance in all directions, then so many Indians will no longer want to come to Britain the once great country that Blair and Brown all but brought to it's knees!
  7. How about giving them indoor plumbing?
  8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Better not read that second link I posted then......
  9. India has the worlds biggest and fastest growing Middle Class who have a natural affinity with Britain. I've often heard it said that many educated Indians are more 'British' than the British. There's big money to be made in India and we need to up our game. We have a big advantage over the Americans, (The indians regard them as brash and rather uncouth), and Cameron is the quintessential Englishman, (well spoken and Eton), that Indian society still see as a role model.

India does 'democracy' and will be the worlds largest and one of the most powerful by mid Century.

10. I have no problem with Indians coming to Britain. They have been, and still are a huge asset to the country. By and large hard working, industrious and very well educated. There are more Millionaires called Patel in Britain than any other name.

Meet Britain's richest family - This Britain, UK - The Independent

Pakistanis are the obverse.
  11. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Screw that. I could do with some indoor plumbing. Nuclear deal with India, why not. If Pakistan and them want to get into it we're all f**ked anyway. Still it might loosen up a few talibs.
  12. You never know, when the Taliban are running Pakistan it might then be seen as Cameron having great foresight......
  13. I have long believed that the UK's future is best served by renewing realtionships within the Commonwealth.
    Immigration issues aside, I believe the UK's interests are best served by closer ties with the Commonwealth rather than europe or the USA.

14. Absolutely!

When we joined the EU we turned our backs on our then small and not very prosperous Commonwealth partners… yes, that worked out well for us.

Canada, India, Australia are now major financial players on the world stage and ranked 10th, 11th and 13th by GDP and climbing compared to us now at 6th and falling.
  15. After leaving the army my first job was a contract with the UN. The two Indian sat-techs spoke better English than most English people. Their accent was reminiscent of it ain't alf hot mum but their grammar and vocabulary was top notch.