Dave in Pasty shock

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by alib, Mar 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the G paper Pasty tax: PM seeks to take heat out of hot pie row
    My bold, I think they are all quiche men really.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. pie tax, fuel tax, income tax what next sex tax, wank tax or even breathing tax!
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Loathe as I am to say it, but CMD and Drunkard Osborne have a point. All they are doing (albeit badly) is remove an anomalie wehreby identical types of hot food to take away (by corner shops/garages) are charged VAT at the standard rate (ie 20%)

But it is a convenient stick to beat them with because "ambient temperature" (the measure used in the budget) changes all the time. Thus rendering when VAT should be charged a bit of a muddle.
    • Like Like x 2

4. Thats right,when does hot food that is cooling,cease to be hot food.

We have hot,warm,and cold food,when does hot become warm,and hot/warm become cold,theoretically fresh bread/rolls are hot,can see a few legal cases in the pipeline,someone is bound to spot an opportunity. ^~
    • Like Like x 1
  5. can't see the issue. Pasties are never warm in our Greggs
    • Like Like x 1
  6. What's to stop Greggs and other retailers selling the pie cold and then offering to heat it up for nothing.....?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I doubt he had a real Cornish pasty from any outlet North of the Tamar.
  8. By heating it up,they are providing a "service".A service which attracts VAT.
  9. Mr_Fingerz

They are offering a chargeable service upon which they must account for the VAT (at the actual value of the service, not the nominal amount charged). There's a lot of case law going back to the late 80's/early90's on this.
  10. Stick a microwave where the public can use it. Once paid for you can smoke it for all they care. If you choose to warm it, that's your business.

Of course it won't be long before some scrote shoves a can of Coke in there and hits fricassee.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Sorry Lardbeast, but see my last. If you supply the means to heat the food, you are making a taxable supply and must account for the VAT at the standard rate.
  12. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

When a politician of whatever political hue 'removes an anomaly', it always involves raising tax to remove the anomaly - for example not zero rating hot food to bring it into line with the VAT on other food.

Strange that...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Save paying VAT on biscuits by buying chocolate flavoured biscuits instead of chocolate ones or buy plain ones.
  14. If Oscar Wilde had eaten a Gregg's pasty, he would have said that..........

A spokeswoman for the Cornwall Pasty Company said it would be vigorously fighting the VAT hike, although she vowed not to pass it on to consumers.

“The problem is that our customers can always downgrade but Greggs customers have nowhere to go," she said.
  15. I'd have more respect for the man if he stood outside Greggs and spat on people as they went in.
    • Like Like x 2