Dave Brubeck - Jazz Genius dies aged 91

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Fat_Cav, Dec 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TBH I thought he pegged it years ago.

Some of the best jazz tunes ever performed in my view. Many a mellow moment of contemplation to the classic melodies of Time Out

BBC News - Dave Brubeck: Take Five jazz pianist dies
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Went to see him live in the 60's,at what was the BBC TV Theatre,and is now the Shepherds Bush Empire,again.

He really was the 'dogs',Paul Desmond on the Sax,with Joe Morello on drums,best 3 hours I've ever spent listening!

They were filming an Old Grey Whistle Test Special,so we got most of 'Time Out' live,about 4 times,mega!
  3. Unsquare Dance. Wants me want to slip on a black polo neck and light up a Sobranie. Cool.
  4. Bugger, now that tune is stuck in my head, ah well, could have been sommat from the Bay City Rollers...
  5. I have a Deep Purple album which has a few studio out-takes.

At one point the sound engineer tells the band to have a break "Take five..."

Cue Jon Lord playing Dave Brubeck's classic...

6. He first introduced me to Cross Over in my beatnick days a very long time ago.RIP Dave.

Attached Files:

• bru.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
  7. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Gets many a contemplative play chez nous, black mock turtle optional. A true legend who produced some amazing stuff. 'Unsquare Dance' is the one going round in my head now.
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sad to hear that another of my entertainment idols has passed on. I first started listening to the mighty Brubeck way, way back, not long after a friend introduced me to Thelonius Monk. I know, the two styles were different, but it was the skill and superb ryjtmn that attracted me.
    I remember finding a very good Brubeck LP ( for younger viewers, these were Long Playing Records. A record being a disc shaped object made from vinyl and having the ability to reproduce music - with warmth and obligatory static hiss- and play it back when a needle which was attached to a complicated electronic system was placed on it) in a small stall in an indoor market in Kuching. Long, long before that city became a tourist spot. And I took this, along with a Beatles album ( bizarreley, recorded in Mandarin) back to my luxury apartment in the upmarket resort of Balai Ringin. Of course, I had no means of playing either or any of the records I bought, apart from distinct lack of mains electricity, there was a major and distinct lack of record player.

Anyway, Dave Brubeck and his quartet became very much a part of my life from when I was around 14 until and including even now. Oh, that must be nearly..........10 years.