Dave Allen: God's own comedian

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by slipperman, Apr 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shameless plug! A doucmentary about the life of the incomparable Dave Allen is on BBC2 tonight, starting at 9'o'clock. Now there was a comedian! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Already programmed in via the remote :pl:

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Yes, he was excellent. Learnt a great deal watching him in the 70s.

4. I bet they don't show the really good stuff. I don't think they'd be allowed.

5. He was spectacularly un-pc, so I expect the BBC to play it safe, particularly as it is on at 9. In the blurb I saw, it said "don't expect to learn how he lost his finger - he told his kids he lost it picking his nose!".

6. Pure class, Dave Allen. Great sketches.

Goodnight, and may your god go with you.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Watching it now. Can't believe I saw this for the first time nearly 40 years ago.

8. There was something very genuine about the way he would say that line - whilst I consider myself an athiest, it never failed to move me in a strange way.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Even here in Australia Dave was a Friday night must see. We couldn't wait to get to school Monday morning to retell his great yarns and sketches.

The sit down joke that immediately springs to mind, is the time an Irishman goes to the Doctor feeling a little off colour. The Doc gives him the once over and concludes it's his whiskey consumption that is making him ill, so as a way of demonstrating the harmfulness of the demon drink he pours a glass of whiskey and drops a worm into it which wriggles for a short time then dies. Doc then turns to Paddy and says, "Now Paddy, what moral did you get from this demonstration?"

Paddy scratches his head for a few moments, then the light-bulb goes 'Bing' in his head, and replies wide eyed, "If you drink whiskey you don't get worms!"

• Like Like x 1
  10. May your god go with you, and sadly one can only hope that his god has gone with him.

11. To think what utter rubbish we used to have on TV then, he was really funny, loved to see him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. My Father hated, what he called, religious rubbish on Sunday but could not wait for the Dave Allen spot after the 9 O clock news!

13. a particular favourite. Though it was a toss up between this and the fire and brimstone preacher sketch.

14. Dear wife, (septic but naturalised Brit now), was pissing herself during the sketches - must trawl the interwebnetthingy to see if any downloads available. Class act -don't make them like that anymore.

15. I have a best of Dave Allen DVD somewhere. Got It a few years ago. Might be available on amazon. Has all his greatest sketches and sit down jokes.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead