Dave Allen: God's own comedian

Shameless plug! A doucmentary about the life of the incomparable Dave Allen is on BBC2 tonight, starting at 9'o'clock. Now there was a comedian! :)

Yes, he was excellent. Learnt a great deal watching him in the 70s.

I bet they don't show the really good stuff. I don't think they'd be allowed.

He was spectacularly un-pc, so I expect the BBC to play it safe, particularly as it is on at 9. In the blurb I saw, it said "don't expect to learn how he lost his finger - he told his kids he lost it picking his nose!".

Even here in Australia Dave was a Friday night must see. We couldn't wait to get to school Monday morning to retell his great yarns and sketches.

The sit down joke that immediately springs to mind, is the time an Irishman goes to the Doctor feeling a little off colour. The Doc gives him the once over and concludes it's his whiskey consumption that is making him ill, so as a way of demonstrating the harmfulness of the demon drink he pours a glass of whiskey and drops a worm into it which wriggles for a short time then dies. Doc then turns to Paddy and says, "Now Paddy, what moral did you get from this demonstration?"

Paddy scratches his head for a few moments, then the light-bulb goes 'Bing' in his head, and replies wide eyed, "If you drink whiskey you don't get worms!"

B

bokkatankie

To think what utter rubbish we used to have on TV then, he was really funny, loved to see him.
My Father hated, what he called, religious rubbish on Sunday but could not wait for the Dave Allen spot after the 9 O clock news!

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=M6dnk1YyD7M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DM6d nk1YyD7M[/video]

a particular favourite. Though it was a toss up between this and the fire and brimstone preacher sketch.

Dear wife, (septic but naturalised Brit now), was pissing herself during the sketches - must trawl the interwebnetthingy to see if any downloads available. Class act -don't make them like that anymore.

Dear wife, (septic but naturalised Brit now), was pissing herself during the sketches - must trawl the interwebnetthingy to see if any downloads available. Class act -don't make them like that anymore.
I have a best of Dave Allen DVD somewhere. Got It a few years ago. Might be available on amazon. Has all his greatest sketches and sit down jokes.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
My Father hated, what he called, religious rubbish on Sunday but could not wait for the Dave Allen spot after the 9 O clock news!
People seem to think TV was brilliant back then, truly we had some God awful TV, remember Black and White minstrel show, Cannon and Ball, Little and Large, Christ what utter shit on shit.

A great comedian, sadly missed in my house as a kid when he was off the tv. My dad loved him and shared his distaste of rigid, organised religious dogma.

I remember a sketch he did where two old men (Dave Allen playing one of them) in wheelchairs had a duel. Instead of fighting, they each had their attractive nurses strip off an item at a time, until one of them keeled over from a heart attack.

Sent from beyond the grave using the Force.

Allen always played very close to the line considering the strength of religious feeling in Ireland (both north and south of the border). Especially with his occasional piss takes of the Rev Paisley. Always loved him for how he could take serious stuff and make it seem not really very important at all :p

Also loved his Military based sketches.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

B

bokkatankie

People seem to think TV was brilliant back then, truly we had some God awful TV, remember Black and White minstrel show, Cannon and Ball, Little and Large, Christ what utter shit on shit.
One wonders if his show would have seen the light of day in the modern BBC but I rather liked the Black and White Minstrel Show, did they wear make up?