Dave Allen BBC2 tonight 2100

Surprised the BBCare allowing it to be shown.
The man was a comedy genius and very un PC even in the 70's.

Tyk

LE
Surprised the BBCare allowing it to be shown.
The man was a comedy genius and very un PC even in the 70's.

I wonder if there will be some editing or even some stitching together of the "safe" bits from several episodes, either would be a great shame.
I agree he was seriously funny and far from PC even then.

I wonder if there will be some editing or even some stitching together of the "safe" bits from several episodes, either would be a great shame.
I agree he was seriously funny and far from PC even then.

Were there any 'safe' bits? Pretty much every sketch he did could cause offence these days...

And I fear that any decent bits of his will have been set up by comments from modern people who would fit well in the unfunny comedians thread.

Lenny Henry made Tommy Cooper look very ordinary a day or two back.

Lenny Henry looked a cnut, and an old unfunny one at that.

Were there any 'safe' bits? Pretty much every sketch he did could cause offence these days...
Forget the sketches, even though you are right.
Just him sitting on his stool, with a sparked-up tab and a glass of ‘water of life’ in hand, would have today’s producers and the professionally offended reaching for the sal volatile.

Forget the sketches, even though you are right.
Just him sitting on his stool, with a sparked-up tab and a glass of ‘water of life’ in hand, would have today’s producers and the professionally offended reaching for the sal volatile.

The sheer misogyny (in the eyes of the humourless) of his monologue about the garden of Eden and swearing an oath on the bible would send several thousand of them to an early grave...

Yokel

LE

I thought the reason there are rarely Dave Allen repeats was that he asked that his shows were not repeated?

From a doc on about him last year there were loads of stories about how he lost his finger mostly told by him to different people.
It still remains a mystery and even his own son didnt know how he actually lost it.
I dont know why but I love that fact.

Don't forget the writer's. You would be surprised who wrote for Dave Allen. Writer's who cut their teeth on those sketches went on to write comedy gold. DA and his production team knew how to pick em.
Not distracting from the man's talent just pointing out that planets have to align. Somuch harder now.
New rules.

His dad was in the Auxiliary Division Royal Irish Constabulary during the Irish war of independence 1919-21.

download - 2021-03-06T193318.515.jpg

@endure

Many thanks for posting this thread. watched this last night and pleasantly surprised that there was no "woke" commentary. The compilers had certainly worked to avoid the most "outrageous" of Dave Allen's comedy, but what they achieved was the funniest I have seen on the box for a considerable time.

From a doc on about him last year there were loads of stories about how he lost his finger mostly told by him to different people.
It still remains a mystery and even his own son didnt know how he actually lost it.
I dont know why but I love that fact.

What I spotted when I was watching the clip I posted earlier was that when DA wants to signify the number one, he used his middle finger on that hand, which if you didn't know about his index finger could have funny outcomes.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
'...and may your god go with you.'

Latest Threads