Date-rape drugs not widespread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Horridlittleman, Nov 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC news link

A discussion ongoing on Radio 2 at the moment.

119 out of 120 alleged victims said they had been drinking.

10 were suspected drug-assisted assaults - but none were linked to the date-rape drug Rohypnol

I know this can be a touchy subject but the findings do indicate that it appears most cases appear to be from someone who has drunk too much in addition to almost 50% having taken prescribed or recreational drugs as well. In these cases an individual may prefer to say they have been drugged involuntarily than got so drunk that they don't know what has been going on.

I await incoming.

2. You speak absolute sense.

For a while I have been cynical regarding rohypnol use, surely it's far easier for a potential 'date-rapist' to stick a treble in 'already slightly tipsy girl's' alcopop rather than source rohypnol, and risk being seen slipping pills into a drink.

Lasses need to be more aware of their limitations to avoid the risk of this kind of thing.

3. I think Rohypnol has just been used as an excuse as after consuming nineteen pints of Newcastle Brown, popping Granny's hormone tablets and something they bought off some bloke in the bar, it is ALL too easy to say they've been date raped as by the time they can speak without slurring, the Rohypnol is out of the system.

The effects of the Newcastle Brown however last far longer, particularly noticeable to those who have to use the same toilet.

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

This was reported on Radio 4's Today this morning, and featured a ridiculous American woman who represents Wimmin Against Rape (and lots of other things too, probably), who thought the report 'unhelpful, because it gives the impression that if a woman has a drink she's asking to be raped'. What arrant nonsense. Can these morons not see that a woman who consumes vast quantities of alcohol is increasing her vulnerability to all sorts of things, from spilling kebab sauce on her shoes, to being knocked over on the road, to engaging in sexual activity she later regrets as well as rape.

I don't imagine anyone is unsympathetic towards rape victims, but it remains fact that there are women who make false allegations, and that drunk and/or drugged women may not be fully in control of themselves, nor do they make the most reliable witnesses.

5. It became a moral panic after it was suspected to have been used by Essex serial rapist Richard Baker and an alert went out to "assume" that any intoxicated female complaining of rape or sexual assualt might have been drugged and to test for Rohypnol.

So if you have to keep looking for something general assumption is it must be there. Bit like WMD in Iraq, really.

But as far back as 1997 studies have been showing that genuine drug induced rapes are rare in both the US and the UK.

6. Hoorah! And trebles all round! (Except for you women folk of course).

7. I wouldn't know Rohypnol if it fell in my drink.

And I bet it doesn't make women look more attractive.

I'll stick with the meths and avtur.

8. Complete f&*king minefield of a subject to debate just waste your breath and raise your blood pressure. There are so many factors no-one will be right and no-one will be wrong. This will make the Deepcut thread look like rational and reasoned debate.

Anyway my tuppence worth.

My house was also listening to said article on R4 this morning I was in lounge and wife was in Kitchen. when the woman was announced as a rep of 'Women Against Rape' which caused my wife to shout in derision "So is there is another group representing women in favour of rape?"

As for the old drugged drink excuse I was in Hong Kong years ago and it was the urban myth spounted by the US Navy who couldn't take the fact that their blokes could't hold their drink. Brits on the other hand also couldn't hold their drink, but accepted that they were put in jail because they were drunk and stupid.

9. The two key points here which have been lost in all the noise, even in this Telegraph article, are those that have been picked up separately by VB and Cowshed.

1: Voluntary consumption of alcohol and other drugs increases your chances of becoming a victim of crime; any crime, whether you are a man or a woman.

2: Using alcohol to effect a rape is use of a drug, in exactly the same way as using Rohypnol or GBH.

Sadly, there are too many dinosaurs out there who might baulk at using sedatives to achieve the same effect but think that it's good sport to shag a drunk girl, whether or not they have taken part in getting her that way. This is, I think, what the Wimmin Against Rape were trying to say, but ended up attacking the authors of the report, not the perpetrators of the deeds.

10. B_D_S I agree but there is a world of difference between:

1) a sexual predator spiking a girls drink with a drug that would not be noticed and would enable him to carry out a sexual assault or rape.

and

2) a bloke on the pi$$ and on the prowl who chats up somebody ends up buying them drinks, she gets drunk (knowing full well that she is getting drunk), they consensually end up in bed. She decides that she's been foolish and decides that instead of saying that she got blind drunk and did something stupid (the same could be said for the bloke), she says that her drink was spiked and therefore removes any responsibility for her own actions.

I know that there is no excuse for any rape but the responsibility for one's own actions still remain. I know its not a very good comparison but imagine the same girl lets someone buy drinks for her all night and then gets in a car blind drunk - she is still responsible for her actions if she knocks someone down whilst drink driving!

11. I dealt with around 15 Rapes when I was serving, 3 turned out to be genuine, the rest were either malicious or women who were to embarassed to admit they made a mistake. This subject realy p*sses me off and I think anyone who does make a false allergation should get prosecuted as this completley recks a persons life when they are subject to a false complaint.

12. Ah! Was that before or after the trick of freezing vodka? Yanks like their drinks well iced.

14. I wish someone had pulled that one on me. I used to think I was a real drinker downing 20 or so Bacardis a night until a bar manager explained the rip off of pouring a glass of coke wiped around the rim with rum. Went back to beers and was hammered on the usual pitifully small quantity and saved a fortune

15. A mate of mine is convinced he was the victim of a date-rape incident. We haven't the heart to tell him what actually happened because it's such a wheeze winding him up about it...

SO1 arrives early at Christmas party, gets completely spannered and about 2130 falls down unconscious at hotel bar. 3 mates carry him off to his room, strip him naked, fill a condom with ice and place it gently between the cheeks of his arrse.

Next morning he wakes up to find soggy condom, a large wet patch and a very numb botty! It took 3 months before he actually told me his worst fears, my how we're still laughing Tee Hee!