When do you expect a GE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Following the train smash that our Parliament has become a GE seems inevitable; so when do you expect one?

The Poll will run for 7 days. No cheating by phoning Brenda from Bristol !

Following the train smash that our Parliament has become a GE seems inevitable; so when do you expect one?
After yesterday's fiasco, I do not think they should have one.

Why waste in the region of £ 20 million smackeroo's electing total f*ckwits.

If they cannot do what was promised in what was arguably the biggest Referendum in the modern era. F@ck them.

No more money wasted on elections. Let them die out by natural means.

Not going to happen. Unfortunately.

There is no way PMBJ will get two thirds, as most of them know their days are numbered - why vote to take your nose out of the trough. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Brenda would just say "Not another Poll", quickly followed by Gordon Brown calling her a bigoted woman complaining about immigration again

Not going to happen. Unfortunately.

There is no way PMBJ will get two thirds, as most of them know their days are numbered - why vote to take your nose out of the trough. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
It's only 2/3 if BJ asks for an election, it's less if he loses a vote of no confidence

There is nothing to stop BJ putting a motion to house, that this house has no confidence in the government

And then you're another step closer to a general election

Boris last night made it very plain that he believes the new leader has to be in place by the 17th October and will not accept anything parliament submits.... So they have little choice, pass the rubbish they need to pass today and then a GE is called for the 15th October. With a day to swear in a new PM and then off to Brussels.

My assumption a month or so ago was Parliament is out of control and will refuse to allow a GE after today. Then try and have an election for the 24th, with the EU Meeting absent a British PM and broadcasting love and kisses to anyone, but the Tories in the hope of influencing the public.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve had a summer break, no news for a month, no I pad, nothing. I have been reading this for the past few days feeling to depressed and down to actually comment.
What has happened here? How have we ended up with such a left wing terrorist supporting leader of the opposition who is now holding the country to ransom?
Bercow will state later today that this Bill voted for last night will not need to be subject to The Queens Stamp of approval (I’ve forgotten what they call it), so that rules out Boris throwing it in the bin on the third reading, it’s as good as passed which leaves us with what?
Boris calls for an election but can’t get one due to Davids great idea and Corbyn will just sit there with that horrible grin on his horrible snidely face saying “we’re not dancing to your tune”.
This leaves Boris with no alternative but to go to Brussels with a few brown envelopes stuffed with cash and the odd Rolex and other goodies asking for one of the member states, any state just one will do to veto his proposal of asking for an extension. Once this has been done and veto confirmed we can sit back and laugh at the undemocratic bastards that infest Westminster.

Will one member state veto? That’s the question, just one veto and we are out without a deal, trouble is The EU won’t get their hands on our £39billion so maybe we are stuck. Westminster is shambolic and I’ve got a headache.
When will an election take place? Within a month of leaving, whenever that will be.

Last edited:
It's only 2/3 if BJ asks for an election, it's less if he loses a vote of no confidence

There is nothing to stop BJ putting a motion to house, that this house has no confidence in the government

Corby won't table a no confidence vote - that will play directly into BoJo's hand.

Can a PM really table a no confidence in his own Government vote? If he can, will the treacherous speaker allow it?!

First off, I am not phoning Brenda without pictorial evidence. Secondly, a GE is the only outcome from this, however candidate choice will be interesting and also the role of Mr Farage and the Brexit Party.

4(T)

LE
A big problem is that there are two GEs that have to be held:

1. The first GE to decide who is running the UK parliamentary regime (it no longer qualifies as a democratic government), and who is to deliver/spike Brexit;

2. The second - and the one that actually matters to the electorate - is to validate the outcome of Brexit.

BoJo probably cannot risk a pre-Brexit GE anyway, because of (2). Viz if he delivers a hard Brexit on the 31st, then he reaps the TBP vote and lands a thumping majority. If, however, he chooses or is forced to deliver a WA Brexit, then TBP will simply scoop up about 70%(?) of the Tory vote.

Holding a pre-Brexit GE is a Hobson's choice for the UK electorate - they will be forced to vote without any information about the key issue they are committing to. Parliamentarians will be yet again taking the electorate for fools whose voting input carries no democratic impact or relevance.

Corby won't table a no confidence vote - that will play directly into BoJo's hand.

Can a PM really table a no confidence in his own Government vote? If he can, will the treacherous speaker allow it?!
Any MP can, and Boris is still a member of parliament the last time I checked

Sackerson

Old-Salt

To be consistent, Parliament should abolish the general franchise altogether.

I’ve had a summer break, no news for a month, no I pad, nothing. I have been reading this for the past few days feeling to depressed and down to actually comment.
What has happened here? How have we ended up with such a left wing terrorist supporting leader of the opposition who is now holding the country to ransom?
Bercow will state later today that this Bill voted for last night will not need to be subject to The Queens Stamp of approval (I’ve forgotten what they call it), so that rules out Boris throwing it in the bin on the third reading, it’s as good as passed which leaves us with what?
Boris calls for an election but can’t get one due to Davids great idea and Corbyn will just sit there with that horrible grin on his horrible snidely face saying “we’re not dancing to your tune”.
This leaves Boris with no alternative but to go to Brussels with a few brown envelopes stuffed with cash and the odd Rolex and other goodies asking for one of the member states, any state just one will do to veto his proposal of asking for an extension. Once this has been done and veto confirmed we can sit back and laugh at the undemocratic bastards that infest Westminster.

Will one member state veto? That’s the question, just one veto and we are out without a deal, trouble is The EU won’t get their hands on our £39billion so maybe we are stuck. Westminster is shambolic and I’ve got a headache.
When will an election take place? Within a month of leaving, whenever that will be.
I m not sure - if BoJo completely fails to comply with the new resolution and Jezza won’t call a VoNC or agree to a GE then what if anything can parliament do if BoJo just runs the clock out? I don’t know what the rules are in that instance ?

If I can’t ring Brenda from Bristol, can I try Betty from Balmoral? She might have a clue.

‘This House has confidence in Her Majesty’s Government’ is the way he does it.

It is, strictly, a vote of confidence whether the wording is as above or - if the motion is from the Opposition - is worded as ‘this House has no confidence...’

Were the unlikely to happen and Ken Clarke to emerge as an interim PM, the FTPA would require a confidence motion, and that would be laid by the putative government, inviting the House to express its confidence in the new administration.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I m not sure - if BoJo completely fails to comply with the new resolution and Jezza won’t call a VoNC or agree to a GE then what if anything can parliament do if BoJo just runs the clock out? I don’t know what the rules are in that instance ?
He has to comply if it’s passed. The only way this Letwin Bill isn’t going to get passed is if Bercow allows it to be stamped with the Queens approval and on the third reading Boris can then bin it. As I said can’t see that happening that little shite of a speaker will pass it.

‘This House has confidence in Her Majesty’s Government’ is the way he does it.

It is, strictly, a vote of confidence whether the wording is as above or - if the motion is from the Opposition - is worded as ‘this House has no confidence...’

Were the unlikely to happen and Ken Clarke to emerge as an interim PM, the FTPA would require a confidence motion, and that would be laid by the putative government, inviting the House to express its confidence in the new administration.
I'm sure, as bad as he is, Corbyn will see that play coming a mile off though, and they will all vote that they have the utmost confidence in the Government? So it is a bit pointless - or am I missing something?!

I imagine that Labour would abstain, condeming it as a waste of parliamentary time and a device to thwart the will of parliament etc, etc.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

He should have declared last night's vote as a Confidence one. He could then have dictated the date of election.

Diane Abbott says Brexit is on hold, we will get an extension from the EU & vote on the 31st November 2019 in a general election which Labour will win by a land slide, Ms Abbott will be foreign secretary so she says.*

* I'm starting not to care, but if Arrse's donate me £500 I will stand for the OMRLP.

Latest Threads