data protection Act

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Pararegtom, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

I,m putting this post in the Naafi because it,s not a news event. And I am so pissed off with these laws that are ment to protect us from within.

Today my Mother aged 79 a mother of 4 Parachute Regt Soldiers 2 who became policemen and 3 daughters 2 lawyers 1 teacher all of whom have no criminal records was mugged in broad day light for the sum of £25 suffered a broken jaw, hip and 4 ribs. On a London bus with CCtV none of us are allowed to veiw the CCTV due to the data protection act, as it,s a local bus we thought we might know the local scroats who done this alas no, as they require protection under the law, Tell that to an old lady who survived the blitz and who,s husband survived D day. this govt disgusts me.
  2. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Sorry to hear that, hope she has a speedy recovery and something is done to get the bastards.
  3. Best wishes to your mum for a speedy recovery Prt.
    I hope the police track down the scum sharpish. As for the DPA excuse what a load of Political correctness ball locks.
  4. You may be doing it the wrong way around

if your Mum take an action against London Bus through the COurts

the CCTV can be used as evidence- your Mum may get a few bob from London bus

but more importantly, you as a family get to see who did this.

Sorry to hear about your Mum.
  5. Too right they will if you and your family find them mate. I hope you do.

I can't even begine to imagine how angry you are.

I wish your mum a speedy recovery.

6. Pararegtom,

Someone is talking shoite or barring you on a technicality. YOU may be denied, but your MOTHER is allowed. Make a formal request in her name, get the old dear to sign it and off you go.

If they have your mother's picture on record and your mother wants to see then she has every right.

But I guess the top priority is getting yer ma some of that Arnica gel and playing the attentive nurse. All the best.
  7. Seconded. Chuck in the phrase 'right of subject access' and watch how quickly the DPA ceases to be a barrier.

It's a good law in many ways, but it's like H&S - a convenient excuse for the terminally lazy to avoid doing things they should be doing.
  8. PRT, sorry to hear about the events affecting your old dear,

ref DPA, the act is quite clear, 'right of subject access' would apply if for example, only the subject was viewable, because there are more than one person on the video, that, unfortunately precludes a 'Right of Access' appeal unless all the people on the vid agree, some chance eh?

Boils my piss, but there it is.
  9. That's not true. I checked the cctv code of conduct in case I was spouting urine. The cctv operator has a duty to disguise other subjects. The cctv operator also has the option of asking the "subject" if just popping in to view it once is acceptable.

The law is ass, I know. But it's defo on the side of the old biddy. I reckon anyone who mugs for £25 doesn't have many changes of clothes, so hopefully that's enough to identify said smackhead on street corner.

These types of vermin have a habit of dissapearing up alleyways and never being seen again, quite appropriately. I like to think the last thoughts that go through their mind is "Mummy told me I'd cross the wrong one, one day." and "I'd better move out of this area quick smart."
  10. Get your mum to take an action against London Bus

they will seek an order of discovery for the CCTV tapes

they will then join the scrotes as a party to the action

you get the name and address of the said scrotes

thats the way we do it this side of the Irish Sea
  11. "No fixed abode" Mugging helpless pensioners for cash. Druggie, for sure. If he is local, you'll find him hanging around the chemist 30 mins before it opens every morning to get his daily dose of methodone now that chemists can dispense it. That's where I'd look in the first instance.

Hard to beat these characters in cold blood though. They have snivelling down to an art form, so best to strike while the irons hot. It's really the dealers that need the kicking.
  12. I am really sorry to hear this Tom.
    I hope your Mum is OK and she is not too much damaged mentally as well as physically.

Make loads of noise, to the press and anyone who will listen, send letters and make a bloody nuisance of yourself.

I'm sorry the 'System' feels that you aren't worth the bother of any consideration but that is because the people that run it are assholes.
  13. thirded, and hope yer mam's ok soon enough

and dougerlugs, stop saying reasonable things that i agree with, i'm starting to worry
  14. Tom,
    Sorry to heare about your mum, i hopes she makes a full recovery.

Right DPA it is quite clear, your mum can apply to London transport or TFL not sure which (should be stickers on the bus to say who the data controller is and contact details) for any CCTV footage that may contain her image as much detail as poss is required Dates Timings etc.

It is the responsibility of the data controller to respond within 30 days of the request (a charge may be incurred for the footage usually £10) it is for them to then provide that footage, what they must do pixelate the images of all other persons in the footage (even if they are fcuking scum) so they cannot be identified
  15. Well I have access to my Military record, even though certain letters and reports mention others and their permission wasn't sought. The names were simply redacted. The same goes for images, so long as the others are given the SAS treatment.