Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam 'Black Box'

@Cold_Collation

I see an upside to cars being more high tech as well.
Im looking forward to the day when police can 'fry' a stolen car they are chasing and bring the car to a halt. Im sure some will say a speeding car with a lack of power to the brakes and steering goes against someone's human rights etc, but I could overlook that hahahahahahaha

When you said 'fry' I was expecting that the car would combust.

Or

@Cold_Collation

I see an upside to cars being more high tech as well.
Im looking forward to the day when police can 'fry' a stolen car they are chasing and bring the car to a halt. Im sure some will say a speeding car with a lack of power to the brakes and steering goes against someone's human rights etc, but I could overlook that hahahahahahaha

And imagine how soon after that's introduced, there'll be an ND with a KSI.

Slime

LE
With respect, a lot of effort has gone into making things robust. Too much is at stake if things are compromised. Ignore the scare-mongering.
At 2:14 a.m., EDT, on August 29, as Skynet goes live and attains self awareness, I'll be be reminding you of that!
:omfg:
:)

This is a sample from my Dashcam, Nothing particulary special in content but it gives an idea of what can be seen.
Your cam works better than my eyes in half-light conditions

When you said 'fry' I was expecting that the car would combust.

Or

This was a thing you could get in South Africa for a while.
flame.jpg

Remember the BMW “Blaster” – South Africa’s Flamethrowing Car

Now that cars are so computerised, and 'Crash for Cash' and insurance fraud are so prevalent, is it time to introduce 'Black Box' gadgets into cars during production as a standard fit? They could include:
  • Cameras front, rear (at driver eyesight level) and aimed at the driver - shows what other drivers are doing and that the driver is awake and alert, not playing with a phone or radio etc and looking where is is going.
  • A display of whether the driver is accelerating, slowing, braking or on Cruise Control.
  • A display showing what lights are on at the time of an incident. Headlights, indicators, fog lights, main beam, brake light.
  • A speed reading.
  • Tyre pressures.
  • Temperature and whether windscreen wipers are in use.
  • Steering angle.
With all of this it would make the investigation of an RTC, incident or crime easier and quicker. Insurance rates would drop as fraud would be harder. 'Crash for cash' attempts would be easier to prove and thus refuse payouts. The driver could prove he was doing things correctly if an incident occurred safer for the driver as he could prove he was not at fault.

Almost all of this information is already going through the car's computer so it should be fairly easy and inexpensive to incorporate the system which could be in a crash proof box like Airlines use (wouldn't need to be as big or strong). The recording could go to duplicate memory cards - One for Police, one for driver/insurance company.

What are your thoughts?
I recently fitted one, with fore and aft fish-eye cameras, an extra wide rear view mirror is the screen.
Go over a bump and the rear camera view comes on and it tends to throw me a bit as the view is very different from a mirrors reflection.
Laws needed here to stop numpties using these mirrors as tv screens to watch movies as they drive.

Slime

LE
I recently fitted one, with fore and aft fish-eye cameras, an extra wide rear view mirror is the screen.
Go over a bump and the rear camera view comes on and it tends to throw me a bit as the view is very different from a mirrors reflection.
Laws needed here to stop numpties using these mirrors as tv screens to watch movies as they drive.

Do you mean like the laws that already exist, and already make it illegal for a driver to watch TV/ A DVD etc while driving.

Or do you mean like the tech that already exists and links the display to the cars ECU/systems so a professionally installed system wont work while the car is drivng?