Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam 'Black Box'

T

Tinman74

Yes,
if I make a genuine mistake why not? , last time I bumped a car through innatention I put my hand in my pocket and paid up, and informed the insurance company

As did I, I didn't even have a gash cam.

Do you tow a caravan?

Blackvue is one of the best
although not cheap, I fit them to certain clients cars
you download via the smart phone on bluetooth
I have seen quite a few light aircraft fitted with them, most interesting whent he Emperor visits and the plane drops out of the sky !
check out this chaps videos, some of these drivers should be executed on the spot

The gash driving in this video is often on the part of the driver recording it, a little bit of courtesy wouldn't have hindered his progress in some occasions but would have nullified any of the impact of the others.

First concept I was taught of advanced driving was be forgiving of yourself and others because we can all have bad days

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The gash driving in this video is often on the part of the driver recording it, a little bit of courtesy wouldn't have hindered his progress in some occasions but would have nullified any of the impact of the others.

First concept I was taught of advanced driving was be forgiving of yourself and others because we can all have bad days
So what about the arrogant driver in the SUV who overtook a long line of traffic on the wrong side of the road ?
a pedestrian crossing would not expect a car to come from that direction
many of the others in his second video are just plain arrogance and lack of patience
his driving seems ok to me he aint speeding, is correctly positioned on the road

I didn't say the other drivers weren't gash, but some of those situations regardless of the standards of others could have been improved by him taking a differing course of action. Its not a personal attack. High standard driving isnt so much going quickly its anticipating the stupidity of others and reducing or removing the risk posed by them which he didn't do.

The one which stands out without re watching it in particular is the vehicle moving onto a dual carriageway which then lurches back in. If our man had anticipated the hazard which was foreseeable he could have moved over into lane 2 giving the other vehicle chance to get on without hindering his progress and removing the possibility of rear ending someone trying to force their way on. That however is just my opinion. I would like to have heard the sound on some of the clips to see what he was doing.

This is the definition of advanced driving,
"Advanced driving is the ability to control the position and speed of the vehicle safely, systematically and smoothly, using road and traffic conditions to progress unobtrusively with skill and responsibility. This skill requires a positive but courteous attitude and a high standard of driving competence based on concentration, effective all round observation, anticipation, and planning. This must be co-ordinated with good handling skills. The vehicle will always be at the right speed with the correct gear engaged and can always be stopped safely on its own side of the road in the distance that can be seen to be clear."

Although his driving was safe it could have been better reducing the risk to himself personally.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't say the other drivers weren't gash, but some of those situations regardless of the standards of others could have been improved by him taking a differing course of action. Its not a personal attack. High standard driving isnt so much going quickly its anticipating the stupidity of others and reducing or removing the risk posed by them which he didn't do.
ho capito
trouble is the one time you cannot take avoiding action, the dashcam comes in to play
been in a car with a class 1 driver, when a sarf landon wannabee gangsta did something stupid
neither of us saw it coming, lucky it was my car and not his
sometimes their is no where to go, sometimes you are tired
sometimes it happens so quickly you have no time to react, no matter how much training
the digital evidence provides clear proof without opnions or heated exchanges
its almost as clinical as a Coroners court

A lot of people I know are now putting them onto their bikes. Not to be highway vigilantes but to try and save the hassle of the insurance company spinning it out with who's to blame etc.

I mentioned it earlier but this incident came to court for dangerous driving,have a look and see if you agree with the jury.

T

Tinman74

I suspect the relavent police forces will be contacting yourself a to try for the specials.

Or you could all go and join the AR RMP.

I think Dashcams are brilliant for their intended purpose but their are too many people being internet enforcers, or believing that their driving is beyond reproach when it is quite often not.

I suspect the relavent police forces will be contacting yourself a to try for the specials.

Or you could all go and join the AR RMP.

I tried AR RMP and I was too unfit.

A lot of people I know are now putting them onto their bikes. Not to be highway vigilantes but to try and save the hassle of the insurance company spinning it out with who's to blame etc.

I mentioned it earlier but this incident came to court for dangerous driving,have a look and see if you agree with the jury.

What was the Jury's verdict? I can't hear what the driver says in response but It looks like it was intentional which would make it dangerous and if he didn't see him it was certainly careless.

What was the Jury's verdict? I can't hear what the driver says in response but It looks like it was intentional which would make it dangerous and if he didn't see him it was certainly careless.
They went for careless driving. It all stemmed from an earlier incident where the truck driver was on his own bike and didn't like the rider cutting in at a junction. He chased him and had words. The truck driver was later sacked as well as being fined. It led to a mini hate campaign on a couple of bike forums where they discovered he was ex rifles and had him down as the stereotypical ex squaddie nut job.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
They went for careless driving. It all stemmed from an earlier incident where the truck driver was on his own bike and didn't like the rider cutting in at a junction. He chased him and had words. The truck driver was later sacked as well as being fined. It led to a mini hate campaign on a couple of bike forums where they discovered he was ex rifles and had him down as the stereotypical ex squaddie nut job.
ahyes I recall that other video where the weirdo pursued him
deffo probs up top

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Google something called Cooperative ITS. ITS stands for Intelligent Transport Systems. The 'Cooperative' bit refers to cars that interact with the road infrastructure, exchanging data on where they are, their intentions, road conditions and so on. Effectively, every vehicle on the road becomes a probe/source of data, not just a recipient.

Years away? Nah. I was at a conference in Detroit last autumn where GM's head said she'd accelerate deployment onto some roads within a couple of years. The same's going on in Europe.

As to camera systems, you might start by looking at CMOS sensors - the types of cameras you see in mobile phones. A CMOS-based camera the size of a 2 Euro coin could be stuck in a traffic signal post and provide a usable street-monitoring capability. That can easily be integrated into a vehicle and the quality of images your current smart phones can generate demonstrates a base level of image quality that we can expect. The cost point on the vision technology is coming down all the time. The car manufacturers are chasing a cost point in the single hundreds of dollars but it will continue to come down. Moore's Law and all that.

Cost is an issue, certainly. Look at things like the Terramax - the autonomous logistics vehicle that the US Army has been developing - pricey, but iterative generations and volume production will bring that down. That's the absolute top-end - a vehicle that can navigate off-road, rather than just following the road.

But cars such as Mercedes's S-Class already have machine vision technology on board which will allow the car to follow, unaided, the lines in the road, the cars in front and so on. The machine vision technology can pick out of the vista in front of the vehicle such things as road signs, interpret them and act/react accordingly. So the technology's already here for hands-off driving and at a price point that can go into top-level cars. Expect the E-Class to have it in the not-too-distant, and equivalent trickle-down in other manufacturers' ranges soon.

The sticking points are legislative - the Vienna Convention stipulated for a long time that there be a human in the loop. That's been changed recently, albeit on the quiet, but in reality cars such as the S-Class can already effectively drive themselves.

Google might be grabbing the headlines because it's a consumer brand but the mainstream motor manufacturers have been plugging away, individually and collectively through government-funded ITS projects, for years.

So, expect it be around a lot sooner than some of you expect.

Well after much deliberation I have now had professionally installed a Dashcam . I live in a small village however the access roads contain some difficult bends .... good for controlling speed ... I quite often see cars which have approached too fast to one of the corners and then embarked on a short flight into a field ... but people also cut these corners . I bought the Next Base 312GW and I must say it seems quite impressive ... switches on automatically with the ignition and the camera itself slides on / off the windscreen mount .When I view captured journeys on my Laptop as well as the Video Image it displays speed etc and also on a map the car journey . Still playing around looking at additional features available on it .

Forgive me if I see that as a bit of a design flaw.
No my bad the camera slides in / out easily .... but with a final tight interference fit into the connectors .