Das Boot

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by spike7451, Mar 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just starting on BBC1
    A classic!
  2. BBC2
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Doh! slab on.
  4. The fcuking dozy bitch of an announcer couldn't even pronounce it correctly ffs!
  5. Not online though. Too bad. A good film about how the Nazis failed to kill my grandfather - but not through lack of trying!
  6. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Oh yes. I bought the mini-series on DVD and the edited version I loved it that much.

7. :? Do you mean.......

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Bone useless factoid, but the actors came back and dubbed them selves in English later when the film became popular in the English speaking world a few years later.

Agreed it's a classic, OK off to get the DVD out and watch it again :D
  9. The unedited version is way better, the book is a belter as well.
  10. I must say I'm a purist who has to watch it in German but if it's double dutch to you subtitles are better than dubbing. Hearing a British voice inside a dank German sub sends me back to We Dive at Dawn and brightens the place up far too much.
  11. I'd already read the book (in German) before I saw the filum (again in German, and I've never seen the English language version). Watching the filum was a bit of a readjustment for me, since the book is written in the first person from the point of view of Leutnant Werner (Herbert Grönemeyer). All in all, I prefer the book, as it's much more evocative and really captures the suppressed panic of Werner and the rest of the crew.

I can't really comment either on the English language version of the filum or the book, so I find any remarks made about both of them very enlightening.

12. Aprille-Aprille! Probe-alarm :D
  13. Bugsy wrote
    Herbert Grönemeyer? As in ; Mensch is Mensch? I thought it was only Brit pop stars who fancied themselves as actors, or did he act first?

Das Boot is the dog's. A classic war film, very little (on the same budget and scale) comes close. Liked it so much, I use the old man's avatar.

14. Der Alte hat gesagt "Keine Kriegsgerircht,Johann"