Das Boot

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by crabby, Feb 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Long, long looooong film, but very very good.

Am trying to work out if it's better in English or German with subtitles. I think it loses a lot when in English.

One question for submariners; when being depth charged all that seems to happen is "deeper chief, deeper" - which I can imagine is fine in an all male setting when frustrations have set in - but never seemed to confuse the Royal Navy destroyers at all. Surely there are better ways?
  2. Definitely better in German.
  3. Ageed. Even if you can't read subtitles or speak german you still get the bits that matter.

4. I suppose "Beam me up, Scotty" was a bit after their time.
  5. Although I'm clearly not a submariner, the answer to the above is that the deeper you go the less effect depth charges have as the increased water pressure contains the explosion. On the other hand if you go too deep then you're f**ked anyway. I'd rather have a shovel and a hole in the ground! Much safer.

Oh and the film's a damn sight better in German.
  6. Here’s a brutal scene from “Das Boot” with Jürgen Prochnow, that berk Martin Semmelroge (son of Willi Semmelroge, also an actor) and of course the inimitable “Gröni”.

Cracking film and much better in German.
  7. Damn good film/series much better in the native tongue and note a million times better than that b0llocks U-571 :pissedoff:

Know f-all about sub-marines except gonads had to be large to be sealed in a tin can underwater while someone drops tnt on your head. :shock:
  8. Are you sure? Surely water is incompressible, so the only effect of increased depth would be the pressure on the sides of the sub. The added pressure of the explosion could be enough to rupture the hull.

Perhaps a better argument would be that the weakest direction of water is upwards (where the air is, allowing the water to be displaced) so the blast "sphere" of an explosion would be marginally less beneath the depth charge than above it. At great depth this would have a negligible difference due to the surface being so far away.

I suspect that a sub would be safer beneath a depth charge than above it, but only because the release of air trapped in the water, on heading towards the surface, could affect the stability of the sub, potentially resulting in fatal errors of hydroplane control.

But I'm only guessing and have no desire to conduct a practical experiment.
  9. Great film. Far better with subs, I cannot stand dubs at all. Changing the original soundtrack is a crime. Any foreign film connoisseur will agree.
  10. I always assumed they went deeper to get further away from the bang, which would happen at the depth they had been ASDICed at?

Go deep, go silent and try to avoid being pinged again. Send some old clothes, gash and bilge out of the tubes to try and convince the stalking sub killer(s) that they've got you, then when you think the hunt is over, go up to periscope depth and check before surfacing to get that much needed breath of fresh air before starting surface running on diesels to recharge the batteries.
  11. Or... confuse the destroyer by going to 20m dead silent instead of constantly fecking diving?
  12. And imitate the noise of bulkheads crushing as if the hull were plunging to the depths and completely empty the fuel tanks (did they have a remote controlled panel on the outside of the fuel tanks to allow this?) to create a convincingly large oil slick. "Hang on Kapitaen, ve need to point ze bow downvards for a couple of hours so zat ve can fill ze torpedo tube viz ze buckets of oil. Zen ve need to point ze bow upvards so zat ze oil vill come out."

It's done in all the films, but I can't believe that a destroyer captain wouldn't notice the difference between a bucketful of light machine oil (if he could even see it) and thousands of gallons of diesel.
  13. I think venting oil was an option. As for torpedo tubes, they're fired by compressed air so you don't need to tilt anything anyway - I know that much.
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Water is compressible - it is just v v difficult to do but it does have its uses in a military context. Importantly, water salinity differs at depths

Depth charges were normally set for either a shallow of deep attack. It needed to be less than 5m from the sub's hull to have a chance of a kill.

Simply put, the deeper the sub went the greater the chance of a depth charge being off target, the more likely the asdic picture would be skewed by water dynamics (salinity, current). The longer the charge was in the water the greater the chance of it being drifted by current, of not falling straight etc etc.

All aded up to the % chance of it being in the kill zone being lowered.
  15. Awesome film, I was gutted at the end!