Das Boot new series

Thomson’s cap was a pissed as he was.

Despite Admiral (as he finished up) Topp in my avatar I am not a submariner.
I believe it was Topp who slipped one in the USS Ruben James,thinking she was one of ours. No doubt much to the war cabinets secret delight. Bringing the US a step closer to participating in hostilities. ;)

I believe it was Topp who slipped one in the USS Ruben James...
It was. Twenty something years later he was on the NATO Staff in Washington.

One the few U Boat COs referred to as ‘life insurance’ by the crew. Sail with him and you’re coming home.

View attachment 377379
A very minor character, but unforgettable.
Agreed .... I am sure I read somewhere that the actor who portrayed Thomson really was three sheets to the wind , as my father would say , when he appeared in some of his scenes .... true method acting ?

Agreed .... I am sure I read somewhere that the actor who portrayed Thomson really was three sheets to the wind , as my father would say , when he appeared in some of his scenes .... true method acting ?
Thanks for that:
In the "Director's Cut" DVD audio commentary, Petersen says that Sander was really drunk while they were shooting the scene.
I'll have a re-watch of the scene later.

edit to add: Throughout the filming, the actors were forbidden to go out in sunlight, to create the pallor of men who seldom saw the sun during their missions. The actors went through intensive training to learn how to move quickly through the narrow confines of the vessel.

Thanks for that:
In the "Director's Cut" DVD audio commentary, Petersen says that Sander was really drunk while they were shooting the scene.
I'll have a re-watch of the scene later.

edit to add: Throughout the filming, the actors were forbidden to go out in sunlight, to create the pallor of men who seldom saw the sun during their missions. The actors went through intensive training to learn how to move quickly through the narrow confines of the vessel.
I have that DVD .... that is where I must have heard it when I played it with the audio commentary on .

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm struggling to think of any remake on film or TV that bettered the original. They must exist, but I cannot immediately think of any.

I suppose if a millennial first saw a remake, they'd think that was the original and if they subsequently saw the actual original, they'd think that it was crap.

For the most part, modern remakes very often lack the the charm and naivety of the original. Now it's all, 'We've got CGI now and by Christ we're going to use it. And while we're at it, make sure that we cast women and blacks in the lead roles. Anachronistic? Never heard of the word.'
Battlestar Galactica

Watching now. I’m up to episode 4. So far, so...ok.

Some of the subtitles aren’t quite accurate though.
They had one word ‘fötze‘ translated as ‘asshole’.
In the German language I’ve picked up over the years I’ve never heard it translated as that!

Watching now. I’m up to episode 4. So far, so...ok.

Some of the subtitles aren’t quite accurate though.
They had one word ‘fötze‘ translated as ‘asshole’.
In the German language I’ve picked up over the years I’ve never heard it translated as that!
In the book, it came across as 'cnut plate' when Buchheim wrote of the metal anti-slip stuff.
Saying is one thing, writing is another.

Well, I watched the first two episodes of the new series.
My first question is: Why does France not have any daylight? For long periods I was watching a black screen with noises off. Half the time I couldn't tell who was who (or doing what to whom) because everything was in darkness. Actually, many directors are doing this and when done in conjunction with 'handheld' camera's, shaking and jumping all over place, it ruins the viewing experience for me. The later Jason Bourne films used handheld camera's and, I think, spoiled them.
I know that Director's want to innovate and bring a sense of immediacy to their films but I'm not sure this is the right way to do it. It's certainly alienating me.
As for the actual story line, there are some highly improbable scenario's but it's supposed to be entertainment with some artistic licence thrown in so I may stick with it and see how it develops. I just wish that they would make it a bit lighter and less black screens. 3/10 so far.

Last edited:
My first question is: Why does France not have any daylight? For long periods I was watching a black screen with noises off. Half the time I couldn't tell who was who (or doing what to whom) because everything was in darkness.
Might I suggest you adjust your TV settings?
A quick review of Ep.1 shows very few dark bits.
(Nice norks, though)
Also, remember, the blackout conditions at the time.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
My first question is: Why does France not have any daylight? For long periods I was watching a black screen with noises off. Half the time I couldn't tell who was who (or doing what to whom) because everything was in darkness. Actually, many directors are doing this and when done in conjunction with 'handheld' camera's, shaking and jumping all over place, it ruins the viewing experience for me. The later Jason Bourne films used handheld camera's and, I think, spoiled them.
I know that Director's want to innovate and bring a sense of immediacy to their films but I'm not sure this is the right way to do it. It's certainly alienating me.
As for the actual story line, there are some highly improbable scenario's but it's supposed to be entertainment with some artistic licence thrown in so I may stick with it and see how it develops. I just wish that they would make it a bit lighter and less black screens. 3/10 so far.
Maybe to help hide the fact that they were filming 1940s La Rochelle in the 21st Century?