Das Boot new series

The Thing. John Carpenter's adaptation (1982) was much better than the B&W version with a guy in a rubber mask (1951).
Too fcuking right. Defibrillators scare the crap out of me even now...

I'm struggling to think of any remake on film or TV that bettered the original. They must exist, but I cannot immediately think of any.

I suppose if a millennial first saw a remake, they'd think that was the original and if they subsequently saw the actual original, they'd think that it was crap.

For the most part, modern remakes very often lack the the charm and naivety of the original. Now it's all, 'We've got CGI now and by Christ we're going to use it. And while we're at it, make sure that we cast women and blacks in the lead roles. Anachronistic? Never heard of the word.'
Michael Mann's "Heat", a remake of his original TV movie "LA Takedown" was infinitely better in every way. Leaving aside the bank robbery shootout (never bettered before or since) the famous diner scene between De Niro and Pacino is on an altogether different level yet almost word for word the same as the original.

But what about the theme music / opening credits? That alone is a massive hurdle to best. Repeatedly played over the tannoy at V LOUD on at least one RN vessel in the 80s...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Will it be politically correct to reflect the current status of Germany and its new citizens? Achmed the torpedo (Paedo) operator and Asif the Suicide bomber hauled aloft in the gyrocopter to attack the Infidels?
We did in Episode 1 see a new guy step on board from Windhoek in Namibia, promptly to be asked if he'd "fúcked a negress" (sic, their subtitles), to be greeted with, "Oh yes."

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
But what about the theme music / opening credits? That alone is a massive hurdle to best. Repeatedly played over the tannoy at V LOUD on at least one RN vessel in the 80s...
The title music was familiar to me. Was it not the same as the original?

First couple of bars, I thought they were going to play Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

The title music was familiar to me. Was it not the same as the original?

First couple of bars, I thought they were going to play Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
Doldinger. Superb.
Much sampled. Spew.
In 1991 it was covered by Alex Christensen and his dance music project U 96. This techno-version was U96's debut single from the album of the same name. It took the German single charts by storm and reached the top slot early in 1992, where it spent an unprecedented 13 weeks.

Added a dry land sub plot with wimmin.. I'll reserve judgement.
Thousands of women did a fantastic job during the war, no question, but War films and War series should not have women in them unless it's only about women, at best they should be in the background making tea or pushing little planes or ships around a table top :)

Thousands of women did a fantastic job during the war, no question, but War films and War series should not have women in them unless it's about women, at best they should be in the background making tea or pushing little planes or ships around a table top :)
I liked Susanah York in her knickers, than you very much.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I tell anyone I recommend Das Boot (original film) to (which is everyone) to copy the boat.

When hatches closed, windows shut, curtains shut and lights off. When hatches up, windows open, curtains open and lights on.

Holy ****, if I didn't feel like I was suffocating along with them.

Amazing.

ALLLAAAAAAAAARM!

ugly

LE
The only problem with das boot is they should all die on their first mission anything else is just Nazi propaganda

Not the best time to be on the bog.
Or in the shower, as I was yesterday when the new captain decided to throw the post-sailing muster drill and switch on the bells an hour before shift-change (when most of the oncomers are - funnily enough - just levering themselves from their bunks) instead of the usual hour after.