Das Boot new series

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but there is a new 8 part series of Das Boot starting on Sky Atlantic on Wednesday 6th Feb at 21.00.
The story takes up 9 months after the apocalyptic end of the first film. New cast and new story line.
Das Boot was one of the great war films. The new series isn't directed by Wolfgang Peterson so the jury will be out on how successful it may be.

Last edited:
Don't know if it's already been mentioned but there is a new 8 part series of Das Boot starting on Sky Atlantic on Wednesday 6th Feb at 21.00.
The story takes up 9 months after the apocalyptic end of the first film. New cast and new story line
Das Boot was one of the great war films. The new series isn't directed by Wolfgang Peterson so the jury will be out on how successful it may be.
It was mentioned on the old Das Boot thread last year as it was too soon to start a new one back then. Good timing now though, although some of us will have to catch up in a year or two on terrestrial.

Apparently it's been spiced up quite a bit - so much so a certain newspaper is referring to it as Das Boob!

I've already watched it, it wasn't bad. Started off kind of slow but got a little better with each episode.

Having looked through the reviews on IMDB I think I'll give it a miss.

Sounds like utter dreck

I watched the first one with my dear old dad and loved it. Not sure I will be watching the new one. Some things just can be bettered and should be left alone. "ALAARRRRRMMM"

I watched the first one with my dear old dad and loved it. Not sure I will be watching the new one. Some things just can be bettered and should be left alone. "ALAARRRRRMMM"

" SHE'S RIIIIIISING "

So they're not going to call it Das Booty McBootface?
Das Booty McBootface?

Trip Advisor review:
If you are looking for a surly crew who appear to have disdain for anyone who isn't German, then the Reederei Riedel is the perfect Berlin boat trip for you. Mein elderly capitaine and his almost identical crewman seemed to be a throwback to a previous time, when perhaps foreign tourists were an unknown species to be treated with derision and haughty amusement. My friend and I were made to feel extremely uncomfortable. We are, I believe, both polite and friendly, and were delighted to find Berlin overall a welcoming place, where foreign tourists are seen as essential to the business of the city. Somehow this message seems to have bypassed the crew of our vessel. To top it all, the three of them (including the waiter) smoked incessantly throughout the 3 hour trip. Lovely. At 25 euros (22 for the trip and 3 for the translation headphones which the captain slung at us some way into the voyage) it was expensive. On top of that, food and drink were not cheap either. En route throughout our miserable journey we passed many other tourist boats which were manned by crews who were actually smiling at all their passengers! If only we could have jumped ship. Shame, as it was our last day in Berlin. I hope to return some day, and take a boat trip where they welcome and value foreign tourists.
Das Booty McBootface - Reederei Riedel, Berlin Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

Will they get their hands on an enigma decipher machine with four rotas?

Hang on, wait... someone’s shouting...

“WHAT?!”

Will they get their hands on an enigma decipher machine with four rotas?

Hang on, wait... someone’s shouting...

“WHAT?!”
A few years ago myself and a very small number of other ARRSE members took part in an Alan Turing Cryptography competition ... IIRC initiated by Manchester University . The final test which you could only reach if you successfully completed a sequential series of others , with increasing complexity , was to decrypt an incomplete Enigma message sent with the Kriegsmarine Enigma machine ... we decrypted the message .

I watched ... again ... last night my DVD of " Das Boot " and all I will say is that the bar is set very high and to better or even to come up anywhere the same standard will require significant effort on many fronts

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Will it be politically correct to reflect the current status of Germany and its new citizens? Achmed the torpedo (Paedo) operator and Asif the Suicide bomber hauled aloft in the gyrocopter to attack the Infidels?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Will it be politically correct to reflect the current status of Germany and its new citizens? Achmed the torpedo (Paedo) operator and Asif the Suicide bomber hauled aloft in the gyrocopter to attack the Infidels?
NO.
But it might work.

But as others have said the original in German, with the subtitles(unless one is Bugsy) can not be bettered.

NO.
But it might work.

But as others have said the original in German with the subtitles(unless one is Bugsy) can not be bettered.
I'm struggling to think of any remake on film or TV that bettered the original. They must exist, but I cannot immediately think of any.

I suppose if a millennial first saw a remake, they'd think that was the original and if they subsequently saw the actual original, they'd think that it was crap.

For the most part, modern remakes very often lack the the charm and naivety of the original. Now it's all, 'We've got CGI now and by Christ we're going to use it. And while we're at it, make sure that we cast women and blacks in the lead roles. Anachronistic? Never heard of the word.'

I'm struggling to think of any remake on film or TV that bettered the original. They must exist, but I cannot immediately think of any.....'
The Thing. John Carpenter's adaptation (1982) was much better than the B&W version with a guy in a rubber mask (1951).

Added a dry land sub plot with wimmin which is at least credible but no sign of an insane chief engineer so far

I'll reserve judgement.