Darwin awards for 2018

Its the Mail granted, but its a birthday frolic on a cliff top gone wrong!
Man falls to his death while posing for a cliff-top photo | Daily Mail Online

This is the horrifying moment a man fell to his death on his birthday while posing on top of a cliff for a photo.

Footage shows Halil Dağ leaping down off a rock at the historic Urfa Castle in southern Turkey before losing his balance and tumbling off a cliff edge.

Despite scrambling to grab hold of something to stop his fall, the 39-year-old father-of-eight plunged 150ft, landing near a Kurdish restaurant at the bottom.

Offshore_Harry

Old-Salt
Some are hoping that POTUS gets his family to claim the award!!

If not then the mighty no.1 leader and part time mad man Kim of North Korea if he presses the wrong red button?

This is the horrifying moment a man fell to his death on his birthday while posing on top of a cliff for a photo.

Footage shows Halil Dağ leaping down off a rock at the historic Urfa Castle in southern Turkey before losing his balance and tumbling off a cliff edge.

Despite scrambling to grab hold of something to stop his fall, the 39-year-old father-of-eight plunged 150ft, landing near a Kurdish restaurant at the bottom.
Father of eight. Shame he didn`t do his sky diving trick years ago. One thing the world is not short of is Turks.

BiscuitsAB

LE

Not eligible as I'm afraid.

Some are hoping that POTUS gets his family to claim the award!!

If not then the mighty no.1 leader and part time mad man Kim of North Korea if he presses the wrong red button?
Second post in what will undoubtedly be a long thread and you had to bring politics into it. Sad.

OK so he has however produced 8 so bound to be lots more play value in the next generation - knowing of course what he's pumped into the gene pool!
How many of the Magnificent 8 have so far survived childhood? Not that I have any intention of visiting Turkey, it`s just that the prospect of plummeting Turks is yet another reason for not going there.

Not eligible as I'm afraid.
How does you being afraid have a bearing on the deceased's eligibility?

What exactly are you afraid of? Perhaps we can help.

the 39-year-old father-of-eight plunged 150ft, landing near a Kurdish restaurant at the bottom.
Poor fucker was probably hungry and decided to drop in for dinner.

BiscuitsAB

LE
How does you being afraid have a bearing on the deceased's eligibility?

What exactly are you afraid of? Perhaps we can help.
I'm afraid of creeping old age and the fact that I need reading glasses to see the screen clearly, and the fact I keep forgetting where I put my reading glasses, (and repetition of words definitely repetition of words) . Hence my random insertion of words and lack of correct punctuation, my touch typing skills have suffered much skill fade!

"Not eligible I'm afraid as he already has spawn" .Is that better?

I'm afraid of creeping old age and the fact that I need reading glasses to see the screen clearly, and the fact I keep forgetting where I put my reading glasses, (and repetition of words definitely repetition of words) . Hence my random insertion of words and lack of correct punctuation, my touch typing skills have suffered much skill fade!

"Not eligible I'm afraid as he already has spawn" .Is that better?
Nearly... try, 'Not eligible I'm afraid as he already has spawned".

I'm afraid we can't help you with the thing(s) you are afraid of after all.

So therefore doesnt qualify for the Darwin as he has spawned.

But he has removed the possibility of him reproducing further, so it is a Darwin, he has removed himself from the gene pool

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
But he has removed the possibility of him reproducing further, so it is a Darwin, he has removed himself from the gene pool
I've looked into this.

Darwin Awards - Wikipedia states:
In the spirit of Charles Darwin, the Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives. Darwin Award winners eliminate themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chances of long-term survival.
Which seems to imply that a Darwin can be awarded after polluting the gene pool. However, it goes on.
An early post, on August 7, 1985, describes the awards as being, "given posthumously to people who have made the supreme sacrifice to keep their genes out of our pool. Style counts, not everyone who dies from their own stupidity can win."
My bold. This implies to me that anyone whose genes have already been added to the pool is disqualified.

I've looked into this.

Darwin Awards - Wikipedia states:

Which seems to imply that a Darwin can be awarded after polluting the gene pool. However, it goes on.

My bold. This implies to me that anyone whose genes have already been added to the pool is disqualified.
It's one of these ones where there's no clear definition, as "removing oneself from the gene pool" even after producing sprogs is still removing yourself from the gene pool. You may have procreated, but you ain't gonna be polluting the gene pool any further.

I mean, it's not as if you have to die to get such an award either, another common mistake, as plenty get the award whilst living due to them doing things like putting a bullet through their own genitals whilst carrying firearms in their waistband.

This implies to me that anyone whose genes have already been added to the pool is disqualified.
Agreed... I thought it was the sort of posthumous award reserved for 20something adventurers that overstep their superhuman abilities or the thick as mince brigade of the same age who stick their hands/head in places to see what will happen. Generally just an embarrassed mum and dad to mourn them rather than kids.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CrashTestDummy The NAAFI Bar 56
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 494
GreyArea The NAAFI Bar 15

Latest Threads