DARPA’s latest innovation/concept Gunslinger.

On initial introduction, the idea of a missile carrying a gun might sound odd/ridiculous/waste of time, money, and effort.

When looked into a little further possible benefits do begin to emerge. It would be a weapon that could engage enemy ground forces without exposing manned aircraft. Modern surface-to-air missile systems have become extremely capable making expensive assets more vulnerable over sophisticated battle areas.

Gunslinger could be designed to engage multiple targets on the ground...or air, without risking pilot and multi million dollar aircraft. If shot down U.S. loses a missile and the enemy typically up to two surface-to-air missiles.

Air-to-air F-22 Raptor and F-35 are now designed for long-range stealthy ambush. Gunslinger complicates the equation for the enemy. US fighter launches Gunslinger at a formation of enemy fighters but follows it with some medium-range missiles like AMRAAM either from itself, or from other 4th gen assets/loyal wingman/missile carrier. Enemy fighter group must evade AMRAAM missiles but... Gunslinger is also closing the distance to pick off survivors.

At the present time a long term prospect, but possibly a workable idea.

tgo

Old-Salt
I'm not so sure that's a great idea, fully autonomous sub munitions.

Surely you could do the same with a drone, at least with a human controlling it they can decide what target(s) to engage, you could presumably carry the drone on the plane and launch with a human taking over once it is in flight.

Is this being developed with one eye on rail gun technology?

Is this being developed with one eye on rail gun technology?
Nope, it's more drone stuff - rapid prototyping and a loitering munition.

Nope, it's more drone stuff - rapid prototyping and a loitering munition.
I did wonder if it was drone, it would make more sense, but it’s quite specific about being a missile, therefore it’s terminal phase is at the target.

The issues are the weight of a gun system and associated ammo. It would have to be quite a large missile and also quite robust, therefore increasing weight further. This will have knock on effects of missile design concepts.

DAS with CAS.

Because every coordinated (dis-jointed) operation is pin point accurate, precise, and predictable. And it makes perfect sense to Swiss cheese small enemy elements automagically on the way to cut them off from rear support.

Disposable "Rocket sharks with lasers" to replace the Warthogs, Spooky/Stinger/Ghostrider, MLRS, Patriots, and B52s.

You know Rube Goldberg would be proud.

DAS with CAS.

Because every coordinated (dis-jointed) operation is pin point accurate, precise, and predictable. And it makes perfect sense to Swiss cheese small enemy elements automagically on the way to cut them off from rear support.

Disposable "Rocket sharks with lasers" to replace the Warthogs, Spooky/Stinger/Ghostrider, MLRS, Patriots, and B52s.

You know Rube Goldberg would be proud.
Being a cousin, no disrespect intended, you have probably never read, or even know about Heath Robinson. This appears very Heath Robinson, have a google of the character.

I get visions of a turbocharged drone loaded with a riveted on mini gun alongside a couple of hellfire missiles.

Being a cousin, no disrespect intended, you have probably never read, or even know about Heath Robinson. This appears very Heath Robinson, have a google of the character.

I get visions of a turbocharged drone loaded with a riveted on mini gun alongside a couple of hellfire missiles.
Or, as a cousin, no disrespect intended, I might just be completely aware of the slightly senior purveyor of elaborate British eccentricity, but have indeed styled this concept as a "Goldberg Machine" rather than a "Robinson Contraption" as it is DARPA, and therefore a wholly 'Merican idiotic contrivance without provision for boiling vessel or with biccie storage. ;)