Darlington gone to the dogs !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Feb 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been back to the North East for the first time in 20 years.
    What a dump. Newcastle was full of what you expect, VIZ is true to life vis the Fat Slags and other reet lush lasses but what’s with the Fat Slags/ lush lasses wearing half a tin of creosote on their heads?

Darlington has gone to the dogs, Except for High Row, on any other street.

The North Road A167, on every row of shops was a Kebab shop, wreck, empty, pizza shop, and Pound stretchers, Betting Shop, empty, 99p store, kebab, empty , charity store etc. then a few houses and then repeat of the above.

It was an eye opener how much it has gone downhill in the last 20 years. Is it really that bad ?

Even around Newcastle the same just of the Main station and the Eldon Square.

So what’s happened is it like this everywhere else?
  2. It's Darlington, it was a dump when I went through Catterick 10 years ago and I'm not surprised that nothing has changed.

It's like this in most places, Aldershot is a good example with a shopping center with more closed shops than open ones.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I've never known Darlington to be anything else other than a dump. That covers three tours up there going back to the late 90s, last one in the mid noughties.

It is the butt hole of the NE.
  4. Fat Slags in the Viz are from yorkshire iirc.

No mate nothing has changed in the North East over the years apart from the recession bringing about more ****ing nowt!
  5. Darlo is trying to get twinned with Brough just down the A66.
  6. The town centre isn't that bad compared with a lot. North Rd is however shite all the way up to Salters Lane. The first quarter is fast food joints and the main taxi office, on a Friday, Saturday and some Sunday evenings it is full of scrotes fighting and/or throwing up whilst waiting for taxis. The following mornings it's wall to wall litter and pavement pizzas.

The rest is as stated by the op, depressing is a polite description.

It has a football stadium worthy of a Championship club but a football team on the brink of going out of business.

When I finished my service the choice was stay up here or go back to Birmingham, it might not be great in Darlo but it's got to be better than Brum.
  7. I think charity shops pay lower rates and that's why town centres are full of them.
  8. Oh I don't know, I visited Newcastle a couple of years ago for the first time in almost three decades. The city centre around Eldon Square had the look and feel of a university town, the Georgian buildings had been sand blasted the streets were clean.
    It was quite pleasant sitting outside the Brit equivalent of a Starbucks sipping a mid morning espresso, a lot of the accents more reminiscent of Bath than Benton.
    Pleasantly surprised.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Well it actually has two Universities, apparently.

Im not patronising you there mate, I only found out a while ago myself.

Fuckin students.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Old bloke when did you hear the hiss as your cryogenic suspension chamber door opened.
    UK town centrres became centre parks for care in the comunity cases about twenty years ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Can you post links to Google street view? We could have a contest for the crappiest UK town.
    You've missed pawnbrokers and Cash Converters from the above list; converting swag into readies for druggies and pikies.
  12. The whole of t'north is one giant armpit in my hummmmmmmble opinion. Re-establish the borders of Saxon Wessex and let us Southerners live in cider induced peace. The North can annex Pompy and have it as a 'tropical' holiday retreat though. :nemo: Sunderland of the South.
  13. Really? It's not that bad and they're TRYING to make it better by building nice new stuff!
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Hi. Cant say I have ever noticed you before, so Hi. Since this is CA not NAFFI I shall demonstrate my customary restraint.

Could you leave it another 20 years before you come back up north? I shall bookmark you and look forward to your insights. If it was a dump 20 years ago and it is still a dump now, one does wonder why you returned? Care to share your reason with the group?

Baltic Arts, Sage Music, Theater Royal and the vibrant Dance City closed then were they? What was it? An Al Q bomb alert that I missed? The miles of beautiful coastline, hills and moors, the coast to coast cycle way / path would be closed for the same reason? Along with the quiet country pubs, restaurants and Bistros? Al Q. They are tinkers to be sure.

Yeah, thanks. We got that. Where do you live?

Dunno. You can tell us when you return in another 20 years. Safe journey home. Byeeee. Do give my love to the M25?
    • Like Like x 3
  15. It is true of the main towns and cities, Durham, Stockton, Darlington, Bishop Auckland etc that they are all clones - Poundstretchers, Poundland, Betting shops, charity shops, estate agents then loads of Cafes, fast food ect as all other shops have closed due to big out of town jobs and the Councils raising rates on the in town lot so they become untenable. I was down in Croydon last w/e and it is a dump yet it used to be the better of the London boroughs. I think the malaise is the same across the country. The little independants have gone and the high streets are just shadows, empty or full of places that you can find anywhere else. Welcome to 21st Century UK.