Dark Blue World

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by HarryPalmer, Jan 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ...........and Tara FitzGerald would very definitely get it.

2. Couldn't agree more. Typically BBC luvvies unceremoniously dropped it into the schedule the other week in the small hours. And, when first released, in the US it went straight to video/disc - film was accurately nothing to do with Septics and wasn't contaminated with a pointless Septic in the cast, winning the war of course. :roll:

No.9

3. It's rather like 'Battle of Britain' with TFG playing the 'Susanna York' role.

And it's got some aeroplanes in it too, apparently.

4. Very underrated.

Uses footage cut from the original BoB film , hence the reason the Spits in DBW wear BoB Squadron codes.

Could have done with more Spitfires ;o)

5. Not just digitally remastered BOB footage, the film makers used real Spitfires and a lot of CGI to spectacular effect.

What really killed this film was that it was released at the same time as the truly rancid "Pearl Harbour."

Having watched the film it's amazing to think that none of it was actually shot in Britain: filmed entirely on location in Czech Republic and South Africa.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Sounds like a rip-off of the excellent Pearl Harbour to me.

7. Good film, the bicycle scene highlighted the RAF's teaching techniques for formations.

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The was a good film about the LRDG shown on Film4 yesterday, Sea of Sand.
    Starred Dickie Attenburgh & thr Jerries used Stens & Brens!!

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Yeah, cos the Spandau and Schmeisser were not preferable.. Did they have Matilda's too?

What tanks did Battle of the Bulge use for the Germans?

10. I had forgotten about this film - will order it from amazon as I missed the TV showing. I visited the War Museum in Prague couple of years ago - quite a lot of RAF stuff there but unfortunately all in Czech

11. I may be wrong, but I thought they used M48, with Kojak and crew bombing about in Walker Bulldogs.

12. The Germans had M47s, while the Yanks had M24 Chaffees. The latter were actually in use in limited numbers by the US Army at that time, so not too inaccurate. Also seen are M37 self-propelled howitzers, based on the M24 chassis. All vehicles were courtesy of the Spanish Army.

13. I remember that you said you liked Pearl Harbor from the WWFE thread, but I doubt that Dark Blue World is a rip-off as its release date was actually 4 days before that execrable film.

The writer/director and father/son team of Zdenek and Jan Sverak are well respected film-makers in their native Czech Republic. As well as using some of the same footage that BoB did, and some CGI, there was a huge amount of new material shot using the aeroplanes of the Old Flying Machine Company, which used to be run by the late Ray Hanna, one of the first leaders of the Red Arrows. His son, Mark, was killed flying one of the last remaining Me109s during the making of the film.

You can think what you like about the story, this film is worth watching for the flying sequences alone.