Daring strengthens ties with India through Mumbai visit

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by MoD_RSS, Jul 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. I hope the Indian navy buys 20 of them.

3. and they all sink.

4. Poor Buggers

Alongsdide in the fleshpots of Mumbai and they get gripped for charity work!!

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

It's a routine RN tradition when alongside in furrin parts -

SOPs
    1) host a cock and arrse party for locals
    2) send a work party ashore to do something helpful and worthwhile and
    3) play the Foreign Legion at Cricket/Rugby or fizz-buzz.....

We held a Pirate party for the local orphanage on board on my first non-UK port visit.....Esbjerg in Denmark.... Jelly and Squeak Piggy Squeak and lashings of lemonade....cleaning up for Rounds was even more fun than usual.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

probably scoping its lack of 'fitted with' for when they get their soviet carriers delivered with some new bouncing jets so they can take possession of what they see as 'their' ocean.

7. Meanwhile, there was a CTP, work in an orphanage, a children's party, football, swimming and tug o' war and even some Brit Mayor called Boris in St Petersburg:

Mind you, it's getting towards the end for HMS York. She decommissions in September:

8. How much do they cost a pop anyways? IIRC around a $Billion a piece? You guys should try and flog a couple to the Indians...maybe they can even afford to equip all the "fitted for but not with" features.

The "Fitted For But Not With" has to be one of the most commonly used terms around this site. FFBNW!

9. Don't be daft it is just a recce before it is sailed in to the breakers, can't afford it you know.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Er....nope - the whole class has so far slipped in just under that number.....you're thinking those rather Gucci and delightfully gold-plated Aegis class - which of course a minor power with a proud seafaring heritage ...um..cannot afford... .here y'go:
    SOURCE

11. At £1B for six, I would say that's quite a bargain! You should be able to sell a couple to your Indian cousins (should you choose to) at the price? Maybe even the whole set of 6 (new ones)? Since they have a long coastline, they can field 3 of them on each side of their country.

12. Nope, thats £1 Billion EACH.

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yeah....though I suspect that number includes the development costs of both the MISS EYE ALL and the radar, if truth be told....however I stand by to hear that Birtish Aeroscrape Systems have royally scragged the taxpayer again....

And although there were still a number of former RN hulls gracing the Indian Navy list ( INS VIRAAT for one) , I suspect they would rather buy modified Kresta class hulls from China and gizmo-ise them themselves.....indigenous capability is very important to India ( viz Arjun MBT* and LCA project

ROFL

14. Biggest cost was writing down PAAMS and SAMPSON over 6 hulls rather than 14. Subject came up the other day at work.
    If we'd built all 12 as required, the unit cost would have been a very reasonable £660 million.
    I'm no fan of BAE, but they are in the clear on this one as they had really got their shit together on the last batch of 45's. This is a wonderful example of government halving an order and not actually making the savings hoped for.