Dapper Clothing etc...

Evening gentlemen. I’m getting to an age at which I’d like to start to accumulate certain items to pass on to the brood some time in the future. Got a couple of watches and pens etc. Now I like the idea of a signet ring. Being nowt but a Northern commoner I am not fully abreast of the etiquette. I wear a wedding ring so wouldn’t like to add to my left hand through fear of looking like some leather skinned retiree on a cruise. Is wearing a ring on the right pinkie the done thing? Next we come to the engraving. I was thinking a nice monogram deep seal engraved. Now, would you commonly have one initial on a monogram or two. Is it Christian and surname letters or Christian and middle? Does anyone currently wear one who could educate on such important matters? Next week we’ll talk swords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think of it as an avoidable de-gloving injury risk, and don't inflict it on your heirs and successors.

Alternatively think of it as an affectation, falsely implying aristo lineage, beloved of snobs, and nouveau riche poseurs (they'll give you chapter and verse on do's and don'ts) and don't inflict it on your heirs and successors, unless you want them marked as poseurs, would be my advice.

Spend the money instead on a good pocket watch, fob and chain :)

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure these statements:

Alternatively think of it as an affectation,
Spend the money instead on a good pocket watch, fob and chain
are entirely compatible. Other than hipsters trying to be ironic, the only people who wear pocket watches below the age of 95 are people doing it as an affectation. Usually alongside a cravat.

I’m going to get a decent pen as well I think. You say ney to monograms but I’m fairly sure HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Cambridge wear monogrammed signet rings. Does anyone currently on here wear one?
You may have this taken care of already, but if you are looking for items to hand down, have you considered a really good pair or two of cufflinks? Double-ovals in some precious metal linked by a chain are always a good place to start, and if you particularly want to go down the monogramme route they are a bit more discreet than a ring.

You may have this taken care of already, but if you are looking for items to hand down, have you considered a really good pair or two of cufflinks? Double-ovals in some precious metal linked by a chain are always a good place to start, and if you particularly want to go down the monogramme route they are a bit more discreet than a ring.
So here's what I've got to hand down to the bin lids so far:

1. Watch - Rotary day/date in 18ct rose gold plating.
2. Pen - Sunlife branded Parker jotter in navy blue (blue ink as well).
3. Cuff links - staybrite with union emblem from "notonthehighstreet"

I think a signet ring could only compliment such a collection.

Do they not begin to grasp the notion of 'finite battery life' ?

Churls.
I decided to treat myself to a black iPod Classic when I gave up smoking. By a fluke of luck Tesco were doing a double clubcard points thing so along with some voucher thing I picked it up for pennies. Seems to be worth over £400. I have never used it.

I never really thought about battery life. Presumably it would always work on mains power even if the battery is totally knackered.

So here's what I've got to hand down to the bin lids so far:

1. Watch - Rotary day/date in 18ct rose gold plating.
2. Pen - Sunlife branded Parker jotter in navy blue (blue ink as well).
3. Cuff links - staybrite with union emblem from "notonthehighstreet"

I think a signet ring could only compliment such a collection.
Staybrite?!?

Ye Gods and little fishes . . . . :roll:

I'm not sure these statements:

are entirely compatible. Other than hipsters trying to be ironic, the only people who wear pocket watches below the age of 95 are people doing it as an affectation. Usually alongside a cravat.
I quite like cravats, for the right occasion and have done for 30 years. I don't have a pocket watch though. And I tend not to wear a cravat and smoke my pipe at the same time, because even I know that's just OTT

Evening gentlemen. I’m getting to an age at which I’d like to start to accumulate certain items to pass on to the brood some time in the future. Got a couple of watches and pens etc. Now I like the idea of a signet ring. Being nowt but a Northern commoner I am not fully abreast of the etiquette. I wear a wedding ring so wouldn’t like to add to my left hand through fear of looking like some leather skinned retiree on a cruise. Is wearing a ring on the right pinkie the done thing? Next we come to the engraving. I was thinking a nice monogram deep seal engraved. Now, would you commonly have one initial on a monogram or two. Is it Christian and surname letters or Christian and middle? Does anyone currently wear one who could educate on such important matters? Next week we’ll talk swords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a Lancashire Irish commoner "an all".

I wear a signet ring on my right pinkie (to avoid looking like a chav, when I wore a wedding ring), it's the Prince of Wales Feathers and came from a great uncle who was with the South Lanc's (hence the PoW badge) during the First World War. It's quite a nice talking point here in Australia when I tell people, who ask about it, that it landed at Gallipoli.

Can anyone attest to the quality of Gieves & Hawkes off the peg jackets?
I thought that being on Savile Row they'd all be English made but it seems they are actually produced in Italy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I was wondering how they compare to other more high-end brands.

Can anyone attest to the quality of Gieves & Hawkes off the peg jackets?
I thought that being on Savile Row they'd all be English made but it seems they are actually produced in Italy. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I was wondering how they compare to other more high-end brands.
Off the peg? Go to Cordings.

I decided to treat myself to a black iPod Classic when I gave up smoking. By a fluke of luck Tesco were doing a double clubcard points thing so along with some voucher thing I picked it up for pennies. Seems to be worth over £400. I have never used it.

I never really thought about battery life. Presumably it would always work on mains power even if the battery is totally knackered.
Thats a point: Found the daughters old one all neatly boxed back up I shall have to get a new battery installed at the @pple store.
I've an iPod classic. 160Gb to fit all my CD collection (and a few 'downloaded' films) on it. Had it nearly 10 years now. Battery changed just once - at my local phone unlocking and screen replacement kiosk in the shopping centre. It's still going strong and used daily. I've recently invested in a 30pin bluetooth transmitter so I can use it around the house with bluetooth speakers, my bluetooth headphones or play it out via the radio.

Cracking piece of kit. One of the best things Apple ever made. Now if they'd only left iTunes alone when it was decent.

Cracking piece of kit. One of the best things Apple ever made. Now if they'd only left iTunes alone when it was decent.
Thoroughly agreed. I have the 160Gb about half-full & it is nearly always with me. Links into the car and my home stereo.

Such a superb item & of course not replaceable from Apple!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thegimp The Intelligence Cell 3
O Sick Jokes 1
wellyhead Seniors 60