• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Dapper Clothing etc...

One last thing: the coat front should be cut so that it covers the front of the vest. If the vest is visible below the hem of the coat then it needs to be returned. For the correct vest measurement this necessitates the trousers being cut with a rise similar to mess kit.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Samsonite. Lifetime warranty. Keep the receipt. They fixed a mate's lock on a 3 yr old case mid business trip
Have to agree, the place where I bought mine closed down after 12 years. I got a new bag every eight months. They hated me. Best money I ever spent on a bag, (just to see the look on the old bats face when I turned up).

Since then I’ve been using a wenger wheelie cabin thing.

Too small for suits but a brilliant travel case. Whoever it was on here recommended their stuff good call indeed.

Ah.. McC & W - used to go there with the LHA when it was in Beak Street.. I got my cloth shears there when I used to do parachute rigging.. Interesting shop - full of intense girlies with pencils stuck in their hair...!

In the In and Out yesterday, and hanging outside the cloakroom was a Tyrwhitt’s suit carrier! I assume either owned by a member of staff or perhaps a visiting crab. I shudder to think what sartorial monstrosity was inside. How standards have slipped

In the In and Out yesterday, and hanging outside the cloakroom was a Tyrwhitt’s suit carrier! I assume either owned by a member of staff or perhaps a visiting crab. I shudder to think what sartorial monstrosity was inside. How standards have slipped
Under manned, poorly equipped with an inventory that's almost all outdated, spurious jobs invented for zombie capbadges, infra in a shit state and questionable morale. Still, a banging on about shirts and an extra few hundred quid on a suit will carry the day I'm sure. Be The Best.

Under manned, poorly equipped with an inventory that's almost all outdated, spurious jobs invented for zombie capbadges, infra in a shit state and questionable morale. Still, a banging on about shirts and an extra few hundred quid on a suit will carry the day I'm sure. Be The Best.
Best leave the sherry decanter alone at this time in the morning old chap.

Well, it was the ‘In and Out’. What did you expect?

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, it was the ‘In and Out’. What did you expect?
The day it moved from 94 was the end for most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening gentlemen. I’m getting to an age at which I’d like to start to accumulate certain items to pass on to the brood some time in the future. Got a couple of watches and pens etc. Now I like the idea of a signet ring. Being nowt but a Northern commoner I am not fully abreast of the etiquette. I wear a wedding ring so wouldn’t like to add to my left hand through fear of looking like some leather skinned retiree on a cruise. Is wearing a ring on the right pinkie the done thing? Next we come to the engraving. I was thinking a nice monogram deep seal engraved. Now, would you commonly have one initial on a monogram or two. Is it Christian and surname letters or Christian and middle? Does anyone currently wear one who could educate on such important matters? Next week we’ll talk swords.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Evening gentlemen. I’m getting to an age at which I’d like to start to accumulate certain items to pass on to the brood some time in the future. Got a couple of watches and pens etc. Now I like the idea of a signet ring. Being nowt but a Northern commoner I am not fully abreast of the etiquette. I wear a wedding ring so wouldn’t like to add to my left hand through fear of looking like some leather skinned retiree on a cruise. Is wearing a ring on the right pinkie the done thing? Next we come to the engraving. I was thinking a nice monogram deep seal engraved. Now, would you commonly have one initial on a monogram or two. Is it Christian and surname letters or Christian and middle? Does anyone currently wear one who could educate on such important matters? Next week we’ll talk swords.

I'm not really a fan of signet rings at all, but it's really not the done thing to wear one with a monogram rather than a family crest.

I've seen it done, often by those who are attempting to forge a new identity at Sandhurst, and it just results in the person in question getting laughed at by people who notice what's on the ring.

If you want something to pass on then a Mont Blanc pen or similar would be a much better investment.

Good plan. A decent fountain pen would be good. I got my father’s Parker 51 pen/pencil set in the original 1950s case.

There was a fantastic fountain pen shop in Soho. I think its gone now, probably due to the old owner croaking or forced out by rent increases.

I have a small collection of fountain pens, mostly Parker and Sheaffer White Spots with a decent Montegrappa tortoiseshell. The old bloke cleaned up the old pens and changed the nibs for me.

I was talking to him one day and said I was torn between a Mont Blanc and a Parker Duofold Classic. He said go for the Parker everytime as it is a much better pen. The ink flow on the Mont Blanc is rubbish.

Parker Pen were clients of mine at the time and the bastards wouldn’t give me a discount!

I'm not really a fan of signet rings at all, but it's really not the done thing to wear one with a monogram rather than a family crest.

I've seen it done, often by those who are attempting to forge a new identity at Sandhurst, and it just results in the person in question getting laughed at by people who notice what's on the ring.

If you want something to pass on then a Mont Blanc pen or similar would be a much better investment.
I’m going to get a decent pen as well I think. You say ney to monograms but I’m fairly sure HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Cambridge wear monogrammed signet rings. Does anyone currently on here wear one?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’m going to get a decent pen as well I think. You say ney to monograms but I’m fairly sure HRH The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Cambridge wear monogrammed signet rings. Does anyone currently on here wear one?
Having seen one of those rings in the flesh, they definitely wear rings with the POW feathers on at least some of the time. There are probably some legitimate family rings with monograms on but thats a little different to getting one made new.

I'd strongly advise against getting one if you aren't from a family that wears them.

yes it complements my chunky gold bracelet & elizabeth duke sovereign ring(s)
Ahhhhh, good old Lizzy Duke. Does it say “Dad” on?

Indeed. I have an old German family crest that I could scratch into a ring, but I do not like rings and do not even wear my wedding ring - she calmed down about that after some 10 years. I used to wonder at the size of the landed gentry and aristocracy at times with the number of officers dapping around who used to wear signet rings.

To those who know a selection of good quality gentleman's accessorie's say as much about you, if not more, than a signet ring which even seem's to have caught on in some of the more spivvy corners of investment banking. I was presented a BFO Mont Blanc pen and biro when I left the army, I pull them out of the drawer and tuck into the inside pocket if I have to go anywhere to do some official signing. Add a good quality classic watch Rolex, Tudor, Omega, IWC, Panerai - Cartier is great for wimmin - they are about the only brands where you will not instantly lose half the value of the watch when you walk out of the shop with one.

There was a theory and practice knocking around in the early 80's - two upmanship. The theory went that chaps buy new and keep their bling looking nice and shiny so consequently everyone knows they are nouveau's, or Eurobond traders. Two upmanship puts forward the principle of 'you have had your money for age's and have so much of it you really couldn't give a shit about the condition of your stuff as it is all replaceable'. So you buy secondhand and it is: a.) Cheaper, b.) Pre-worn and dinged so you don't molly coddle it. It is a bit like the blokes who buy a new barbour jacket and immediately throw it in a puddle and then drive over it a few times so that it looks worn in - because only city spiv's wear shiny new Barbours, whereas any landed individual has owned their worn, torn and stinking Barbour from birth.

So you buy secondhand and it is: a.) Cheaper, b.) Pre-worn and dinged so you don't molly coddle it.
ahh Ravers & those rotten old 4x4's.....

Think of it as an avoidable de-gloving injury risk, and don't inflict it on your heirs and successors.

Alternatively think of it as an affectation, falsely implying aristo lineage, beloved of snobs, and nouveau riche poseurs (they'll give you chapter and verse on do's and don'ts) and don't inflict it on your heirs and successors, unless you want them marked as poseurs, would be my advice.

Spend the money instead on a good pocket watch, fob and chain :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thegimp The Intelligence Cell 3
O Sick Jokes 1
wellyhead Seniors 60